You are not logged in. Please register or login.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

CSS 2.0 wrote:

If my memory serves me right it is mentioned in the Chinese Whispers somewhere (through others) how he was scared to sing for quite some time during the reincarnation of GN'R because he had simply stopped - not just for live performances.

I don't think that the theory of him having had some kind of undisclosed illness is out of the equation either.

He both looked and sounded radically different once he surfaced again.

The change in his looks especially, particularly between 1998-2000, were massive.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

The NBA interview still haunts me.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

The NBA interview still haunts me.

Yeah, there was something wrong with him around that time. Cancer, weird virus, etc. He did not look healthy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That NBA thing almost came off as anxiety and a chemical peel to me. Like aside from how he looked the odd thing was how he acted, like he'd forgotten who he was.

Without getting into the diagnosis game, I think whatever quirks axl has I don't think extended periods of isolation were good for them.

He always seems to be at his best when he can deal with the pubic, like late 80s axl, like 2006 and like now.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Man, I thought he looked good there, actually pretty healthy. Just no eyebrows.

He didn't look like he was taking care of himself before that.
axl-rose-thin-hair-1.jpg

axl-blusa-red.jpg

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Just made the mistake of looking at some YouTube comments for a Hells Bells video from the Lisbon show. The amount of anti-Axl delusion is unbelievable. The man is certainly polarizing. He has the delusional sycophants who refused to acknowledge when he screwed up and now he has the delusional haters who refuse to acknowledge when his vocals are pretty solid. It's like being in the Twilight Zone or something.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

- but I'd started to think the glory days of this stuff were gone - as performances from 2014 really made it seem like he just couldn't conjure that level of power anymore - and who could blame him - surely that's a young mans game....

But here we are in 2016 and he's pulling out screams and rasp with Ac/Dc and GNR. The GNR ones are almost as insane in high notes  as the 2009 high pitched stuff and I would say generally stronger overall than he's been since 2006 if not the 1990s, then, this Ac/Dc stuff - watching a gig from 2012 you wouldn't think Axl could nail brian johnston the way he has. Many people felt that classic Axl would have been good casting for Ac/Dc but that modern Axl would be forced to mickey and ruin the songs. Boy was that wrong.

So I can't help but wonder. It's awesome that Axl is doing this now. But WTF happened in the past? Why did we have to listen to such mickeyised versions of the songs and pay hundreds for it for 5+ years....odd.....did Axl have a vocal problem in the past that he has finally got on top of....or did he just not give a shit at the time?

The answer is here....

bigbri wrote:

I don't think he gave a shit, honestly.

Not the slightest of fucks was given on that final chapter of the CD saga. I've said this since coming back last summer. Some claim he's kicking ass on various performances and that's fine, its all subjective, but in every video I've watched of the past few CD tours I see a guy who doesn't care and is just going through the motions. As much as I would have loved an album after CD, I'm glad he didn't release it during that era. What would've been the point? He didn't even have a lineup to release an album....he had a subpar lineup of the replacements of the replacements that recorded the albums eons ago and they exist to help market GNR to a casual audience. Me not being a casual fan=me not giving a rat's patootie. Some fans thought that 09-14 lineup would unveil new songs like the real CD lineups did. I knew there wasn't even a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. That's not what they were there for and I don't care about Ballad of Death or whatever else the 3rd rate Slash wannabe was cooking up in a restaurant that would never serve his meals.

I think people here seem to have a very hazy memory of 2011-14. Yes Rock In Rio was bad and their were alot of iffy performances, but their were good ones too. He did seem to be going through the motions at times, but it wasn't always a disaster.

I have a hazy memory in general but I do know one thing....that final lineup was a total bore and a complete waste of Axl's time and talent. More people are starting to believe this after witnessing the manna from heaven that we have received in 2016 and its only begun.

Yes Rock In Rio was bad and some performances might be good and I know many rave on that 2009 Osaka set list that was many years too late to matter.

LIke I said...the past six years were a complete waste of time even if he nailed Shackler's Revenge in Podunk, Mississippi a few years back. Classic GNR's entire discograpy fits into the same time frame of the Ashba years yet some think it wasn't a waste of time? That lineup never entered a studio much less release a ten year old 'new' song. I realize the label takes some blame on this matter but they saw it for what it was.  Other than hearing Jungle from musicians so far removed from it, getting a remix of the 10th version of Better with Ashba strumming a guitar, what were their accomplishments?

