You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Donald Trump running for President

Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

For @Atari Legend, the mass shooting statistics reported by Obama, the white house, and the mainstream media are a lie.

See the link.

http://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/compar … nd-europe/

You've totally convinced me by using a list that excludes shooting where other crimes where committed.

Clearly let's exclude among other things for example a robbery or gang fight or whatever where 6 or 8 people got killed say it's not really a "mass shooting", so that it's not really an argument for gun control.

Then for shits and giggles make a ridiculous comparison of bombings in the US to Iraq and say "see the US is a much safer place than Iraq, no need for Gun control".

Correct. So there is a drug deal gone bad. The illegal drug deal caused this. A mass shooting in my eyes are the school shootings and the California. Because those were the end game. No real motives. A drug deal gone bad has been happening for over a century.  BAD PEOPLE ALWAYS HAVE THE GUNS. THEY DONT FOLLOW THE LAW. You would have to raid every home in the US shut down all Gun Manufacturers, buy all the other guns up until the only people with guns are the police and military.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Some of these examples are completely absurd.....did I see someone saying that people making a living off the government eat lobster? Psssshhh....I lived in neighborhood with a bunch of single-parent households. EVERYONE in my neighborhood worked....and NOBODY was eating lobster or steak.

I think these types of stereotypes are dangerous. Sometimes it seems like you're just being angry and need someone to point your finger at....

I also worked in a grocery store from about 16-22. I absolutely hated that job. I didn't get a raise once. The work was shit, the pay was shit, and I was supposed to be ever so grateful to the owner (this wasn't a giant chain) for the opportunity to wash his dishes, slice meats, check people, and otherwise look at the look at the clock and wait for it all to be over. Only, I had to go back there the next day.

This was my typical schedule as a college student.

Wake up at 8 or 9 AM....go to class (ok I missed a few, but I still made it through).
At school from about 9 AM to 2 PM.
I'd go to work from about 3 PM to 9 PM at the damn deli at the grocery store.
Then, drive directly to the library to start my studies. I'd typically be there from about 9:30 to 1 or 2 AM. THEN....I did it all over again in graduate school, although that was only a 2 year program.

You know what though? I'm not even proud of it. I'm disgusted. I completely and utterly disgusted that that's what it took to get ahead in this country. It's complete fucking bullshit. All the while, racking up debt because what I was paid almost never allowed my bank account to get into the 3 digits (yes...I mean the days that I had $100 in my account was a good god damn day). The money came in as quickly as it went out.

It was a lot of Old English High Gravities and frozen pizzas. A few Colt 45s made it in there too. Driving around cars that were unsafe, and neglecting my health and my sleep sometimes. I am so glad I did it then, because I couldn't do it now.

In fact, I am experiencing some significant health problems now as a result of that time in my life. It took me 5 years to complete a 4 year degree. Now, I have almost uncontrollable anxiety. My back kills me on a daily basis. I'll be 34 in 3 weeks and I feel like a 60 year old man. I can't relate to most of my 30-something members of my generation. I have a beautiful girl, and we both are raising her daughter....she had an inside track. She is smart, and beautiful...and had both parents to pave the path for her. I envy her everyday....because she doesn't have to be an old broken down piece of meat in her mid 30s.

Finally, my success with my company has completely alienated me from my family. What used to come so natural and easy is now awkward and forced. The typical signs of jealousy are the undertone of most of my family and friend interactions these days. I've had to learn to deal with the shame that they made me feel for leaving that whole life behind.

Anyway....I'm sure it seems like bragging or that I'm being unappreciative when I share my genuine thoughts on my journey to success. But the honest to god truth is that sometimes I really do wonder if it was worth it. I go back and forth every week. Ah hell...I probably spend too much time thinking about it. It effects me in a very real way though....and I am supposedly the winner of this game called America.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Some of these examples are completely absurd.....did I see someone saying that people making a living off the government eat lobster? Psssshhh....I lived in neighborhood with a bunch of single-parent households. EVERYONE in my neighborhood worked....and NOBODY was eating lobster or steak.

I think these types of stereotypes are dangerous. Sometimes it seems like you're just being angry and need someone to point your finger at....

