You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

PaSnow wrote:

Saw it a 2nd time yesterday. Held up well, although I watched a New Hope on NYE, so I'll support the notion that it parallels the original too much. It really does in many ways.  Still, it's a great movie. I think Poe's character was pretty lame.  I just didn't think they needed to amp him up to be the greatest pilot ever type legend.  It wouldn't surprise me if they cut his scenes down in the final mix, he's really not in it much at all. And the blowing up of the station is exactly the same as the first, ANH. Also I felt the character should've just been some quirky slacker type, kinda like a Brad Pitt character in Oceans 11 or Fight Club, that or Kirk in the new Star Treks. The movie copied the originals enough we don't need "a great pilot saving the day" like the first one all over again.  Shoulda had a security/IT expert go up with them to figure out how to disengage things or something. Finally I though Finn working in 'sanitation' really was stereotypical, in an egregious manner.  Woulda been cooler if they had him working in employee surveillance or monitoring or something.  Making it ironic that he was the one that left, but also showing he planned his escape for a while.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

It did seem a somewhat of a reboot of IV, but I was good with it.    The mix of the old generation and the new generation made this movie for me.   

The biggest curveball was all the promo had Finn looking like the next Jedi, but it's Rey!  She was awesome!

The movie was better than the prequels (which I don't hate), and holds up well to the classics.   I do believe that - so far - episode VII has the best final scene of any Star Wars movie.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Mama's Good Boy wrote:

It did seem a somewhat of a reboot of IV, but I was good with it.    The mix of the old generation and the new generation made this movie for me.   

The biggest curveball was all the promo had Finn looking like the next Jedi, but it's Rey!  She was awesome!

The movie was better than the prequels (which I don't hate), and holds up well to the classics.   I do believe that - so far - episode VII has the best final scene of any Star Wars movie.

I agree with that sentiment. I just saw it for the second time on Wednesday and I still really like it. My opinion hasn't changed and I was able to catch more of the Easter eggs that were talked about after the movie's release. Especially that Force Flashback scene.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Especially that Force Flashback scene.

That scene was the exact reason I gave myself the excuse to go see it a second time. 

Fantastic.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Mama's Good Boy wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Especially that Force Flashback scene.

That scene was the exact reason I gave myself the excuse to go see it a second time. 

Fantastic.

I know right?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hey CC! 5   Log in  and don't even go to the GNR section to comment on the reunion? 18    13

Mama's Good Boy wrote:

The movie was better than the prequels (which I don't hate)

Natalie Portman was the only reason I watched those. Seriously. The other thing I'll never forget about The Phantom Menace is how for about a month after its release almost every person around had a 7-11 Big Gulp(44 oz. soda here) in their hand that had a pic of Jar Jar Binks on it. 16

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Hey CC!

I bet CC only left, because we don't run Fantasy Wrestling anymore wink.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Lol

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Finally seen it the other day, chuffed I managed to avoid spoilers for so long.

I'm quite surprised there isnt a louder voice unhappy about how the film is a blatant recycling of the the original, c'mon to fuck its the same fuckin story!!??  Except its a more PC version of the originals, any flip side you can imagine of the originals has been shoehorned in, black instead of white, female instead of male, gay instead of straight, old instead of young, orange instead of blue...

I did like the girl who was the new Luke, fkn badass, cant wait to see more. There was some great characters and story lines to tease us, but I found the shoehorning of the OG's into the story made it completely unbelievable and just fkn irritating, the fact they shoehorned  a bigger, better, badder, harder and meaner Death Star into the film should make it a farce alone.

C'mon.. A giant planet death star has just been a wee side project  in the backround while the  Death Star project slowly creeps up on solar systems and this motherfucker can wipe out solar systems from the back end of the universe whilst it can simply be destroyed  with a few conveniently placed  hand grenades by an oap and a walking carpet...
Sorry your just taking the piss a wee bit too far. I think its the equivalent of Ewoks downing a Scout Trooper with logs and good intentions, puuuure cheesy but still a bit of a stretch, at least to me.

I'm going to watch the new film next week, except this time I intend to be stoned, and for the first time ever I'm gonnie watch a film in the cinema in 3d. I think it could be ok in 3d, but I've got a good idea of how corny it will be, and I might not be so grumpy watching this time around... Hope so.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I do agree with you Olorin.  I'll give it a pass on that. I look at it like this, JJ Abrams was told to:  "Make a new Star Wars, and it had to be sorta like the old ones, but sortof original, but not too drastic a change, but it has to make alot of money.... oh and some of the storyline has to intertwine to bring some of the original cast back into it".

Kindof a hard thing to fit everything in.  I agree tho the overall story arc mimicked it too closely, didn't they blow it up the same way? (Having a fighter jet drop a bomb into the dead center pipe in the middle of it?), that could've been changed differently. I thought Poe being "The up & coming great young pilot" was stupid & uneccesary, and also the time Rey said to the Storm trooper "You will leave your gun behind and leave this door open"  Ben Obi did the exact same thing in the first one. Things like that.

I actually saw it in 3D the first time, then regular the second viewing.  It's good in 3D, I felt nothing was over the top or took away from the scenes. That was done properly.

I thought BB8 was great.

Board footer