You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

PaSnow wrote:

So outside of really rumors & speculation, is there an official plan for whats next?  I know the next one VIII comes out Summer 2017.  So how about 9 IX?  2019 or 2020?  And are they making a 10, 11, & 12?   Is it sorta turning in James Bond & just going on & on?

Also, Mr Wise Magic, did you say they're making a TV show?

Yes there is an official plan. VIII and lX were officially announced at Disney's D23 Expo as well as press releases with the spin off "Anthology/Story" movies. lX will be out in 2019 unless a spin off gets bumped up to that particular year instead. Which have been confirmed to be the already shooting Star Wars: Rogue One in December '16, A young Han Solo movie directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (21 and 22 Jump Street, Cloudy With A Chance..., and the Lego Movie) in 2018, and a third still yet untitled one that was originally supposed to be worked on by Josh Trank before he quit or "allegedly" was asked to step down from the project with how the Fantastic Four movie was a messy production that failed at the box office. Rumors were it was about bounty hunters and would of tied into the Han Solo flick. Maybe a Obi Wan movie dealing with his time in hiding and going on different adventures. This is the film project that is only speculation and rumors right now. I would love a Anthology movie dealing with the Old Republic or the wrath of the original Darth Plagus.  It could be James Bond like; but that kind of concept may be used for Lucas film still thinking about doing another Indiana Jones movie. Which they kind of need to do in the next couple years if they still want to use Harrison Ford. I have a feeling Ford will be in the young Han Solo movie maybe even doing narration or an intro or outro for the movie. Which means he may not be completely 100% done with Star Wars just yet. 16 Eventually years down the road, they are either going to have to go the Bond route with either franchise and re-cast when appropriate.

As for the TV-verse, they have one out right now that's animated called, "Star Wars Rebels" which takes place before A New Hope and it's pretty great even though it was developed for kids and families. They used some canned character ideas for the new trilogy for some of the new villains and such in Rebels. It's the same show runner from the Clone Wars CG show; but it has better writing overall. Would of loved to see more of Genndy Tartakovstky's take on Star Wars besides his mini series on the same time period which is also wonderful. I will say for the future that Lucas-film is trying to get "Star Wars: Underworld" off the ground. It's a project Lucas himself worked on for many years when the prequels were being shot. It's a live action show about bounty hunters, assassins, and storm troopers I think. Some of the ideas from the show's concept were going to be used for the canceled video game, "Star Wars: 1313". Which the original team hopes to revive someday with a different developer. Disney is thinking about the best way to network the show and budget costs. That's all I know about the project right now. There was a post phoned CG cartoon parodying the universe called, "Star Wars: DeTours" developed by Seth Green and the team that created Robot Chicken and it would of been marketed towards children. Lots of jokes about getting revenge on Jar Jar, Princess Leia as a little kid, and other things. You can find the test pilot reel online somewhere. It was made before the Disney acquisition and they aren't sure if the full series will be shown to the general public. A good number of episodes were animated, voice recorded, and ready to be shipped out.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

PaSnow wrote:

Faldor

Hidden Text:

agree it seems obvious  Rae is Lukes daught3r. Then I thought it was too obvious for not being mentioned.  Then i thought myb she is obi wons granddaughter or something, and like anakin in TPM she might have epic force abilities, explaining how she was so abled with the saber.  Although Finn used it well too so...

What made me 5hink of this tbh was i noticed when she first held tightly the saber, in  the originals when Luke fought Darth Obi appeared in a mirage and said 'Use the force Luke' but it didnt happen with her. Granted she never met him, but I still felt a similar s ene or statement could have been used.  There was a moment she paused where I expected it for a second.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

Rex wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Faldor

Hidden Text:

agree it seems obvious  Rae is Lukes daught3r. Then I thought it was too obvious for not being mentioned.  Then i thought myb she is obi wons granddaughter or something, and like anakin in TPM she might have epic force abilities, explaining how she was so abled with the saber.  Although Finn used it well too so...

What made me 5hink of this tbh was i noticed when she first held tightly the saber, in  the originals when Luke fought Darth Obi appeared in a mirage and said 'Use the force Luke' but it didnt happen with her. Granted she never met him, but I still felt a similar s ene or statement could have been used.  There was a moment she paused where I expected it for a second.

Well,

Hidden Text:

When Rey grabs the saber you do hear Obi-Wan say "Rey, you've taken your first steps."

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

PaSnow wrote:
Rex wrote:

Well,

Hidden Text:

When Rey grabs the saber you do hear Obi-Wan say "Rey, you've taken your first steps."

At Raz's cantina, right?  I guess I sorta forgot the specifics of that portion. So much to take in. Can't wait to see it again!

faldor
 Rep: 280 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

faldor wrote:
Rex wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Faldor

Hidden Text:

agree it seems obvious  Rae is Lukes daught3r. Then I thought it was too obvious for not being mentioned.  Then i thought myb she is obi wons granddaughter or something, and like anakin in TPM she might have epic force abilities, explaining how she was so abled with the saber.  Although Finn used it well too so...

