You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

monkeychow wrote:

Hope this doesn't come off as me being a dickhead but I think you're wrong about Shackler's.

Axlin16 wrote:

Just to clear things up... Bucket wrote the solo in Shackler's. He's credited as such.

Actually he's not. The album credits bucket as a co-writer, co-arranger and guitarist on the track but the linar notes also specifically credit the solos to Bumblefoot.

If you go back to the Rock Band mogg file leaks, Bucket's original solo was extended longer than Ron's, Axl (or Caram or whoever) clipped it,

You can hear very faintly in the background of the rock-band clips the original solo (mute all but vocals and additional instruments and you an hear some soft spill noise from the performer's playback) - but it's basically almost inaudible and not much use for the purposes of telling if the subsequent bumble-foot solo had any resemblance to it.

If anything, you could probably say that it was significantly different as that's why it's obvious that the spill is from an older take and not the album version.

and used Ron's main guitar solo, but the outro solo (which is better) is all Bucket.

No it isn't - the outro is also bumble.

Rock Brigade magazine, October 2008

Rock Brigade: How was to record "Shackler's Revenge" [the new GUNS N' ROSES song which is featured on the Rock Band 2 soundtrack]? You did the solo (with your fretless), some rhythm in the pre-chorus and the last shredding in the ending, right?

Thal: If I remember right (barely remember anything more than five minutes ago, haha) it was one of the first songs we worked on. I played all the solos — the fretless solo followed by the fretted solo, the end tapping stuff and the bends over it — also the rhythms throughout the song with all the riffing in them.

The guitar solo IS NOT in the style of Bumblefoot. Not in the least.

I couldn't disagree with that more, it sounds entirely in his style to the point where you can hear it's bumblefoot distinctly as opposed to a similar virtuoso player.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I couldn't get into Ron's solo stuff either. Is he talented? Does a bear shit in the woods? That talent just never materialized into something listenable to my ears. I remember Ron nutswingers going on and on about the greatness of the album Guitar Sucks or whatever. I finally forced myself to listen to it and...ugh. No further comment needed on that.

There was an album of his with some more mellow stuff(don't remember the name) that was actually ok.

All I know is the guy was in the band NINE YEARS and still couldn't nail Bucket's material properly. Its nothing against him though. No one can hold Bucket's jockstrap. Bucket does these unique things in some of the songs that would be difficult. People can get damn close but they're still so far away. Having said that, the new lineup is nailing the title track.

I tremember in 2006 during Better there is that thing Bucket does before the bridge. In a live setting, Frank would pound the drums instead. Guess they didn't want to even bother tackling that and besides, no one in the general audience would even notice.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I heard Slash blister and groove through that TWAT solo better than I ever heard Ron do.

Fwiw, when I say DJ sucked ass, it's purely a matter of taste. Technically, he's a good guitarist, but so is CC Deville. That is someone DJ compares to in my mind.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Monkey i'm gonna give you a karma for doing all that detective work... but i'm sorry -- I don't buy it. I just don't.

That's not your fault. I don't know if it's just misquoting by interviewers over the years, Ron not explaining himself over the years, faulty liner notes, or what...

I'll go to my grave stating Buckethead wrote the bulk of Shackler's Revenge, and the guitar solo is HIS WRITTEN material. Thus why he was credited as a WRITER. Thal is only credited for performing the track, as well as the additional rhythm.

I took the outro solo and way over amplified it to bring it up at normal audio levels, as well as removing the main guitar solo. Again... it's gotta be Bucket. It's his tone. His style. Not Ron's.

I will say this... if Ron's work on Shackler's Revenge was all done by HIM and HIM ALONE... then Ron's greatest achievement in his 30-year career beating the pavement was Shackler's fucking Revenge. Nothing else.

I just don't buy he wrote that amazing solo, or anything else in that song. He sucks too much in other places. Or Shackler's was his one hit wonder.

That song has Bucket, Brain & Caram all over it. It even sounds like songs Bucket & Brain were recording outside of Guns at the time.

I just don't buy it. Ron could never properly even duplicate it live, even if it was supposed to be HIS solo. Ron could never play most of Bucket's stuff live, even though he was hired to replace him.

I just don't buy it. It'd be like me trying to credit Gilby Clarke for Izzy's work on UYI as far a i'm concerned.

Like I said... you might be right... but if you are, it was the only time in Ron's career he was good, and it was all downhill after that.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Monkey i'm gonna give you a karma for doing all that detective work... but i'm sorry -- I don't buy it. I just don't.

That's not your fault. I don't know if it's just misquoting by interviewers over the years, Ron not explaining himself over the years, faulty liner notes, or what...

I'll go to my grave stating Buckethead wrote the bulk of Shackler's Revenge, and the guitar solo is HIS WRITTEN material. Thus why he was credited as a WRITER. Thal is only credited for performing the track, as well as the additional rhythm.

I took the outro solo and way over amplified it to bring it up at normal audio levels, as well as removing the main guitar solo. Again... it's gotta be Bucket. It's his tone. His style. Not Ron's.

I will say this... if Ron's work on Shackler's Revenge was all done by HIM and HIM ALONE... then Ron's greatest achievement in his 30-year career beating the pavement was Shackler's fucking Revenge. Nothing else.