The current lineup has accomplished more than the 09-14 lineup and the shindig has just gotten underway.

And yes I did think he gave a fuck in 2002, it's just it was all a mess. He had alot of bad advice in that era and handled things badly, for example the album fiasco. I don't think the cluster fuck it became (ignoring the voice), was because he didn't give a fuck.

Most bizarre year of the saga. He was ready....but then he wasn't. The tour never should've happened and even he finally admitted this. He started to sour on the project after the implosion(obviously) and in hindsight I think it should have been scrapped and he should've moved on with something else. The label ruined the project for him. How many new songs were written by the band after 2002?

In 2001....he was ready. That was the year for the real comeback. He was confident and he had the lineup to deliver the goods. He also had the album(s) HE wanted.  He was going to do exactly what Cornell did with Audioslave and go on a major run(album/tour/album/tour/album in quick succession. The label had other ideas. Once he mentioned doing this very thing in 2002 there was no chance of it ever happening.

I personally don't want him to spend too much time with AC/DC. People really are under estimating the age issue. In 15 years he'll be almost 70 not far off the average life expectancy. Oh and Robert Plant in 2007 during Zeppelin reunion wasn't much older than Axl is now, his voice was a mess. Go watch that show on youtube, he's barely singing on half the material.

Resurgence or not, we're probably on borrowed time with Axl's voice. He needs to be making the most of it with Guns over the next few years.

He has a legitimate five year window to do some major ass kicking. I want him to take this as seriously as Soundgarden did when they reunited. Record new material, rerecord some old material worthy of it, unload the vault and tour. THis reunion or whatever we call it has massive potential.

Technically the window is more than five years as far as nostalgia touring goes. He can talk the songs like Jagger when he's in his 60s and beyond but the next few years are what truly counts if he has more plans than just touring the hits.

The AC/DC thing doesn't bother me. He can multitask. It also depends on what his plans are. If GNR are just going to do nostlagia tours, I hope he joins more bands. As much as I love GNR's discography and look forward to the Frisco show, if he has no plans to record I want to hear him sing as many cover songs as possible which things like AC/DC allow. You get entire set lists of songs he never would have performed under normal circumstances.

Years of the media painting him as the asshole, and now they're all over him.

The media gave him a chance in the early years of the saga. They were welcoming him back with open arms in 2001. RS was even sucking his dick on the new songs in their HOB review. He got some media coverage in 2002 but we know how that turned out. By the time 2006 rolled around they saw it for what it was. Even the biggest media nutswinger of all Kurt Loder bailed out at that point.

The new GNR/CD saga was simply dragged out for too long.

Fuck 2006.....

I agree. In the Ashba years I can see why some wanted that Axl back. I want 2006 Axl back in 2006 where he belongs.

This voice needs to be on an album

Indeed it does. He knows it. Everyone knows it and I assume the label knows it too. 16

Its why the first few years of his comeback are so important. He does not have another CD saga left in him. Its either start whipping up albums Cornell style or just go the nostalgia route the rest of the way. No middle ground.

Any album's probably going to be 90% leftover Chinese – the vocals on those tracks could date from the late 90s for all we know.

I have no problem with old songs being released but if those CD II songs are going to be on an actual album and not some compilation/box set, I hope he adds new vocals. He sounds better now than he did on CD. If he'd actually release it, I wouldn't mind hearing new vocals added to reworked songs from CD itself. Madagascar and The Blues beg for another vocal take.

(1994-2000)

This void is almost as bad, maybe worse than the Chinese void. That was a very interesting time in music, he was young, yet we heard nothing from him except the performance with Bruce, Anxious Disease, and OMG. What a shame.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Just made the mistake of looking at some YouTube comments for a Hells Bells video from the Lisbon show. The amount of anti-Axl delusion is unbelievable. The man is certainly polarizing. He has the delusional sycophants who refused to acknowledge when he screwed up and now he has the delusional haters who refuse to acknowledge when his vocals are pretty solid. It's like being in the Twilight Zone or something.

Social media and comments sections of websites are literally the septic tank of humanity.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Yeah, well... I'm sorry, after finding out who really killed JFK, I'm still going to Quantum Leap 2016 Axl into 2006 Axl's body and then take him back to 2016. Because, although an improvement, 44 yearold mobile Axl with the razor blade voice still wins hands down.

That said, he's been doing very well.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Also, fuck Merck, Roy Thomas Baker, and the record company.
They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Board footer