You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: This I Love (guitar solo debate)

monkeychow wrote:

In fairness to the idea of his being lazy we are comparing a studio recording - and one where it's known that thousands of hours and takes were involved in most parts on the record - against a live performance - the second known time he has played the song and the third time he has played with the band in 20+ years.

I think a studio version of this - or even this same solo once he's played it more would impress.

Which solo do you prefer?

Original 47%
Re-done 53%
Total votes: 32
elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

In fairness to the idea of his being lazy we are comparing a studio recording - and one where it's known that thousands of hours and takes were involved in most parts on the record - against a live performance - the second known time he has played the song and the third time he has played with the band in 20+ years.

I think a studio version of this - or even this same solo once he's played it more would impress.

Well, yes, but they have spent three months rehearsing.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

21 and its only going to get better in time

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Both of Robin's original solos in Better and This I Love are a better fit for the songs. They actually sound more like classic Slash than what Slash has been doing in these live shows with those two songs.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Well, yes, but they have spent three months rehearsing.

Also, there's a finished version he could just copy if he couldn't hack a new one in that time.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I just listened to both, again. Fincks has aged well over time. It is a good solo. When Slash's solo starts, it starts pretty similar to Finck, but what takes Slash to the next level is that 2 step bend he does. Gives me chills then he does some nice November rain esqué major scale runs. So if you didn't like that solo you may not like November Rain's Outro solo. I don't think he overplayed. I think it is tasty as fuck. I think in the studio with a perfect mix, it would sound amazing.

Verdict: both are very good but Slash's has those killer bends, killer tone and some tasty runs ala November Rain.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love the way slash's has a slow build too. Like at first I thought "oh he's not really going to do much other than play something like Robin" for the first few notes, but then it was like - holy shit - he just unleashed and the thought comes to mind "this really is Slash's band" - Robin tried to emulate his style for this song - but there's just no substitutes when it comes to GNR.

Lomax wrote:

I prefer Slash as a guitarist but I really liked Robin's solo.
I expect Slash's to get better though.

Seems overstated at the moment.

Axl's vocals live get my vote for better performance than the album version though.

I'm going to wait to vote because I know I'll love Slash's solo when its taken more shape.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

TIL itself isn't worth the bits that it is encoded in, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It's a fine line between a bitchy whiney and a NR-style 'epic'. This is so far over the line it's nothing but a speck compared to the songs it is trying to mimic.

Having said that, Robin's original solo sounds really bad to my ears, the off-rhythm sections (I know that's his trademark, and it's by design) just sound awkward and messy. Slash's improvised version isn't much to listen to either, but I suspect he'd do a better job on a studio version. People say he'd do an Estranged-style solo, but I think this song lacks the power for that. I think it'd be more like Street Child, which is also a sort of meandering song like TIL but one that actually nails the emotional vibe TIL is going for. And that has a kick-ass solo.

But more than anything, I'd rather they just drop the song... so I haven't voted.

Niterain
 Rep: 4 

Niterain wrote:

I hated the original solo from the first day and that has never happened before with any other GNR song. I agree that it's carefully orchestrated to fit the rest of the music which makes it even worse. When I heard it I was like: "After all those hours in the studio that's all we got?!" It would probably sound better without the orchestra though 'cause there's just too much going on. I agree with James and I think the fan versions without the solo are better.
Slash's solo is all improvisation, but it's still better and has more feel. I was hoping it would be better though, so I guess it's true that he's lazy.
Needless to say, but I voted Slash 3
I don't have anything against Robin's playing in general. His soloing on Better is among my top ten GNR solos

Board footer