You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Slash and Axl friends again?

Olorin wrote:

I didnt like the TIL solo at first but now its the highlight of the album for me, probably the only time a guitarist really lets loose with emotion. It aint Slash, it aint Bucket... its Robin and he's doing his damndest to capture the sound of a broken heart, I think its amazing. I like the heaviest and darkest metal out there but I still like that song, I dont give a fuck if its cheesy, I still like it. And I still like the album, but I d prefer listening to it as a whole rather than the odd tune here and there. For example I love If The World when I listen to the album whole, but when it pops up on a shuffle I usually skip it.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Around the 8:30 mark on Eddie Trunks latest podcast he says he called Slashs manager to request an interview and was told the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and Slash is laying low.

http://eddietrunk.com/live-and-on-the-a … k-podcast/

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I didnt like the TIL solo at first but now its the highlight of the album for me, probably the only time a guitarist really lets loose with emotion. It aint Slash, it aint Bucket... its Robin and he's doing his damndest to capture the sound of a broken heart, I think its amazing.

I, too, feel it's a great Robin solo, and he's really unimitable there.

Do you remember doing any of the solos on [CD]?

When I knew I was gonna go in and record one of the lead parts on "This I Love," I would listen a few times without playing. I would listen to the track without playing guitar and just kinda try to hear what comes natural as far as starting low or starting high or where to begin and where to end up. I've always liked guitar players that play in phrases maybe like a horn player who needs to take a breath. I don't think about it - I'm thinkin' about it more now because you've asked me than I have ever thought about it (laughs). There wasn't a lot of thinkin' going on to be honest.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie … _them.html

Much of CD's guitar work is frankly pretty atrocious, as it's cut-and-paste botch jobs. There's all this "incremental weaving" going on - try Catcher - which sounds exactly what it is when isolated. The mishmash of orchestration, as Tommy memorably put it,  does well to drown some of that into the wall of sound.

Mainstay problem; Axl lacked that strong lead guitar going in. Robin worked out well in TIL and some other places. Brians May and Carroll were  a bit restrained to work within structures that were already there. But the lead guitar, building organically into the songs, was apparently a tall order. The Bucket/Brain era songs are horses of very different color, to the point that Axl would've gotten a more cohesie record by releasing it as a double, with disc 1 having the Paul Huge tracks, and disc 2 featuring the BnB songwriting.

Will wrote:

the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and Slash is laying low.

Who's shocked? The irony of it all is that Fortus' comments on 2016 being a big year for Guns were only picked up after the Slash interview - he could've practically confirmed CD2 was coming on such n' such date without anyone outside the forums batting an eye.

Axl must be fuming. Nigh 20 years of 'moving on' were instantly swept away from public memory by a few casual words from Slash.

AtariLegend wrote:
Will wrote:

Around the 8:30 mark on Eddie Trunks latest podcast he says he called Slashs manager to request an interview and was told the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and Slash is laying low.

http://eddietrunk.com/live-and-on-the-a … k-podcast/

..But Trunk claimed sources behind the scenes told him that a reunion was put in motion last year tongue.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Trunk is such a fucking bozo. If you annoy Slash he will clam up like he is now. What did he expect was going to happen?  Slash needs to go dark. He put the carrot out there. Now he needs to chill.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

slash has been fielding reunion questions regularly for over a decade without batting an eye.  the fact that he is now silent gives credence to the weight of the situation and relevance to the rumors and speculation.

if he and axl are simply putting their differences aside as friends and there has been no talk between the two of them to share a stage again he would have no problem saying so in an interview.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm not sure. If you actually watch the video at the start when Slash is asked he looks more annoyed than dodging, like "oh no, not this again".

The media will run with whatever rumors no matter what the basis. I seen one article suggesting a reunion was inevitable that included "comments Axl made to fans about Slash in 2010", that just happened to be lines from his reply to Madison with the Lesbian part edited out.

The bizarre thing is Richard's comments were getting picked up by sites over the past few days, who think his 2016 comments are about a reunion.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If nothing was going on you'd think he could just say "yes we talked, sorted it out, but it has nothing to do with a reunion". We know Slash has been annoyed at these questions for years, so why add fuel to the fire by not throwing water on it right away? There's bound to be a lot more questions now that the prospect is still open.

I think they have talked about playing, or Slash is still hoping something like that comes out of it. If he didn't want it he could have just said "not happening". My feeling is he has been ready to come back for a decade or more. With Axl being what he is he knows not to say anything until it's set in stone.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Slash has never really ruled it out. He's always maintained he'd be for it in theory but circumstances being what they were it was a pointless discussion as it wasn't just down to him.

For the record it wouldn't surprise if nothing offical happened reunion-wise for some time. It may be years yet before they're on stage together but clearly bridges are being mended, which is it how it always had to start.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Does the reaction by the fans change anything however?

Board footer