You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Listened to Libertad yesterday.............

-D- wrote:

Like, don't love. I don't HATE the overall album. Just hate the way the guitars sound which makes the album way less than it could have been. Scott still has THAT something that I can listen to all day long.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Libertad was light years better than Contraband, imo. The production was lo-fi, and was meant to sound that way. Had a cool indie feel. Dave didn't sound good, but that was Dave... Might give it another listen muhself now.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Libertad was light years better than Contraband, imo

I still don't get what people see in Libertad that makes them think that...

Contraband was the perfect marriage of STP and GN'R while molding into it's own kinda sound.
Libertad sounds like a band that is bored, uninspired, and going through the motions.

And besides, I don't want indie pop from Slash, Duff and Matt, I'd much prefer big fuck off rock n roll! 9

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Contraband had that sound of aggression and frustration that Libertad lacks. Libertad is safe. Nothing dangerous there. I do like Let It Roll though!!

misterID

misterID wrote:

Contraband had HORRIBLE songs.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Going back and listening to both albums, Contraband was decent but that band was fucking soulless. Two big things contributed to this - 1. Matt Sorum, who has the soul of a wet noodle. I feel he is basically the Bumblefoot of drummers. Great technical player, but where's the feel?

The second, and biggest reason why they had no soul is Dave Kushner. Absolute turd. A The Edge wannabe - and that's saying a lot because Edge fucking blows. Totally ruined the Slash/Duff sound.

Another part is that I always felt the lyrics were a bit rushed - how long before Weiland was announced did they release Contraband? Less than a year? Not saying it takes Axl-time to write good lyrics (some CD songs still have awful lyrics) but just felt like the lyrical content and the musical content didn't really match up.

misterID

misterID wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Going back and listening to both albums, Contraband was decent but that band was fucking soulless. Two big things contributed to this - 1. Matt Sorum, who has the soul of a wet noodle. I feel he is basically the Bumblefoot of drummers. Great technical player, but where's the feel?

The second, and biggest reason why they had no soul is Dave Kushner. Absolute turd. A The Edge wannabe - and that's saying a lot because Edge fucking blows. Totally ruined the Slash/Duff sound.

Another part is that I always felt the lyrics were a bit rushed - how long before Weiland was announced did they release Contraband? Less than a year? Not saying it takes Axl-time to write good lyrics (some CD songs still have awful lyrics) but just felt like the lyrical content and the musical content didn't really match up.

Exactly the way I feel.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Everyone was like, "Kushner's secret weapon is his use of effects and pedals"... Kush is a wannabe lead player playing rhythm.  They really wanted Izzy... period.  But, when Izzy flaked, they gave their friend a shot.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Wow, if you think the songs on Contraband are horrible, you must think the ones on Libertad are bland as hell... 14

Four great singles - Set Me Free, Fall To Pieces, Slither, Dirty Little Thing, and the rest was solid mix of rockers and ballads.

misterID

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Wow, if you think the songs on Contraband are horrible, you must think the ones on Libertad are bland as hell... 14

Four great singles - Set Me Free, Fall To Pieces, Slither, Dirty Little Thing, and the rest was solid mix of rockers and ballads.

I really liked the structure of the Libertad songs. Contraband seemed really unfocused and all over the place. I wouldn't call it filler, but it seemed like all the songs were written without Scott and he came in later and wrote some hollow lyrics and forced melodies. I swear he wrote those lyrics in rehab.

Board footer