You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Megadeth Mega Thread

FlashFlood wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Crazy how 49k sales can get you the number 3 slot on the top 200.

Especially when it counts digital too.

Would have thought Mustaine had more fans than that. Do you know the numbers for the recent SG albums?

King Animal sold 83k copies in its first week here in the US. Solid numbers but they promoted the hell out of it.  Second week it sold 21k here. First year after its release it sold 207k copies.  I don't know its up to date numbers but two years of touring after its release surely caused it to pull in more numbers.

The fact they they continually released material didn't help King Animal's sales one bit. Telephantasm piggybacked the Rock Band craze and went platinum instantly. Then of course the re-release of the entire discography, Superunknown box set, Live on I5, and Echo of Miles box set. They almost released too much material. 16

Album sales don't seem to be fueling the reunion or they would've spaced out those releases.

One other thing, some grunge fans like to say AIC's reunion has been more successful than SG's. Its not.

Black Gives Way to Blue sold 126,000 in its first week in Sep 2009. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here sold 61,000 in its first week, good for a peak of 2. Blue has shipped a million copies worldwide.

If a more successful comeback = overall performance of new material then I would say AIC easily takes the cake. Blue had hit singles in A Looking in View, Check My Brain, You Decision, and Lesson Learned, while Dinosaurs was less successful but had decent rock radio hits with Hollow and Stone.

I assume you are classifying the SG "comeback" as King Animal and a couple of compilations with some unreleased old tracks?

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

Megadeth, currently on the US leg of the Dystopia tour, premiered "the Threat is Real" live on Tuesday in Salt Lake City UT - and we've got video:

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

Here's the set list for that show (and more or less the set list for the US leg)

Hangar 18
Kingmaker
Wake Up Dead
In My Darkest Hour
The Threat Is Real
Sweating Bullets
Dawn Patrol
Poison Was the Cure
She-Wolf
Trust
Fatal Illusion
A Tout Le Monde
Skin o' My Teeth
Peace Sells
Symphony of Destruction

Encore:
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I assume you are classifying the SG "comeback" as King Animal and a couple of compilations with some unreleased old tracks?

Of course. That's where my interest in these reunions is.....new material. I don't need to hear Jungle live one more time. I want box sets/deluxe editions with alternate takes of it if they want to shove Jungle down my throat.

Same goes for SG. Yeah I went to a show but I'm into Echo, Telephantasm, Live on I5, KA,etc. If they want more of my money they will continue to release new albums and/or unload the rest of that vault.

Encore:
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Mustaine could spend a million years and never be able to top that song.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Just picked up dystopia. ..will listen to it on my car rides to and from work

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Just picked up dystopia. ..will listen to it on my car rides to and from work

I thought it was pretty good compared to Super Collider. What'd you think of that Ghost album?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Especially when it counts digital too.

Would have thought Mustaine had more fans than that. Do you know the numbers for the recent SG albums?

King Animal sold 83k copies in its first week here in the US. Solid numbers but they promoted the hell out of it.  Second week it sold 21k here. First year after its release it sold 207k copies.  I don't know its up to date numbers but two years of touring after its release surely caused it to pull in more numbers.

The fact they they continually released material didn't help King Animal's sales one bit. Telephantasm piggybacked the Rock Band craze and went platinum instantly. Then of course the re-release of the entire discography, Superunknown box set, Live on I5, and Echo of Miles box set. They almost released too much material. 16

Album sales don't seem to be fueling the reunion or they would've spaced out those releases.

One other thing, some grunge fans like to say AIC's reunion has been more successful than SG's. Its not.

Black Gives Way to Blue sold 126,000 in its first week in Sep 2009. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here sold 61,000 in its first week, good for a peak of 2. Blue has shipped a million copies worldwide.

If a more successful comeback = overall performance of new material then I would say AIC easily takes the cake. Blue had hit singles in A Looking in View, Check My Brain, You Decision, and Lesson Learned, while Dinosaurs was less successful but had decent rock radio hits with Hollow and Stone.

I completely agree. AIC's return has been far more successful than Soundgarden's, and I say that as a fan of both bands.

James excuse for SG released too much material doesn't float on water for me either.

The answer is very simple...

AIC targeted CASUALS. AIC targeted NEW listeners. AIC embraced their past, but also embraced the current times as well. Right out of the gate, their first single was "A Looking In View" which was the deep cut that diehards wanted, to prove they still kicked ass. They did.

Then they hit 'em with "Check My Brain", arguably their most "Foo Fighters" moment of their career. Very much a Foo/Goo Goo Dolls-esque track that was catchy as hell, and was an instant hit on rock radio. Then they followed with "Your Decision", an instantly catchy ballad, one of their catchiest. Then their last catchy rocker "Lesson Learned", and last catchy ballad "Black Gives Way To Blue".

I say all this, because what AIC did, was what Soundgarden chose NOT to do. Soundgarden didn't make King Animal an album full of "Live To Rise" tracks. Alice In Chains... DID. They did the opposite.

"Black Rain" was SG's "Looking In View"

"Live To Rise" was SG's "Your Decision" or "Lesson Learned"

"Been Away Too Long" was SG's "Check My Brain"

...and then? Soundgarden didn't follow it up with the proper song. Halfway There sounds like Cornell-solo, and I complained as much then.

I said it when King Animal came out, that KA was an album full of deep cuts. They made that album for their diehard fans. People who were fans of Ultramega OK & Louder Than Love. Not even Badmotorfinger tracks can be found on KA.

But by doing that, Soundgarden slit their own wrists in a way that AIC didn't.

AIC made not one, but TWO albums FULL of "Live To Rise" tracks. Radio-ready, instantly-catchy songs.

That's why their comeback has been a bigger, more recognizable success.

Not because Soundgarden released too much. Soundgarden didn't release THE RIGHT STUFF.

The casuals with AIC got what they paid for... with both albums. The casuals with Soundgarden bought King Animal expecting an album full of "Live To Rise" and "Black Hole Sun 2012" tracks. Or at least Down On The Upside Part II.

They got neither.

That's why the iron has started to cool on Soundgarden, whereas AIC people are just waiting for their next album to rock. jmho

Board footer