I also worked in a grocery store from about 16-22. I absolutely hated that job. I didn't get a raise once. The work was shit, the pay was shit, and I was supposed to be ever so grateful to the owner (this wasn't a giant chain) for the opportunity to wash his dishes, slice meats, check people, and otherwise look at the look at the clock and wait for it all to be over. Only, I had to go back there the next day.

This was my typical schedule as a college student.

Wake up at 8 or 9 AM....go to class (ok I missed a few, but I still made it through).
At school from about 9 AM to 2 PM.
I'd go to work from about 3 PM to 9 PM at the damn deli at the grocery store.
Then, drive directly to the library to start my studies. I'd typically be there from about 9:30 to 1 or 2 AM. THEN....I did it all over again in graduate school, although that was only a 2 year program.

You know what though? I'm not even proud of it. I'm disgusted. I completely and utterly disgusted that that's what it took to get ahead in this country. It's complete fucking bullshit. All the while, racking up debt because what I was paid almost never allowed my bank account to get into the 3 digits (yes...I mean the days that I had $100 in my account was a good god damn day). The money came in as quickly as it went out.

It was a lot of Old English High Gravities and frozen pizzas. A few Colt 45s made it in there too. Driving around cars that were unsafe, and neglecting my health and my sleep sometimes. I am so glad I did it then, because I couldn't do it now.

In fact, I am experiencing some significant health problems now as a result of that time in my life. It took me 5 years to complete a 4 year degree. Now, I have almost uncontrollable anxiety. My back kills me on a daily basis. I'll be 34 in 3 weeks and I feel like a 60 year old man. I can't relate to most of my 30-something members of my generation. I have a beautiful girl, and we both are raising her daughter....she had an inside track. She is smart, and beautiful...and had both parents to pave the path for her. I envy her everyday....because she doesn't have to be an old broken down piece of meat in her mid 30s.

Finally, my success with my company has completely alienated me from my family. What used to come so natural and easy is now awkward and forced. The typical signs of jealousy are the undertone of most of my family and friend interactions these days. I've had to learn to deal with the shame that they made me feel for leaving that whole life behind.

Anyway....I'm sure it seems like bragging or that I'm being unappreciative when I share my genuine thoughts on my journey to success. But the honest to god truth is that sometimes I really do wonder if it was worth it. I go back and forth every week. Ah hell...I probably spend too much time thinking about it. It effects me in a very real way though....and I am supposedly the winner of this game called America.

Damn, heartfelt post!  The simple life was much easier at times. Like they say, mo money mo problems. Teach your kids your lessons and values about hard works so they don't have to drive beat up cars or work at a grocery store. You are in a better place now than then. But then is what made you who you are today. Be proud of your accomplishments.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Sweden will be majority Muslim in 15 years.

How did you arrive to this conclusion?

For the record, on May 19th, the central statistics office, Statistiska Centralbyrån (SCB), estimated that the population would rise by a third to 12 million by 2060. Estimates places the current Muslim population to below 5%, so they really need to arise tenfold real quick to match your numbers.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Are they even allowed to count ethnicity in Sweden?

I heard there were about 2 million recent immigrants from all countries at present.

A rise in the population of 3 million will not be Swedes though, with their negative birth rate and all. So a majority of non Swedes seems pretty likely. The Muslims thing depends I suppose. Most of the current immigration appear to be from Islamic countries. Poles and whatnot will likely move on to other hunting grounds once the job opportunities disappear. 

Whatever the future of Sweden, there will be less of this:

new148-820x418.jpg

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

In my limited experience: a recount of the people of Laos coming to northern Wisconsin after the Vietnam War. I'm not exactly sure of the definition of refugee, but I'm confident in saying that the Hmong (pronounced Mung) people from Laos fit the criteria.

The Hmong people arrived in Wisconsin toward the end of and after The Vietnam war in the mid to late 70s. The primarily white, German and Norweigen residents of Wisconsin have varying opinions about the positive and negative impact of their arrival and subsequent stay to this day.

