You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Looks like rehearsals have started!

Smoking Guns wrote:

The Mole, I am very impressed with your drum analytics!  What about Sorum? Is he a human metronome? Frank?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

didn't want to start a new thread. Just an example of what Slash may sound like on some CD 2 stuff

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

What if ALL THREE were hired? Crazy right? Steven plays AFD, we say bye, then Matt's brought out for UYI, we say bye, then Frank's brought out for CD and new songs. Hmmm...

That's just a dream for the forum nerds.
Name me one band that does that at the level GNR will be if they get this going.

Plus each of them has to have their own drumkit/setup. Let's say that's not a problem. What next? They'll play only Appetite songs in the beginning? Then continue with Illusions, then 3 songs from CD at the end?
I don't think that's how this will go down.
You guys are talking about switching drummers mid-show like it's nothing.

If they are going for a last reunion tour then yes, let's say they can do it and play songs chronologically. But if they want to record and keep touring they need a solid line-up without switching people in-between songs. (Izzy will always be the exception 16 )

Probably Adler gets Coachella and Frank will take over when they tour. I don't care so much about Matt's involvment but the fact he said nothing to TMZ makes me believe they talked to him one way or the other. Either to tell him he's not invited but they'd appreciate if he could shut up for the moment (maybe even some monetary incentive for it) or he's involved on some level.

The only reason i don't see Adler involved for the long run is his substance abuse and inconsistency. I hope he can pick himself up and it would be great. But Frank is definitely in at least as a back-up plan.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

The Mole, I don't think the average fan has your expert ear. Axl is often flat or sharp, Slash sometimes can be loose or flub a note here and there.  I couldn't hear anything terrible with Adler's drumming but I don't have a trained ear for drumming. If we hold Adler to those standards should we hold Slash and Axl to the same?  None of those guys are going to ever do a perfect gig.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The Mole, I don't think the average fan has your expert ear. Axl is often flat or sharp, Slash sometimes can be loose or flub a note here and there.  I couldn't hear anything terrible with Adler's drumming but I don't have a trained ear for drumming. If we hold Adler to those standards should we hold Slash and Axl to the same?  None of those guys are going to ever do a perfect gig.

Perhaps. The difference being that Axl and Slash, faults or not, can sell out a stadium. Adler even if he was playing perfectly cannot.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I'm also a drummer and as I by no means want to answer by The Mole, I'd like to make some quick resume of how I see all GNR drummers:
Adler: the most amateurish of the bunch. Great swing but often out of tempo or accelerating the pace live. Just listen to the boots from 88 and keep tapping your finger on the table on each snare hit. As the songs progress you'll notice it has sped up. He has a great accompanying sense but not a skilled drummer to the point he can contribute a lot creatively ALTHOUGH Brownstone and Rocket Queen have great drumming. Even Axl mentioned the timing issues of AFD when talking about the rerecorded version in 99.

Sorum: a very skilled drummer, keeps the pace as a human metronome but lacks the swing and "space" for the bass and rhythm to breath Adler kept. Has the chops to contribute creatively but is often limited on UYI by song structures already in place. He really shines on Its 5 o'clock somewhere and other post Guns appearances like Neurotic Outsiders.

Freese: a methodic session drummer. Talented but also limited by what the client wants to hear. Doesn't have a particular individual style like either Matt or Adler but can be merged into any song. Is generic but good if you know what I mean.

Brain: probably the most technically proficient drummer GnR ever had. Has the skills and feeling to not overblow his participation both on the rhythm (listen to the isolated drum track of Shacklers) or on the fills. Knows how to play to the song and also make it full, with style. But his personal style doesn't merge well with Old Gnr material, as he is a more funky fusion drummer, not much a hard rock type.

Frank: to me the best drummer TO GnR. He has the chops to play anything by the previous drummers and also add his style. Wether you like it or not it's another discussion. Doesn't seem to struggle with none of the songs because his style is similar to GnRs. You could notice that Brain used to struggle with YCBM but not because of talent but because of a collision of styles. Frank does it at ease. His swing sense is similar.to Adler and he has the chops to contribute creatively (as did Brain), point taken by his additions to CD on severalnsongs because... Well, his drumming made the songs better and more akin to GnR sound (even Brain admitted this on an interview)

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Great Post Otto!!

Of all recorded GNR I think the most original is Brownstone, RQ, YCBM, and Locomotive. The intro to PC so simple and so kick ass.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Disagree about Freese, his drumming on APC is absolutely phenomenal, also those 99 demos show a real style, and not generic by any means.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I don't buy any of this, including Axl's preference of Frank. If Axl is willing to show Tommy fucking Stinson the door, with ease, for Duff McKagan, then he would have no problem showing the door to Frank, if necessary. I mean I think Frank's the best, but come on, this is a reunion we're talking about.

Only from what I heard, so take it how you want, Frank does matter to Axl. Even going by what has been said in public, when no one else knew what was going on when DJ blindsided them and quit, Frank was the one who heard from Axl that everything was cool, plans were set -- in the two weeks between DJ telling Axl he quit, and tweeting his note to the public, Slash knew DJ was gone, Slash wanted to rejoin the band and had squashed the feud, so its very likely Slash was in before we saw that note -- and to say it again, this isn't so much a reunion than a rebranding. Duff and Slash rejoined the band with Richard, Frank and Mother Goose. If we stop calling it a reunion it will make a lot more sense.

And Tommy simply left the band to reform The Mats and The Replacements, which imploded. Duff was already in before Slash, he came in to replace Tommy when he left. He was going to be the bassist when DJ was still in the band. Axl never showed Tommy the door.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Disagree about Freese, his drumming on APC is absolutely phenomenal, also those 99 demos show a real style, and not generic by any means.

What about Slash's self titled solo album? That too was Freese.

Board footer