You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

polluxlm wrote:
misterID wrote:

If he nominates Loretta Lynch, someone who is actually liked by moderate republicans, the GOP will have officially shit the bed. The first female black supreme court justice... Those optics can't be undone. I actually like her and think she'd be a good fit. I don't think she'll get the nomination as they have vowed to vote no on anyone he nominates. That could very well cost them the senate.

Would be the only Protestant SCJ too, how shockingly that may sound in a majority Protestant country.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

We need some atheists/agnostics/non-religious on the court, and in government in general.   We are over 20% of the population (who knows how many more are in the closet).

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Boss

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Shows how far we've fallen as a society when the reporter thinks lies is just something that belongs in politics.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Shows how far we've fallen as a society when the reporter thinks lies is just something that belongs in politics.

younggunner
 Rep: 7 

younggunner wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

So what is everyone's take on the aftermath of Justice Scalia's death?

The left is saying, nominating a justice is the President's job and Scalia should be replaced as soon as possible.   If President Obama chooses his replacement, he will almost certainly be far to the left of Scalia, who was probably the most conservative vote on the Supreme Court.

The right is saying that the nomination should not occur until after the election and be done by the next President.    They are obviously banking on a Republican winning the nod, but if it were to be Sanders, he would clearly nominate someone more progressive than Obama would.

I don't see any reason why President Obama should not do the job he was elected to do and fill the vacancy on the court.    Republicans are playing dirty politics here in basically refusing to approve anyone the President nominates.   

This is why the election matters and why I will never vote Republican.    The judges that a right wing President choose will set this country back on issues like women's health, gay rights, campaign finance, etc.

congress should consider Obamas view of this issue circa 2006.........Obama: "As we all know, there has been a lot of discussion in the country about how the Senate should approach this confirmation process. There are some who believe that the President, having won the election, should have complete authority to appoint his nominee and the Senate should only examine whether the Justice is intellectually capable and an all-around good guy; that once you get beyond intellect and personal character, there should be no further question as to whether the judge should be confirmed. I disagree with this view. I believe firmly that the Constitution calls for the Senate to advise and consent. I believe it calls for meaningful advice and consent and that includes an examination of a judge’s philosophy, ideology, and record. [Congressional Record]" He then urged all senators to reject Alito's nomination.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

And Obama was wrong. It's the constitutional right of our president, don't care who the president is.

younggunner
 Rep: 7 

younggunner wrote:

which is why I hate politics. Its all about repubz and demz and lobbyists. All are scum. Hopefully Trump can change that. Otherwise its going to be same ole same ole.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Obama is such a fucking clown. He has the right to make a nomination but reading what he said in 2006 then saying he was wrong then pisses me off. He only says that now because he has a vote coming up and is saving face. Oh well.

Board footer