You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Vatican lists "new deadly sins"

Pride&Glory wrote:
the_real_jessica wrote:

I will not provide more.

I could. But some things are best left unknown or unsaid.

Think what you want.

Time will show you. As you still live. Nothing can and will stop what must happen.

That just shows weakness. If you have something then post it. Don't play these I have info but you can't handle it angles.

That's all they have.  Their arguments wouldn't hold any weight in an academic/intellectual forum, so they distort it to say the masses could never understand.  Keep in mind that Jessica claims there is a plan  in motion to move the Earth's elite to a spaceship so we will all die here.  Just putting things in perspective.  The Church has done alot of good, and like any human group, has made many errors.  Their intent however is ultimately in the right place and certainly don't qualify as evil.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I certainly have my own reservations and issues with the Catholic Church and organized religion in general.  I simply wonder how one can label it the most evil institution ever?  Specifically when the message of that institution is love thy neighbor and do onto others as you would have them do on to you.  We all know there are problems in how this is followed and executed.  I just don't believe one can inteligently show them to be an evil institution, let alone the most evil one.

That's a matter of perception.

The Catholic church demolished womens place in society for over a thousand years. We're still suffering from the after effects.

They held our scientific evolution back for a thousand years.

They waged war, enslaved, tortured and killed in the name of god for just as long, and in many ways still do.

They supported the nazi's and even helped thousands of them escape.

They are partially responsible for the AIDS epidemic through their disapproval of condoms.

And most importantly, they have shitted all over the true purpose of Christianity with their distortion of the message.

The reason I call them the most evil is because I view all organized groups as unhealthy for society, and none more than organized religion. The Catholic Church have been around the longest and done the most, so they get the honorable prize.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I certainly have my own reservations and issues with the Catholic Church and organized religion in general.  I simply wonder how one can label it the most evil institution ever?  Specifically when the message of that institution is love thy neighbor and do onto others as you would have them do on to you.  We all know there are problems in how this is followed and executed.  I just don't believe one can inteligently show them to be an evil institution, let alone the most evil one.

The Catholic church demolished womens place in society for over a thousand years. We're still suffering from the after effects.
They waged war, enslaved, tortured and killed in the name of god for just as long, and in many ways still do.
They are partially responsible for the AIDS epidemic through their disapproval of condoms.
And most importantly, they have shitted all over the true purpose of Christianity with their distortion of the message.
The reason I call them the most evil is because I view all organized groups as unhealthy for society, and none more than organized religion. The Catholic Church have been around the longest and done the most, so they get the honorable prize.

great post and examples.
randall, no offense but i think you should catch up on your history books. and by history i don't mean the last century, i mean from the beggining. it's the most well organised institution ever.

i've read the "new sins", who are they to decide what a sin is? isn't that what their god does? are they playing god now?

Randall Flagg

supaplex wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

great post and examples.
randall, no offense but i think you should catch up on your history books. and by history i don't mean the last century, i mean from the beggining. it's the most well organised institution ever.

i've read the "new sins", who are they to decide what a sin is? isn't that what their god does? are they playing god now?

If you're going to question my education level and knowledge of history, be sure your's surpasses my own.  Polluxm's example begs many questions.  I believe Culture and Religion are intertwined.  So which one affects the other more?  If the church is responsible for holding back scientific progress, why had the tribes in Africa and North America not even create the wheel or written language?  They had never heard of Cathloicism.  There's more to Polluxm's argument than is being shown here, let's just say he makes many assumptions about things you probably haven't considered.  The greatest advances in science came from Europe under the "rule" of the church.  I'm not arguing that the Catholic church hasn't be influenced by corruption and has done things I don't agree with, I'm simply stating that they're not evil and certainly not the most evil.  From the short list of reasons why Polluxlm considers the Church to be evil, don't you think the Islamic faith would better fit those?  Who has trampled on women's rights and impeded cultural and scientific growth more than Islam?

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

If you're going to question my education level and knowledge of history, be sure your's surpasses my own.  Polluxm's example begs many questions.  I believe Culture and Religion are intertwined.  So which one affects the other more?  If the church is responsible for holding back scientific progress, why had the tribes in Africa and North America not even create the wheel or written language?  They had never heard of Cathloicism.

