You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

My dad bought a used PS3 with a bunch of games, a modded controller, and some chords to set up. Can't wait to play it very soon. Also been doing stuff on my 3DS during the con since my phone sucks and there was hardly any internet in the con building. Got a new copy of Skyrim for my 360 since my old one was glitchy as hell; so I'm hoping to test both copies out and see if the problem has been fixed. Got Left 4 Dead 2 for free and a good deal on Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon on Steam and other things.

Also me and my friend participated in a Team Fortress 2 LAN party at the con, MAGFEST yesterday. Took awhile to set up and our team got pretty far; but the team we were grouped with couldn't cooperate or other reasons.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Got arkham origins which I've just played through. Not finished it all but completed the main story and most of the main subplots I think. I like it, very much like Arkham City tbh not much new and not really much of an origins story but fun none the less.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Started playing Bioshock Infinite... Ive barely scratched the surface but I'm struggling to get into it, think I'll ditch it and give Tomb Raider a whirl.

Me_Wise_Magic

Olorin wrote:

Started playing Bioshock Infinite... Ive barely scratched the surface but I'm struggling to get into it, think I'll ditch it and give Tomb Raider a whirl.

I recommend keep playing Infinite. The story starts off slow; but it gets better and more engaging later on in the game. Not a perfect game. Has its share of problems; but it's a satisfying experience in the end. Plus the bonus DLC is about to finish up and the first part was really cool. I honestly stopped playing Tomb Raider because I didn't like the combat changes of the reboot and I felt there was too much gunning down bad guys and not enough adventures and puzzles in caves.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Finally played Arkham Origins. Gamespot's review was brutally wrong and too harsh, but the game is exactly as stated. It's the least of the three games, but regardless of that it's still incredibly satisfying, got a great story, and is a great game play. The city is mostly boring, but still a great environment. I still highly recommend it. I also enjoyed playing it this Christmas, the way the story works. I played Origins first, then went back and played Asylum & City in order, like a trilogy. Very satisfying in that order.

AtariLegend wrote:

Probably weird asking this question here, given how few actives are left... but?

Anyone have their PS3 HDMI port overcharge and what did they do to fix it? I assume I'm going to find some sort of repair shop, which is kind of difficult in this country. I thought about getting an AV or Scart to HDMI converter, but I assume the res wouldn't be as good. Manual fixing including soldering ect, yeah fucking no chance sad.

This would be so much easier if only my PS4 played PS3 Discs. I know a ridiculous streaming service is coming in a several months for it, but a monthly subscription really to play games we already have?

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I guess its a job for a repair shop or see if you can pick up a 2nd hand console cheap.

These modern consoles are a fuckin nuisance, theres always something going wrong. I had my ps3 6 months and my controller just died one day, wouldnt charge up, wouldnt do anything, just fuckin died out the blue. I've still got 2 ps2 controllers that are 14 years old and no matter how many times they've been dropped, smashed and stood on, they still fuckin work!

Me_Wise_Magic

You ain't kidding. It costs $30 to $60 for a fucking new controller now. Ugh! It's ridiculous. Plus some next gen games out in today's market don't even give you all the content on the disc after paying the $60 price tag. The DLC and all the bonus stuff costs less than $20 more. It's getting out of hand.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

All of these extra expenses MIGHT have been somewhat acceptable if the game content corresponded to the cost. Before when they released unfinished, dumb downed or carbon copy sequel games it was in a way understandable since they claimed they were trying to maintain profits by "reaching a broader demographic" and all that, but now the consumer is getting fucked left and right for their money. Yet the games are still mostly crap. Gameplay, true gameplay, seems to be a mere afterthought these days. I mean sure, the games are improving on a technical level, graphics, controls, user friendlieness etc. but there's no freedom anymore, no real innovation and risk taking. Even RPGs are turning into shoot em ups since that kinda thing is the going trend, it's like genres don't exist anymore. I haven't seen a decent RPG since 2003 except Dragon Age Origins, but that game was essentially in development SINCE 03, so I guess that explains it. Command and Conquer? How the hell they ruin that simple concept? Now there's only Starcraft, which admittedly is one of the few games who don't release sequels until they've actually got something new to deliver. Rome 2 Total War was a total disaster, I couldn't even last 30 minutes before laying it down, and I've played that series for 10 years.

I wish they could just limit their money grabbing practices to the games that don't matter or that has always been that way. COD, Sports games and super hero franchises or whatever. Established stuff like Total War, RPGs and real time strategy already have solid fan bases, and they attract a very specific type of gamer. Trying to attract the FIFA and COD crowd to these games is counterproductive, leaving you with a much lesser product. You already got their money, but now you're losing mine. I could spend probably a 1000 dollars each year on these games if they were actually good, now I'd rather keep playing 10 year old games.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I guess its a job for a repair shop or see if you can pick up a 2nd hand console cheap.

These modern consoles are a fuckin nuisance, theres always something going wrong. I had my ps3 6 months and my controller just died one day, wouldnt charge up, wouldnt do anything, just fuckin died out the blue. I've still got 2 ps2 controllers that are 14 years old and no matter how many times they've been dropped, smashed and stood on, they still fuckin work!

I don't know about that. I have one of the silver PS3 controllers from Sony, and I've dropped that thing... good God... at least 100 times on hard surfaces, stepped on it... the damn paint is coming off of it.

Still works like a dream. Although it is getting to where it doesn't hold a charge as well as it used to, but I never properly charged them anyways.

Board footer