I would agree with the observation someone else made in this thread that they mostly stick to themselves (immigrants, that is) but have been a hard working and contributing people to the state. Many of them were farmers which seems to fit right in with the state's lineage and culture.

Here's how it kind of looks to me:

1st generation in America: Largely stick to the culture they came from. Keep to themselves.

2nd generation: probably the first true generation to "assimilate." By that I mean, they are born and raised here. They likely go through the public school system and are immersed in the American culture while still feeling the strong pull of influence by their parents to homelands traditions and culture.

3rd generation: By now, the American culture has likely and completely infiltrated and you see for the first time a unique American subculture. The extremely unique combination of cultures melding into something new and uniquely American.

You can fight it all you want but the US has constantly been influenced by other cultures contributing and assimilating into what was here already.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I love the Latin Americans here in the US. They haven't assimilated that well thus far, but I don't care. They are some fun loving folks. And I love Mexican food. The people from Mexico and Central America BUST ASS. And I love that.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

2nd generation: probably the first true generation to "assimilate." By that I mean, they are born and raised here. They likely go through the public school system and are immersed in the American culture while still feeling the strong pull of influence by their parents to homelands traditions and culture.

3rd generation: By now, the American culture has likely and completely infiltrated and you see for the first time a unique American subculture. The extremely unique combination of cultures melding into something new and uniquely American.

This is true up to a point. But if the immigration is too dense the assimilation never takes hold and you get ghettofization. In Europe we experienced this with the first wave of immigrants in the 60s and 70s. The groups were relatively small and their children and grandchildren by and large assimilated. I have heard Americans express the same sentiments.

Now however we are seeing the opposite. The children of immigrants are now trending towards becoming more alienated than their parents, more religious, more culturally protective. The recent wave of western "ISIS warriors" come from these second and third gen immigrants.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

This is true up to a point. But if the immigration is too dense the assimilation never takes hold and you get ghettofization. In Europe we experienced this with the first wave of immigrants in the 60s and 70s. The groups were relatively small and their children and grandchildren by and large assimilated. I have heard Americans express the same sentiments.

Now however we are seeing the opposite. The children of immigrants are now trending towards becoming more alienated than their parents, more religious, more culturally protective. The recent wave of western "ISIS warriors" come from these second and third gen immigrants.

Great point!  They aren't dripping in and living in areas where they are forced to blend in... They are coming in such large numbers where they don't even have to assimilate...  Now, in the old days of the US, the Irish, Italians, Chinese, Germans all lived together too in areas of town, but soon became Americanized.  The Latin Americans have not Americanized as fast as the above groups, but I am fine with that really. Their kids will and soon it won't be a big deal.  Plus their values and religious beliefs are pretty much the same as Americans already so it is a pretty easy transition.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

This is true up to a point. But if the immigration is too dense the assimilation never takes hold and you get ghettoization. In Europe we experienced this with the first wave of immigrants in the 60s and 70s. The groups were relatively small and their children and grandchildren by and large assimilated. I have heard Americans express the same sentiments.

Very true, it's very important to expose immigrants to local customs and culture on an ongoing basis, and that can only happen if they don't need to (or some would say are allowed to) fold back on their own community. But you can also see that dropping a lone immigrant in an otherwise completely homogenous community is going to feel very alienating for those people, decrease their feeling of belonging, ... It's not an easy balance to find, but clearly ghettoization is to be absolutely avoided.

Certain (very multicultural) countries (e.g. Singapore) have quota for neighborhoods: only so many people of the same ethnic or religious background are allowed to purchase/rent in the same building/block/neighborhood/whatever. I've always found that a bit harsh and too limiting of people's freedoms, but it has proven to be effective.

polluxlm wrote:

Which is exactly why 'closing the borders for muslims' is the worst thing we can do right now. The bulk of these western "ISIS warriors" are homegrown terrorists that barely know anything about Islam (one of the Syria fighters from the UK literally bought the book "Islam for Dummies" on Amazon right before he left to go and fight over there). Often these guys will feel either discriminated against (whether that's justified or not), or that they have no future, ... and that blame their community and surroundings for everything that goes wrong in their lives. And an easy target to blame (especially when you're part of a minority) is western civilization.

Board footer