Those are cultural reasons. The west however has "always" been a source of innovation, except for the period where we were under the popes heels. 

There's more to Polluxm's argument than is being shown here, let's just say he makes many assumptions about things you probably haven't considered.  The greatest advances in science came from Europe under the "rule" of the church.

Imo that was a result of the Church losing their power. Martin Luther played a huge part in reforming Europe. And don't forget a lot of those advances came from the knowledge gathered by the Ottomans/Moors and the Chinese.

I'm not arguing that the Catholic church hasn't be influenced by corruption and has done things I don't agree with, I'm simply stating that they're not evil and certainly not the most evil.  From the short list of reasons why Polluxlm considers the Church to be evil, don't you think the Islamic faith would better fit those?  Who has trampled on women's rights and impeded cultural and scientific growth more than Islam?

The Islamic faith is basically Christianity v2.0. You're forgetting that the Islamic empires were masters in mathematics, astronomy, medicine etc. when we were busy paying ourselves out of hell.

And don't get me wrong, I'm aware of many exceptions. Generally though organized religion, be it Christianity, Islam, Judaism (all the same god, kinda ironic) etc. have done so much harm to humanity over the millenia. Attaching groups of people to a person or an empire is one thing, that passes, an eternal god however... 

Guess I don't fancy the idea of who to fuck, when to do it, how to do it and how often to do it, what to eat, what to believe, what to learn, what medicines and operations to have et cetera infinitum decided by someone other than me. Besides the points I mentioned, organized religion hinders freedom, growth, creativity, love, understanding and reason. That in itself is pretty fucking evil you ask me.

Good though, that humans will always trump these power structures in the end. Thank...god? 16

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

If you're going to question my education level and knowledge of history, be sure your's surpasses my own.

didn't intend to imply anything like that, sorry if it came out the wrong way

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

"They are partially responsible for the AIDS epidemic through their disapproval of condoms. "

Haha this made me laugh. No AIDS is the result of junkies and people who do not get tested and people who dont check with their partner if they are tested. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Catholic church frown against sex before marriage anyway.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:

"They are partially responsible for the AIDS epidemic through their disapproval of condoms. "

Haha this made me laugh. No AIDS is the result of junkies and people who do not get tested and people who dont check with their partner if they are tested. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Catholic church frown against sex before marriage anyway.

30-40 million people have AIDS in Africa, and that's the only place you can call it an epidemic. AIDS is not a big problem in the rest of the world. The Church is still very influential  down there, but instead of really helping them, they tell them to 'believe', 'refrain' and all that nonsense.

We can go a little further with it too. AIDS is believed to be a man made disease, and one of the groups spreading it was the church' vaccination programs.

Randall Flagg

No one believes AIDS to be a man made disease.  Only conspiracy theory wackos throw shit like that out there.  AIDS is spread through drug use and unsafe sexual activity (specifically homosexual sex between two men).  AIDS is an epidemic in Africa because of their low education rates and the refusal of their governments to intervene.  You can't make an argument that sexual relations is a private matter and is of no business of the government (my personal opinion) or that it requires government intervention when something goes wrong and people refuse to practice safe habits. 

People who stick their dick in or spread their legs for anyone deserve what they get.  When you behave and act like an animal, you suffer the same fate as the creatures who live in nature.  Mankind left "nature" and created society to remove the dangers and ills of living with the animals. 

The people within the Catholic Church view promiscuity as a Sin, and aren't expected to teach a sexual education program in your view.  If people only engaged in sexual relations with people whom they know and trust, STDs would drop dramatically.  There is a cost with every lifestyle or vice.  Blaming the Church for telling Adults not to behave dangerously and like animals for the cause of AIDS is so warped and off the point I don't know how to respond to you seriously.  Then to suggest that AIDS is a created disease just completely discredits your argument.  I understand that you live in a different world than ours, but you should really consider posting this bullshit where young adults and teenager who don't know any better may accept it as fact.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I thought AIDS started cuz some freaks in africa were fucking monkeys :sick:

Board footer