You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: In a perfect world.

monkeychow wrote:

^ Not to be a dick...but it sort of depends how you count....while he began in 1998...that was after a 7 year holiday from songwriting since UYI.

TSI was started as an EP that the band thought it would be easier to do than a full original album.

Axl took multiple years to even record the UYI vocals.

I'm not saying he is creatively done but there's a lot of evidence to suggest at minimum it's an issue.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

That holiday helps in his favor. Rusty, out of shape and a room full of completely new band mates. In just a few years they put down some great stuff. The main structure of say The Blues was complete in 2001. Again, spending years tweaking, fighting the label or whatever doesn't constitute a lack of creativity. Self esteem? Probably. Real life concerns? Definitely. But in the end, what comes out is up to speed. Not necessarily perfect, but solid and interesting songs.

If anything his amazing creativity is hindered by all the bullshit and all the expectations, but it's still there. There's no phoning in, settling for nothing. He still got it, and that's the only reason he even has a hard core fan base. The wait was worth it, in the sense that we who remain are willing to wait again, and again. Until the expectation for reward ceases to be there.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Not to be a dick...but it sort of depends how you count....while he began in 1998...that was after a 7 year holiday from songwriting since UYI.

TSI was started as an EP that the band thought it would be easier to do than a full original album.

Axl took multiple years to even record the UYI vocals.

I'm not saying he is creatively done but there's a lot of evidence to suggest at minimum it's an issue.

I`d hardly call time gap  from 91 to 98 " holiday " after they finished touring his personal life went to shit he spent weeks and months in courts plus he and Slash could n`t get along, they all left, he formed new band and offcially began wriitng and recording in 98.

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:

@metallex & SoG
Quit arguing like children. Accept that people have different opinions and quit insulting each other. You clog up threads with your petty arguments. Please stop.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

I`d hardly call time gap  from 91 to 98 " holiday "

Ok...holiday was a very poor choice of words...it does seem to have been a very dark period.

I'm just saying from 1987-1991 a span of 5 years the band was able to put out 4 original records.

Since 1992-2013 a span of 21 years there has been only one original record.

Those are the facts....the real question is why.....possibilities are:

* The role of CEO of GNR distracts Axl from his creative endeavours (it's notable these issues seem to date to him getting sole control)

* He never wanted to be as productive in the past and was forced into it by the old partnership. Now he does as he pleases.

* He needs the old band to create (unlikely - Axl did ok with other non-slash/izzy writers in the past, eg Del James)

* He's burnt out creatively or uninspired due to the horrible things that have happened to him.

* There are business issues in the way. (But I ask how many years does that cut it for? Business issues that no manager can resolve? Ones that are worse than the sort of issues that arose when the band were junkies?)

For the record I'm not saying Axl is burn't out. I'm hopeful he still has some killer tracks in him somewhere.

I'm just saying when someone else suggested it that it's one possibility that deserves being given consideration....as the facts show there is SOME kind of problem....we just don't exactly know what.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

image.jpg

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'd love to see Axl confront whatever the roadblock is and go back to sharing his mind with us.

To me he's one of the premier songwriters of his generation and a public voice in music that's sadly missed.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'd love to see Axl confront whatever the roadblock is and go back to sharing his mind with us.

To me he's one of the premier songwriters of his generation and a public voice in music that's sadly missed.

Very much agree.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
RaZor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Very much agree.

Yep, at the end of the day, for how much shit I give Axl, when he's on his game he's still great.
And I'd love to see him succeed again

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Putting out albums has nothing to do with if you're done creatively.

There's plenty of artists who have loads of material that isn't released. Look at Prince. His vault makes Axl's look like a foot locker.

Board footer