You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Do you want Adler to be with GNR in Vegas, Coachella, Mexico City.....

tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin16 has been dancing too much with Mr. Brownstone. Frank Ferrer is the definitive GN'R drummer? GTFO. 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5VJa-sYsyU

Do you want Adler to be with GNR in Vegas, Coachella, Mexico City.....

Yes 68%
No 32%
Total votes: 31
Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Thunderchucker forever

0.jpg

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

To me Frank Ferrer is the definitive GN'R drummer

You know I love you, but how does that figure?

The line up that got them famous and recorded their biggest album - AFD -  had Steven.

The era where the band achieved the greatest global fame, recorded a world first #1 and #2 album drop, before going on one of the most notorious and epic tours of all time was presided over by Matt.

The mythical Chinese Democracy album features 86% of it's drum parts played by Brain (and perhaps inspired from Josh Freezes earlier work).

The most bootlegs of the bad feature Brain - Including Rio 3, the whole of 2002 and all the important shows (Like RAR) of 2006.

Frank only plays on 2 CD songs, and then the 2009-10 tour, and then the 12-14 vegas shows in recent times.

To me it seems like far from the most definitive GNR drummer, Frank is actually the most inconsequential (not his own fault mind you), but he is far less significant than either Adler of Sorum to the legacy.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Adler is a drug addict and unreliable

Sorum is a drum machine who's sound was never quite GN'R

Brain (see Sorum)

Frank is the best of the bunch. No baggage, no bullshit, talented guy, has enough prowess to pull of the UYI & CD tracks, but has a groove that hasn't been there since Adler.

Drummer was always a disposable position in GN'R. Frank seems to be the best package for alot of reasons.

I don't feel Adler is the uber-God fans make out. I think GN'R could've just as easily had Fred Coury from Cinderella or Steve Riley from LA Guns on the drum kit for the recording of AFD... and guess what? It'd still be A fucking F fucking D.

Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin & Duff McKagan were the one-of-a-kind ingredients that made Guns N' Roses -- Guns N' Fucking Roses

With all due love and respect Steven

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

monkeychow wrote:

To me it seems like far from the most definitive GNR drummer, Frank is actually the most inconsequential (not his own fault mind you), but he is far less significant than either Adler of Sorum to the legacy.

He's been in the lineup the longest..   If that counts for anything.

I respect Adler and Matt for their part in GnR history, but moving forward, I hope they keep Frank.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

OK..I'm sort of half way with you on that....I agree that the AFD line up would have been just as good with some other drummer (although I know many who praise steven's swing style or whatever) and I agree about Brain - he's awesome technically but it doesn't do much for the songs. And I agree that Gnr is a guitar/vox band and you can basically swap in and out drummers...

But to me the hidden drum talent in GNR was Sorum...I think he's underrated in terms of his contribution....his drumming on the UYI and TSI records was awesome....and he was also really distinctive in VR.....

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I will secretly admit... my favorite versions of Mr. Brownstone & YCBM was UYI-era, BECAUSE of Sorum's drumming. I just like his sound on those live.

Beyond that, I think it depends on whether you see GN'R as a Rolling Stones who needs a Charlie Watts on the kit (Adler), or GN'R as a Led Zeppelin who needs a John Bonham on the kit (Sorum).

I think Izzy was right in saying GNR's drummer was always supposed to have a groovy feel back there. Maybe not funky, but a more rhythm thing that only guys like Adler & Ferrer can do. Sorum & Mantia can't and don't do that.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Adler is a drug addict and unreliable

Sorum is a drum machine who's sound was never quite GN'R

Brain (see Sorum)

Frank is the best of the bunch. No baggage, no bullshit, talented guy, has enough prowess to pull of the UYI & CD tracks, but has a groove that hasn't been there since Adler.

Drummer was always a disposable position in GN'R. Frank seems to be the best package for alot of reasons.

I don't feel Adler is the uber-God fans make out. I think GN'R could've just as easily had Fred Coury from Cinderella or Steve Riley from LA Guns on the drum kit for the recording of AFD... and guess what? It'd still be A fucking F fucking D.

Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin & Duff McKagan were the one-of-a-kind ingredients that made Guns N' Roses -- Guns N' Fucking Roses

With all due love and respect Steven

That last line is glorious after throwing him under the bus, lol. Axl is the only one who regarded Steven as some replaceable hack. The other 3 said that the sound just didn't work anymore without him...and I completely agree with them based on both UYI records and live gigs.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I will secretly admit... my favorite versions of Mr. Brownstone & YCBM was UYI-era, BECAUSE of Sorum's drumming. I just like his sound on those live.

Beyond that, I think it depends on whether you see GN'R as a Rolling Stones who needs a Charlie Watts on the kit (Adler), or GN'R as a Led Zeppelin who needs a John Bonham on the kit (Sorum).

I think Izzy was right in saying GNR's drummer was always supposed to have a groovy feel back there. Maybe not funky, but a more rhythm thing that only guys like Adler & Ferrer can do. Sorum & Mantia can't and don't do that.

Great googly moogly. Don't mention Sorum in the same sentence as John Bonham ever again. 10  16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah that's what it's about for me! I love steven cos he was the first..but at the end of the day the band has always sounded best for me with Matt.

But maybe I'm one of your Zep people....I just like sorums massive drum sound.

Board footer