You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Guns N Roses Live at the Whiskey 88- Used to Love Her(minus Adler)

Smoking Guns wrote:

Tuesday's Gone just came on Pandora and fuck, Axl and Slash could kill this song on a cover. I think it is about time Slash and Axl do some Skynyrd.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think its time they do some more Nazareth....

nugdafied wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Will wrote:

Thanks for posting this, I'll have to give it a watch later tonight. Don't recall ever hearing about this and it seems the video was only uploaded 5 days ago so could be first time it's been released, unless some historian knows otherwise? smile

It was posted on sludge from a guy known for posting very obscure shit on youtube so yeah....I think its fairly recent.

I know I've never heard of this guy subbing for Adler before.

The Howard Teman story has come up before, probably years ago on some other site. It was basically GnR had finished their Alice Cooper tour. Fred Coury was off with Cinderella again & Adler was still 'injured'. They decided to play a little benefit show...like that day...and Howard was just Mr. right place, right time. He was a musician/artist/t-shirt/rock poster designer that was friends with the band.

I remember in some interview he gave about it(can't find it anywhere)...that basically the band taught him the parts on the drive down the hill to the show & he just manned up and pulled it off.

James

James wrote:

Thanks for the info. Definitely a moment of GNR history I didn't know or had forgotten many pill bottles ago.

While I do remember the Adler injury(and pics of the cast), I'd like more info on this injury.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Tuesday's Gone just came on Pandora and fuck, Axl and Slash could kill this song on a cover. I think it is about time Slash and Axl do some Skynyrd.

This will eventually happen. Especially due to their reputation. I think they majorly avoided it back in the day because of songs like Paradise City, Yesterdays, You Ain't The First, and pretty much anything Izzy ever wrote.

But with their older fanbase, and expectations. A Skynyrd cover is eventually gonna happen. The only question is which one.

I think this one would be appropriate. A more obscure track from their last album, that most wouldn't instantly recognize. It would have a double meaning, and the dueling guitars would give Slash & Richard alot to do. The lyrics are very Axl too. He loves 70s shit like this.

I'd love to hear an Izzy-ized / GN'R 2016 version of this too, with Izzy doing Henley's lead vocals, and Axl, Duff & Dizzy on harmony

James

James wrote:

Great picks. Another Eagles song Izzy would own is 'In The City'. This is now reminding me of that great "Ultimate TSI 2 dream track list" thread we had on the old site ROV. Wish that thread still existed. We were listing which songs classic GNR could have covered and listing what new GNR(01-06) era could've covered. A ton of great selections...some mainstream hits and cool obscure shit too.

I remember this pick of mine because I was deemed bat shit for it, but I said I'd love to see a reunited GNR with Izzy on vocals sing this...and yeah you'll still say I'm bat shit crazy. 16 I love the album this song is on and even in 94 when I first heard this song, it somehow screamed Izzy to me.

There were also two songs from Throwing Copper I wanted new GNR ( with bucket ) to tackle...

I also had another nazareth track on my list for new GNR ( with bucket ) to play while Axl is backstage getting some oxygen....

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Just found the winner. Little Wing with Axl in vocals and this Slash, Hell Yes!

That first solo Slash takes is perfection

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm not saying they couldn't do something without him. It just shows that not everything was roses when they lost one of the guns.

But it was roses when they held on to the guns!  Haha. Yes he wrote a lot of tunes. But CD and the slash VR shit shows they can write a good tune on their own as well. I of course would prefer him back.

Yes, but Axl and Slash have done almost nothing together without Izzy.    He may have been somewhat of a bridge.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm not saying they couldn't do something without him. It just shows that not everything was roses when they lost one of the guns.

But it was roses when they held on to the guns!  Haha. Yes he wrote a lot of tunes. But CD and the slash VR shit shows they can write a good tune on their own as well. I of course would prefer him back.

Yes, but Axl and Slash have done almost nothing together without Izzy.    He may have been somewhat of a bridge.

BECAUSE THEY BROKE UP. Not because they can't write a song together.  See Civil War, Estranged, Coma, NR for example.

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

BECAUSE THEY BROKE UP. Not because they can't write a song together.  See Civil War, Estranged, Coma, NR for example.

Izzy was still in the band at that point. The moment he bailed it was cover songs for three years and all fell apart during the 94 sessions without him....which led to the Chinese Democracy saga.

Board footer