You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: 9/4/16 T-MOBILE ARENA, LAS VEGAS, NV UNITED STATES

Neemo wrote:

Bumble is an amazing guy and an amazing player

I agree he was massively under utilized in guns

I think axl/gnr learned alot how to communicate w fans in the modem era from Ron

Fortus has very high quality gear. Makes a big difference...my off the shelf gibsons can take quite a beating and still stay in tune...and thats with me maintaining them 3 or 4 times a year

Richards guitars are custom built. And likely professionally maintained every day

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

He's at his best vocally since 2010. No doubt about it.

Still some way to go but I reckon he'll get there eventually with a bit of motivation through "competing" with Slash again.

I'd say the same regarding his appearance, not that it's of any great importance personally - as long as he is happy.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

He's at his best vocally since 2010. No doubt about it.

I still rate 2010 higher, but will reserve judgement until the end of this tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MC_jmGHSMw#t=2m27s

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

You and me both. It's a bit of a personal favourite.

I think I'd have to travel back to 1986 (or maybe 1993 to an extent) to find live vocals which I like more.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think Bumble is massively under-rated because his style is so different to Slash's and thus for fans of the classic band he's a strange fit for GNR. However that's more about Axl's plan for the sound than Bumble's fault. Meanwhile because people warmed to Bucket it seemed Bumble got hostility on that front too. Then it was compounded by the 3 guitar policy that made the songs sound different and forced Bumble to do nothing much of the time when he could have been shredding.

However at the end of the day he is formidable on guitar. I mean you can hand him a guitar and he can literally play anything and I mean ANYTHING.

Bucket and to a degree Finck proves you can have a completely different style and be accepted by the fans. Those guys both had plenty of haters, but they also stood out enough to gain supporters. With Bucket his soloing was so good some fans put the songs alongside classic GN'R just because of that. With Finck half the fans thought he absolutely butchered Slash whenever he tried, but almost everyone thought he did some good work on CD. And he had character. Finck was just a weird dude through and through. He was no act. You tend to respect people who do their own thing and sticks to it.

With Bumble it was obvious from the get go he was a Buckethead replacement. And I mean replacement in the purest sense of the word. The big shot guitarist with a weird stage name who is prone to virtuoso antics. Problem is he was no BH. Nor was he a Slash. He didn't even have the character of Finck. He didn't leave a mark in any way.

Personally I actually like some of his contributions. His solo in Catcher I think is brilliant, but people was used to and preferred May there, so that's no good. His Scraped solo that morphs into BH is also nice, but nobody likes that song. The song that is all Bumble has the worst solo and is the worst song on the album, Shackler's Revenge. That leaves you with live performances, and this here shows why he never warmed up to majority of fans despite being a technically brilliant guitarist and a nice guy:

Slash

https://youtu.be/iGoxykRSWig?t=3m51s

Buckethead

Bumble

https://youtu.be/e3jRbBW9KYw?t=5m28s

He fails to interpret the song completely, and it was always like that. Like he didn't get what makes Slash and BH solos so great. BH barely even plays the same solo and it's 72 seconds to Slash's 49. Yet most will agree he totally nails it. Bumble I don't know what the hell he's doing, it certainly doesn't excite me. Funny Axl only gives him 35 seconds before he starts singing again.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

You and me both. It's a bit of a personal favourite.

I think I'd have to travel back to 1986 (or maybe 1993 to an extent) to find live vocals which I like more.

He sounds weaker, but more composed. Looks like he's finally been able to adapt a softer, less powerful rasp that he can sustain. Probably he will regain some power as the tour goes on. I thought he was decidedly better on the second night in Vegas than the first.

Yeah, he's definitely better than last few years. Coma would have been a disaster of epic proportions in 2011.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Fuuuuuuuuuck, that Buckethead Nightrain solo is REALLLLLLY good. Of those two presented, Bucket's is my favorite, hands down. Slash probably had better solos than the one on Live Era.

I was saying this about Slash's "This I Love" solo. Bucket hits some of the iconic moments of the original Nightrain solo and then puts his own spin on it elsewhere, yet always remembering the basic skeleton of the solo.

Slash completely re-does the "This I Love" solo, which is fine because most of it was shit, but there are a few nice moments in Robin's solo that Slash could certainly incorporate into his new solo but doesn't. So, maybe I don't think Robin's is better, per se, but I tend to prefer it.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I always liked BBF's solo here

https://youtu.be/ZBw_U3GNJJo?t=2m14s

He left a really good impression on me. I was just some kid on myspace and he was talking to me all night after he had been announced as the new guitar player for GN'R. What a guy.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The song that is all Bumble has the worst solo and is the worst song on the album, Shackler's Revenge. That leaves you with live performances

Actually, I felt the 2010 band really tore up Shackler - one of their high points, surely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpk2_Xzb-8#t=2m21s
Typical defiant Axl, taking his shades off in the middle of the last verse. He was confident, there.

Board footer