You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

Axlin16 wrote:

I think Revenge of the Sith is beat up on too much. I think it's the best of the prequels, without a doubt. But the other ones... bleh.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The show and the film are two completely different things, and in that sense it's obviously a bad "sequel". But I like how a traditional cops and robbers film is played out like an arthouse flick. For a 150 million budget the movie is one of a kind. And Gong Li is hot, come on!

I loved the Miami Vice movie. Really great stylish flick. Killer soundtrack too.

I've said on here from the beginning.... Vice 2006 was awesome. A true representation of what the series would be in the modern day.

It's crazy to think how old it is now. The damn thing is SEVEN years old. That's crazy.

Yeah time is flying man. I just watched it like a week ago. Its still fresh which goes to show how stale movies have become.  That movie and Collateral are two great flicks. Both from Michael Mann around the same time. 04 and 06I believe.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Axlin12 wrote:

I think Revenge of the Sith is beat up on too much. I think it's the best of the prequels, without a doubt. But the other ones... bleh.

I have a soft spot for Phantom Menace cause I grew up seeing that movie in the theaters for a birthday party; so while it may have it's faults. I still enjoy watching it. It's just Attack of the Clones for the most part I think is the weakest despite having some impressive effects and scenes that could of gone somewhere brilliant in the mythos. But yeah Revenge is the better and strongest of the prequels. I completely agree on that. Sure that movie isn't perfect; but it's closest to the old films with new tech as we were ever going to get at the time. Let's hope Episode VII goes beyond that and succeeds.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I loved the Miami Vice movie. Really great stylish flick. Killer soundtrack too.

I've said on here from the beginning.... Vice 2006 was awesome. A true representation of what the series would be in the modern day.

It's crazy to think how old it is now. The damn thing is SEVEN years old. That's crazy.

Yeah time is flying man. I just watched it like a week ago. Its still fresh which goes to show how stale movies have become.  That movie and Collateral are two great flicks. Both from Michael Mann around the same time. 04 and 06I believe.

Yeah totally agreed on Collateral which set the mark. In alot of ways Collateral was a return film for Mann, who hadn't quite lived up to his obvious masterpiece -- Heat (still probably in the Top-5 of my fav flix ever). The Insider with Pacino & Crowe was fantastic and critically acclaimed but wasn't really an epic of sorts. Ali got love, but didn't appeal outside of the boxing world. Collateral was the film he reminded the world who he was, and honestly I feel to this day it's the defining performance of Tom Cruise's career.

Vice was rowing up stream with no paddle or race engine. Production costs overruns by Universal were only claimed to around $136mil, but most industry insiders said it was nearly $200mil, because of on-location shooting in the exotic locales, as well as Hurricanes causing production damage. People were expecting something big to follow up Collateral, and for it to be Miami Vice which really put Mann's name on the map post-Thief, plus Vice being so iconic, even to this day, the entire audience, each individual was expecting something different from the film than what they got.

Some people thought it'd be "Miami Heat"
Some people thought it'd be "Collateral with Crockett & Tubbs"
Some people thought it'd be a tribute to the 80's, set in the 80's, a remake
Some people thought it needed more of a hip soundtrack full of Phil Collins throwbacks, and less Audioslave
Some thought it was too dark, and needed more vibrancy

Those kinds of things. That's what happens when you do a movie based on such a beloved TV, ultra cool TV series, even if it's the original Executive Producer writing and directing it. It was truely a great, and sorely underrated film. I loved it the first time I saw it, and I was/am a diehard fan of the original series, and thought it was perfect.

Me_Wise_Magic

Just got back from seeing Gravity a couple hours ago. Fucking amazing. It's quite an experience. GO SEE IT! The effects, tension, and atmosphere. The film making and editing is quite masterful.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Ali (2001)

Underrated epic about the popular phenomenon Mohammed Ali. Mann simply knows his business. Great cast, score and photography.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Gravity, brilliant. Must see.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Me_Wise_Magic

Smoking Guns wrote:

Agreed! It was! smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I want to see Escape Plan this weekend, but I might be too sick. The plotline seems completely derivative of the Christopher Lambert/Kurtwood Smith B-movie actioner "Fortress" about 20 years ago.

Still from the previews, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Jim Caviezel, Vincent D'Onofrio... it definitely looks interesting.

Board footer