I just don't buy he wrote that amazing solo, or anything else in that song. He sucks too much in other places. Or Shackler's was his one hit wonder.

That song has Bucket, Brain & Caram all over it. It even sounds like songs Bucket & Brain were recording outside of Guns at the time.

I just don't buy it. Ron could never properly even duplicate it live, even if it was supposed to be HIS solo. Ron could never play most of Bucket's stuff live, even though he was hired to replace him.

I just don't buy it. It'd be like me trying to credit Gilby Clarke for Izzy's work on UYI as far a i'm concerned.

Like I said... you might be right... but if you are, it was the only time in Ron's career he was good, and it was all downhill after that.

The ending of Shackler's is probably the most Ron sounding thing on the album. I'm not a HUGE fan of either bucket or ron, but I've definitely listened to a lot of their shit and that is definitely ron. Anyway, I think arguing about how certain things just sound like someone is useless.  Riad sounded like it had Bucket all over it and he doesn't even have a credit on the song.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm making lists because of the fiction in this thread that said that DJ betrayed Axl by being involved with Sixx:Am when actually he was involved with them before, during and, after his tenure in GNR!

It's bleeding obvious that he quit GNR diplomatically when it was clear Slash was going to return, and the man himself admits he knew it was happening, but people want to deny that, and say he's lying, and deny the  very history of sixx:am so we can stick to an alternate version of events that is known in 'insider' circles by a group of people who aren't even really in the band.

Whatever folks. According to this thread -  DJ lied to and betrayed Axl, and he wrote all of Sixx's 3 albums and 3 Eps more than 5-6 years before they came out, he quit because he's a bastard and DJ and Slash splitting the lead guitar solos would have been a wonderful idea wholly embraced by hardcores and causals alike. 16

Way to exaggerate. I even said I was wrong in that he quit Sixx AM, but the truth is, he promised Axl GNR was his priority and would not tour with Sixx AM again, and blindsided the band  by leaving. I have that on good authority.

And if you have that on good authority, it's almost a guaranteed lock that DJ is telling the truth.

Which is scary

Axl originally considered...

Axl
Slash
DJ
Richard
Duff
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

For 2015-16?

If that's the case, why get rid of Tommy at all? If DJ can be there, why not have Duff AND Tommy? Why the fuck not?

How is it a lock? Did the hybrid line up happen or the carwash original 5? Did they play CD songs or straight AFD and ignore CD like some said? There have been things I've been right about... and wrong 16

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I'm glad the slimy little slash rip off, hair metal, generic motley crue , hot topic shopping, Steve Stevens fuckhead is gone.

Says the guy who "hoped and wished" that THIS band would record something.

Hmmm

Btw

Steve Stevens is a kick ass guitarist. WTF are you smokin' ?

When did I ever wish they recorded NEW MATERIAL???? When in the ever loving fuck did I ever say that I wanted that??? Was there some Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Amazing Stories, Tales From The Crypt, voodoo psychotic bullshit going on? I was dreading any new recording like I was dreading RON and DJ rerecording Bucket and Robin's parts. How many times was I flamed for being an 02 line up homer??

I just wanted CD II, not anything new by those two shitheads. I don't know where you pulled that from.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

misterID wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Way to exaggerate. I even said I was wrong in that he quit Sixx AM, but the truth is, he promised Axl GNR was his priority and would not tour with Sixx AM again, and blindsided the band  by leaving. I have that on good authority.

And if you have that on good authority, it's almost a guaranteed lock that DJ is telling the truth.

Which is scary

Axl originally considered...

Axl
Slash
DJ
Richard
Duff
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

For 2015-16?

If that's the case, why get rid of Tommy at all? If DJ can be there, why not have Duff AND Tommy? Why the fuck not?

How is it a lock? Did the hybrid line up happen or the carwash original 5? Did they play CD songs or straight AFD and ignore CD like some said? There have been things I've been right about... and wrong 16

In fairness it appears Izzy was intended to be involved but was offered an insultingly low amount and so turned it down.

It's also been rumoured Adler was meant to show up until he injured his back.

All rumour of course with as much validity as the next, however it does suggest the AFD 5 was as much in play as the hybrid at one stage.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So according to people on this board:

1. DJ is lying that he knew Slash was returning and that he was asked to play in the current line up.

2. Bumble is lying that he plays the tapping outro of SR on CD

3. The album linear notes which attribute this solo to him are incorrect.

4. Bumble is unable to play buckets parts in general.

There is substantial evidence that all 4 of those statements are incorrect but you guys just believe what you want to believe.

misterID

misterID wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

In fairness it appears Izzy was intended to be involved but was offered an insultingly low amount and so turned it down.

It's also been rumoured Adler was meant to show up until he injured his back.

All rumour of course with as much validity as the next, however it does suggest the AFD 5 was as much in play as the hybrid at one stage.

Guesting is a lot different. No one ever denied that Izzy and Steven would eventually guest on stage, but the hybrid was always going to happen.

And no, I don't think Ashba ever knew about Slash.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah I gotta back ID up on this specific issue. Axlin I think you're mixing him up with someone else. There were definitely some people here that wanted a DJ lineup to record new material....ID not being one of them. He was always a hardcore 2001-02 lineup fan(like me) and wanted CD II more than anything, including fresh material or a reunion.

Board footer