You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Megadeth Mega Thread

Axl S wrote:

Saw a few people who weren't familiar with Megadeth(Megadave) in the Gn'R section. Never saw thread for 'em so figured I'd start and just post a large batch of my choice cuts from their records. Please chime in with your own. Also thoughts on that new album "Dystopia" I guess, think it came out last week.

Killing is My Business - 1985

Guitar & Vocals: Dave Mustaine
Bass: David Ellefson
Lead Guitar: Chris Poland
Drums: Gar Samuelson

Honourable Mention: Mechanix, the original version of the Four Horseman before Metallica took it slowed it down and added a bridge. To be honest can't say it wasn't an improvement IMO. Metallica's song is about the Four Horseman of the apocalypse and Dave's is about fucking some chick in a gas station 16

Peace Sells - 1986

Lead Guitar: Chris Poland
Drums: Gar Samuelson

Just linking the whole album, it's worth your time as a whole.

So Far, So Good... So What! - 1988

Lead Guitar: Jeff Young
Drums: Chuck Behler

Honourable Mention: Into the Lungs of Hell, instrumental track that opens the album.

Rust In Peace - 1990

Lead Guitar: Marty Friedman
Drums: Nick Menza

Again just linking the whole album. It's their magnum opus and is worth listening to.

AtariLegend wrote:

My favorite track from that album tongue.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Countdown to Extinction - 1992

Honourable Mention: Either Foreclosure of a Dream or the title track. They're both ok tracks.

Youthanasia - 1994

Honourable Mention: None really, at this stage the quality of the albums is in decline hmm

Hidden Treasures - 1995 (B-Sides Collection)

Various lineups because it's B-Side collection but for the two linked below

Cryptic Writings - 1997

Honourable Mentions: NONE. At all. If it weren't for the two songs above this album would be a fucking turd.

Risk - 1999

Drums: Jimmy DeGrasso

This album is terrible but for giggles, here's the music video for Crush Em' featuring Goldberg and Van Damme

Honourable Mentions: Prince of Darkness, it's a cool album opener and to this day the first minute and a half of it are played over the PA at the start of Megadeth gigs.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Urgh, clicked the preview button and lost the last post. Will do later.

AtariLegend wrote:

I can't believe you posted a video of Crush 'Em.

That's like the Medageth version of the DJ Ashba years tongue.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

My GTA crew name is "The Vile Droogies" and our motto is "misfit way of life" wink

"Use The Man" and "Almost Honest" on cryptic writings are amazing tunes!!!!

Last album I bought was United Abominations...but I have everything up til that point

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

World Needs A Hero -2001

Lead Guitar: Al Pitrelli
Drums: Jimmy DeGrasso

Originally I was going to post nothing from this album. It's not their worst album (that's either Risk or Super Collider) but it's definitely the most bland. Nothing really interesting on this one but since every record has had at least one video, I'll be fair. Clearly seeing Metallica do Unforgiven II and thinking sequels to classic songs that don't need sequels is a good idea, Dave produced this. It's alright...

The System Has Failed - 2004

-Session Only-
Lead Guiar: Chris Poland
Bass: Jimmie Lee Sloas
Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta

IIRC this was originally supposed to be Dave solo record but had to be released as Megadeth for contractual reasons. Regardless a return to form, best stuff since Youthanasia at this point.

United Abominations - 2007

Lead Guitar: Glen Drover
Bass: James LoMenzo
Drums: Shawn Drover

Endgame - 2009

Lead Guitar: Chris Broderick
Bass: James LoMenzo

Thirteen - 2011

Demos of New World Order and Black Swan had been released previously as bonus tracks.

Super Collider - 2014

One of Megadeth's worst records. Only got two things to post for this one and none are particularly impressive at all. It's a toss up between this album and World Needs A Hero for most boring shit Mustaine has ever put out.

Dystopia - 2016

Drums: Chris Adler
Lead Guitar: Kiko Loureiro

An improvement on Super Collider for sure, and a bit more interesting than Thirteen, which was a little bit like Megadeth on cruise control.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I gave up on this band eons ago. RIP and Seasons in the Abyss are the  best albums of 1990. So glad I saw both bands touring those albums. I need to catch up on both band's discographies.

I never bought a Megadeth album after Countdown to Extinction. I actually like that album(Foreclosure of a Dream is great) but at that point the sell out attempt was just too blatant. He wanted it to be their Black album. He ALMOST achieved it but it never caught on to that degree. Too much going on in the music world at the time. The album wasn't strong enough to grab mainstream by the balls and sink its teeth into pop culture.

Remove a few tracks from RIP, add a ballad of some sort,add Almost Honest,  and that would've been his Black Album before there was a black album. 16

Almost Honest is incredible. BAD timing for such a killer Megadeth song. Nobody cared. 1996-97 a strange transitional phase in the music scene.  Metallica had to reinvent themselves(or sellout as some fans say) with Load/Reload yet here comes Dave with Cryptic Writings.

Last Megadeth album I heard was United when Rex sent me a link to it when it leaked. Think I listened to it once.

I need to listen to  Youthanasia again. I cared nothing about it when it was released. 1994 was one of the best years for music in the 90s and they weren't even on my map.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

I thought the United Abonimations album was actually a decent offering for thrash metal in the 21st century.    I enjoyed it at the time.   It's not Rust in Peace or Countdown, but you can't repeat that.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Mama's Good Boy wrote:

I thought the United Abonimations album was actually a decent offering for thrash metal in the 21st century.    I enjoyed it at the time.   It's not Rust in Peace or Countdown, but you can't repeat that.

Agreed. I'll add that I enjoyed Thirteen and some of Endgame as well. I've been hearing Dystopia has been getting great reviews; so I may check it out one day once I catch up with other music.

Board footer