You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: Is sorry the most wasted potential song from CD

dave-gnfnr wrote:

I was listening to my iTunes on random and sorry came on.
I forgot how amazing the melody and even the chorus was on this song, Bucketheads work is killer on this song and Axl even sounds great but his childish lyrics just kill the song.
this song could have been a huge hit if the lyrics were not so lame. I really wish Axl would written better lyrics for this song.

And some of the lyrics in the song aren't that bad but some are just awful like

ou like to have me
Jump and be good
But I don't want to do it

Or

You've got all the answers
You know everything
Why nobody asked you
It's a mystery to me

or

You close your eyes
All well and good
I'll kick your ass
Like I said that I would

or

Nobody owes you
Not one goddamn thing
You know where to put your
Just shut up and sing

Those lyrics are just so awful.

The sad thing is the last verse is actually pretty damn good

You chose to hurt those that love you
And won't set them free

You don't need
Anyone else to be
Sorry for you
You've got no heart

You can't see
All that you've done for me
I know the reasons
You tear me apart

Did anyone ever try to remix the song taking out the lame lyrics.
Would the song even work with just repeating some of the good lyrics?:

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I like Sorry. Not my favorite song on the album; but still good. The lyrics feel like Axl in a moment of doubt about the past and the current situation probably with the Guns breakup, pushes towards a reunion, and moving forward with CD. Baz's backing vocals are a nice touch too.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The lyrics may not be his absolute best, but nor are they particularly sub par. The content is very typical Axl.

You could have Michael Bay direct the video and it would still not be a hit because the industry never wanted it to be.

johndivney wrote:

Awesome tune great lyrics

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

polluxlm wrote:

The lyrics may not be his absolute best, but nor are they particularly sub par. The content is very typical Axl.

You could have Michael Bay direct the video and it would still not be a hit because the industry never wanted it to be.

Yep and they didn't want the whole album itself to be a hit either.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If the songs on CD were great they would have been hits but they were mostly all overproduced and it took so long it had to be a perfect album like AFD to be a hit.

If CD was released in 2002 less produced it probably would have faired much better.

Sorry lyrics IMO are just horrible, its alway wollowing in self pity, thinking the whole world is out to get him.

Sorry could have been a huge hit if the lyrics were on par with his great songs and if it was released as a single.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If the songs on CD were great they would have been hits but they were mostly all overproduced and it took so long it had to be a perfect album like AFD to be a hit.

If CD was released in 2002 less produced it probably would have faired much better.

Sorry lyrics IMO are just horrible, its alway wollowing in self pity, thinking the whole world is out to get him.

Sorry could have been a huge hit if the lyrics were on par with his great songs and if it was released as a single.

Hits are mostly marketed, not composed. If middle of the road stuff from Metallica, Ac/Dc and U2 can create hits then I don't see any reason why stuff like CD, The Blues and Better couldn't be hits. Now clearly this isn't all the label's fault. Axl not being the best promoter and the public animosity towards him played a big part, but the point is that having a good to great song doesn't necessarily mean it will be a hit, nor does it mean the song or lyrics were bad because it wasn't a hit.

If you had simply said you didn't like the lyrics we could sort of agree, it's the "hit" part I can't agree with. I have a few friends who loved Sorry the first time they heard it, and they're not close to being GN'R fans. So I'm not at all sure it couldn't have been a hit if they had pushed for it with heavy marketing. Who really cares about lyrics anyway? Certainly not the average music buying person. Look at what's topping the charts, not exactly Lovecraft.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Some of the lyrics are great, others not so. It bugged me that it swung between deep/poetic to childish and lame but then I wondered if it was written intentionally polar in nature?

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

Nobody owes you
Not one goddamn thing
Just shut up and sing

[...]

I like that last quoted verse smile

Also, kind of the reverse of what you asked for but Evader did remix Sorry. It removed the awesome music and left Axls vocals hmm http://vimeo.com/70300287 . You could always track down the .moggs ripped from Rock Band game and remove the vocals smile I think I have them still if you want me to upload?

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Will wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

Nobody owes you
Not one goddamn thing
Just shut up and sing

[...]

I like that last quoted verse smile

Also, kind of the reverse of what you asked for but Evader did remix Sorry. It removed the awesome music and left Axls vocals hmm http://vimeo.com/70300287 . You could always track down the .moggs ripped from Rock Band game and remove the vocals smile I think I have them still if you want me to upload?

Im good thanks for the offer though.

Board footer