What made me 5hink of this tbh was i noticed when she first held tightly the saber, in  the originals when Luke fought Darth Obi appeared in a mirage and said 'Use the force Luke' but it didnt happen with her. Granted she never met him, but I still felt a similar s ene or statement could have been used.  There was a moment she paused where I expected it for a second.

Well,

Hidden Text:

When Rey grabs the saber you do hear Obi-Wan say "Rey, you've taken your first steps."

A lot to take in and I guess it could be any of those theories.

Hidden Text:

I didn't really think of the Obi Wan possibility. What's the timing in all of this though? Obi Wan couldn't be her father, could he? Wouldn't he have passed before she was born? He also said to Luke that he had "taken his first steps" in relation to his training. So it's possible that he could've just been involved in her training in hologram form or something. In that flashback she seemed to be old enough to know her parents when she was abandoned, so I wondered how she'd have no recollection of Luke if he was indeed her father. But it seems clear that a good portion of her memory was wiped clean, so again, anything is possible. I also read the theory about her being Han and Leia's daughter, thus the sister of Kylo Ren. Could explain why she was so much like Han, as far as piloting skills go. But I'm sticking with my original thought of her being Luke's daughter.

polluxlm
 Rep: 208 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

polluxlm wrote:

You don't have to use spoilers anymore.

People who haven't seen the movie but still has the urge to click a SW thread, beware.

apex-twin
 Rep: 199 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

apex-twin wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Speaking of McQuarrie (I still need to see the fifth one as well.), there are rumors that he did a re-write on the shooting script for Star Wars: Rogue One which is coming out next Christmas directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla '14 and Monsters). So that means they are taking these films' productions very seriously. Script doctors come in all the time on projects. Also I think McQuarrie is sticking around for the 6th M.I. movie as well.

You might say McQuarrie and other script doctors are the literary equivalents to people like Josh Freese; able to jump in to someone else's circus, figure out what's needed in a potentially high-stress situation and deliver working solutions on cue. These people get paid very well for doing uncredited work; the monetary compensation covers both the lack of public acknowledgment and the slim amount of personal artistic expression. So much for any auteur theories; this stuff is high-end commercial enterprise all the way.*

Also, feature film writing credits (on studio releases, anyway) are arbitrated by the Writer's Guild and they have a strict set of guidelines on who's entitled to what. I get that, because relatively few people can honestly screenwrite, yet many more do try, even on big-budget features. Sometimes, script doctors are even given producing credits to circumvent the WGA arbitration.

I was a bit perplexed about your comment on Disney taking Rogue 1 seriously until I checked the writing credits. Gary Whitta and Chris Weitz. Ugh. Either of those guys is still to impress me as an above-the-line scribe, so McQuarrie is definitely a good person to elevate the material. Good for them Mouse Corp development execs to snap back to their wits.

*You might be curious as to how unceremoniously Josh Trank was sacked from the SW spinoff movie following Rogue 1. Both the box office failure and the dirty laundry on his recent Fantastic 4 film contributed to people squirming in their conference room chairs to an insufferable degree. Trank's hiring was based on the rush that he's a cool new cat, whom they could boss around and get a balance of safe and edgy for their troubles. When things went south on F4, he was let go just as quick. You'd think properties of this size are governed with calm and maturity. Sometimes, this is so. Case Trank shows the spontaneity involved can go either way at the drop of a hat.

The box office of Force Awakens is what makes them serious, the six-foot mouse is a greedy bastard.


polluxlm wrote:

People who haven't seen the movie but still has the urge to click a SW thread, beware.

Eeep!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

PaSnow wrote:
faldor wrote:
Rex wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Faldor

Hidden Text:

agree it seems obvious  Rae is Lukes daught3r. Then I thought it was too obvious for not being mentioned.  Then i thought myb she is obi wons granddaughter or something, and like anakin in TPM she might have epic force abilities, explaining how she was so abled with the saber.  Although Finn used it well too so...

What made me 5hink of this tbh was i noticed when she first held tightly the saber, in  the originals when Luke fought Darth Obi appeared in a mirage and said 'Use the force Luke' but it didnt happen with her. Granted she never met him, but I still felt a similar s ene or statement could have been used.  There was a moment she paused where I expected it for a second.

Well,

Hidden Text:

When Rey grabs the saber you do hear Obi-Wan say "Rey, you've taken your first steps."

A lot to take in and I guess it could be any of those theories.

Hidden Text:

I didn't really think of the Obi Wan possibility. What's the timing in all of this though? Obi Wan couldn't be her father, could he? Wouldn't he have passed before she was born? He also said to Luke that he had "taken his first steps" in relation to his training. So it's possible that he could've just been involved in her training in hologram form or something. In that flashback she seemed to be old enough to know her parents when she was abandoned, so I wondered how she'd have no recollection of Luke if he was indeed her father. But it seems clear that a good portion of her memory was wiped clean, so again, anything is possible. I also read the theory about her being Han and Leia's daughter, thus the sister of Kylo Ren. Could explain why she was so much like Han, as far as piloting skills go. But I'm sticking with my original thought of her being Luke's daughter.

I agree that's where the theory gets a little cheesy.

Hidden Text:

Did Obi Wan have any kids?  I don't think it was ever mentioned either way, and I don't remember the prequels well.  So yeah it would be sorta lame to say "Oh by the way, Obi Wan had 2 kids & you are his granddaughter" (or greatgranddaughter I guess). On the other hand I think it would be just as lame to make her Hans & Leias daughter, as then they're doing the whole "Oh by the way, I am your father... And she is your sister" routine that was Return of the Jedis ending.  My guess it JJ Abrams has this all decided mostly, so I don't think its gone unnoticed or for a future writer to come up with. I just hope its a decent, credible outcome. Again, just not something too lame.  Of course, Luke is the predictable choice, and I'm ok with that. I just feel they made that a little too obvious so far, although maybe we're all looking out for something like this due to the nature of the franchise.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

apex-twin wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Speaking of McQuarrie (I still need to see the fifth one as well.), there are rumors that he did a re-write on the shooting script for Star Wars: Rogue One which is coming out next Christmas directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla '14 and Monsters). So that means they are taking these films' productions very seriously. Script doctors come in all the time on projects. Also I think McQuarrie is sticking around for the 6th M.I. movie as well.

You might say McQuarrie and other script doctors are the literary equivalents to people like Josh Freese; able to jump in to someone else's circus, figure out what's needed in a potentially high-stress situation and deliver working solutions on cue. These people get paid very well for doing uncredited work; the monetary compensation covers both the lack of public acknowledgment and the slim amount of personal artistic expression. So much for any auteur theories; this stuff is high-end commercial enterprise all the way.*

Also, feature film writing credits (on studio releases, anyway) are arbitrated by the Writer's Guild and they have a strict set of guidelines on who's entitled to what. I get that, because relatively few people can honestly screenwrite, yet many more do try, even on big-budget features. Sometimes, script doctors are even given producing credits to circumvent the WGA arbitration.

I was a bit perplexed about your comment on Disney taking Rogue 1 seriously until I checked the writing credits. Gary Whitta and Chris Weitz. Ugh. Either of those guys is still to impress me as an above-the-line scribe, so McQuarrie is definitely a good person to elevate the material. Good for them Mouse Corp development execs to snap back to their wits.

*You might be curious as to how unceremoniously Josh Trank was sacked from the SW spinoff movie following Rogue 1. Both the box office failure and the dirty laundry on his recent Fantastic 4 film contributed to people squirming in their conference room chairs to an insufferable degree. Trank's hiring was based on the rush that he's a cool new cat, whom they could boss around and get a balance of safe and edgy for their troubles. When things went south on F4, he was let go just as quick. You'd think properties of this size are governed with calm and maturity. Sometimes, this is so. Case Trank shows the spontaneity involved can go either way at the drop of a hat.

The box office of Force Awakens is what makes them serious, the six-foot mouse is a greedy bastard.


polluxlm wrote:

People who haven't seen the movie but still has the urge to click a SW thread, beware.

Eeep!

All good points. Oh I know the full story of what went on between Trank, Simon Kimberg, and a bunch of execs at Fox over the Fantastic 4 affair. Lots of ego, misdirection, and everyone acting like an asshole during the production. Fox doesn't give a flying fuck about F4. They make these movies to keep the rights and they kicked Trank out of the editing room for the movie. Also they cut 3 big action set pieces, one of them teased in the 2nd trailer out of the final cut. Doesn't excuse Trank from alienating himself from those who tried to help and give their best go at the film shoot. His reported drug behavior and property damage are other factors; but haven't been 100% proven as of yet.

Back on topic, the reason I referred to Whitta is because Lucasfilm liked a majority of his first draft and he did write the script for the first season of TellTale's The Walking Dead video game. Weitz is who worries me; but having McQuarrie come in during the shoot and give it the right beats proves they give a shit about the future of this franchise. It was said it didn't him long to do his approved re-write. Plus I like Edwards as a director for Rogue One.

polluxlm
 Rep: 208 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

polluxlm wrote:

Lucas reps. come out with apology for recent Charlie Rose interview

"I want to clarify my interview on the Charlie Rose Show. It was for the Kennedy Center Honors and conducted prior to the premiere of the film. I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize. I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of Star Wars because of my great respect for the company and Bob Iger's leadership. Disney is doing an incredible job of taking care of and expanding the franchise. I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions in film, television and the parks. Most of all I'm blown away with the record breaking blockbuster success of the new movie and am very proud of JJ [Abrams] and Kathy [Kennedy]."

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB