You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm with apex.....the standard cycles of these iconic bands are being thrown out the window due to the remaining sand in the hourglass. A major act sitting idle for 5-6 years is no more.

I see what you are saying but we also have to factor in the irrelevance of new material for most of the classic acts.

New albums don't do the sort of numbers that makes it worth the expense as most of the audience at the big shows is there for the hits and the nostalgia - all except the true hardcores just don't really need new music to get their rocks off.

GNR is a perfect example. I will poo my pants when they drop a new single. But when I go to the alleged GNR show in January here it's going to be a room full of people waiting for SCOM so they can relieve their first date or whatever.

Aerosmith is another. I dug Music from Another dimension. The critics told them they can't make a good album since toys in the attic. The fans record sales agreed with the critics. The band said it's not doing records anymore. But when I saw them live last time it's not Beautiful that brings the house down it's Last Child and Walk This Way.

THe only real reason for these legacy acts to keep making music is to get their own rocks off, or in some cases they follow a modified version of the old cycle like ac/dc in order to revamp the show a bit. New album = another hits tour with changing up which songs are the new addition and some fun rebranding and stage design to keep people coming back out.

Obviously the money is in the shows but you can't keep milking it every year or you over saturate yourself. Metallica has done a good job of playing the festivals every summer without a new album but it's really starting to push it.

I think once you flood the earth with a product as saturated as something like this "Rock or Bust" tour is you need to take a year or two off to let your fans re-set. Then they'll come back out for the next one. Otherwise people will get like "oh I saw Ac/Dc last summer" and they're not going to be able to keep doing stadiums.

That said maybe they will speed up the time line a little. I mean Angus must know he doesn't have too many years left. Then again - these guys have hundreds of millions of dollars and play for fun. Might want a bit more family time than life of the road too. I think Ac/Dc has been a lifestyle act for a while. Drop an album, tour for 18 months, enjoy it, come home with $200m and hang with your family for a few years. Then repeat!

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqtte9iD-8g

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Missed most of this, but did hear a clip here and there and thought Axl killed it. I do not think Brian Johnson is coming back. Angus & Cliff look re-energized, especially Angus, and Angus looks like he's ready to go another 10-15 years. Can't do that with Brian. Can do that with Axl, even though I personally (and don't shoot me) feel that these tours are Axl's last gasp of a half-way decent voice. I just don't see where he can keep up with the pace he's currently been on. Although AC/DC are known for taking extended breaks, and Axl could do GN'R during that time. Then rest GN'R during the AC/DC time.

Personally, of what i've heard throughout this summer... I think Axl actually sounded better with AC/DC than GN'R.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree that he's really pushing it and I'll say what I've said since the comeback....

He knows he's running out of road and the window is closing.....likely regrets all the running in place on one project. Now he wants to fit in as much as he can with however much time remains.

I think he can pull it off. GNR and AC/DC? Cornell juggles solo and Soundgarden. Axl can do it as well. I just want some releases out of this and not just nonstop touring.....the constant touring is where he'll run into trouble. Take breaks, record music between these tours and most important of all...release music during and between tours.

James

James wrote:

If he wasn't constantly redeeming himself with these killer GNR set lists I'd be mighty pissed that he didn't bust out Girls Got Rhythm and Ride On during his stint with AC/DC.

Its just hard to criticize the guy anymore, you know? He's taking everything seriously, having a blast, wants to continue both, so how on earth can I complain?

I just gotta live without Girls Got Rhythm......Double Talkin' Jive more than makes up for it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. I was shocked more Bon-era songs weren't busted out, but then again most of their hit singles came with Brian I believe. Even though the lyrics are cheesy, i'd like to hear Axl do Big Gun at least once, just as an in-joke to GN'R.

However, no matter to who thinks i'm a dick on this, if Axl fails to release any original material during this final run at that the top, he is a failure imo as a musician. Not that it takes away from what he's done, but he'll have a Brian Bosworth-type legacy, but for rock music. Big ego, big start when he was young, supposed to set the world on fire, and then.... faded away into irrelevance. Then to get a 2nd chance in 2006, and now a 3rd chance in 2016, and to squander it by not releases more material to a starved fanbase... inexcusable.

When I saw the China Exchange interview, he didn't strike me as a man in a hurry to put out new GN'R music. He seemed way more interested in new AC/DC music.

I don't know if he'll ever get to do a film score, but he could go the John Carpenter-route. Carpenter is done as a director, he knows it, so instead after influencing a generation of synth music fans, Carpenter just records music albums now as a mock film score. And he's put out two records in two years, plus an EP of re-records. He seems to be re-energized at 68, and recently agreed to return to the "Halloween" franchise to produce & score the next sequel, ala Halloween II & III.

Axl in my mind could go this route after this next run. Put out a GN'R-Telephantasm this year. Put out a new GN'R album next year. An AC/DC record the year after that. Tour, and maybe wrap up with at least one more GN'R, and possibly an additional AC/DC work of some sort.

Then just straight up become an instrumental artist. Record albums in the style of film scores, piano/synth, whatever floats his boat. Release them, and just tour the avant-garde film score scene, whether he's recording Carpenter tracks, Beltrami tracks, John Williams tracks, Hans Zimmer tracks... whatever he wants to do.

Axl could do all that, and still have 20-30 years to be Ennio Morricone is that's his life's dream. Morricone just got done with that Hateful Eight score, and Morricone is like 84 years old.

James

James wrote:

I hadn't even thought of Big Gun during this saga. You're right.....major ass kicking potential with that one. Same with Who Made Who but Big Gun would be right up his alley.....I can easily imagine his vocal delivery on that one.

IMO ship has sailed on a film score unless he is producing the film himself. here's one thing that even with Axl on fire and kicking the world's ass he has going against him......his 21st century track record. Is he changing that? Yes. Having said that, what studio is going to make a film and ask Axl of all people to score it? No studio will risk its product being in limbo while Axl "takes a serious look at what he's doing in that regard". You think 13 mil was a lot for CD? Imagine the amaount of money put into a film.

Do I think he's talented enough to tackle a score? Yes but I don't see it happening.

I wouldn't call him a failure but I do agree that his discography must increase in size during his comeback. Too much time has already went by and out of all the incredible artists/bands in the world, his discography is the smallest(I'm excluding artists with untimely deaths) and does not match up with his talent. Whether its doing albums/songs with GNR, AC/DC, solo, or joining some supergroup, its time for him to move in this front.

GNR definitely need its Telephantasm to capitalize on the success of this tour. After that, take a small break, get those Chinese ducks in a row that Slash wants to marinate....boom....there's your comeback album. Then see if AC/DC wants to do something and if not, put feelers out for collaborations. He said years ago he'd like to work with Trent, Grohl, etc. Instead of talking about it like the yesteryears of the Chinese calendar, start actually doing it.

I always wanted him to collaborate with Springsteen. Too bad nothing came out of their jam at the HOF. Axl was going into hermit mode at the time which is such a tragedy(musically speaking). 1995-2015.....one song....one album......get to work. 14 11

He's old but he's young enough to either turn GNR into the Stones or have a career like Rod Stewart. Actually, he can have both if he's willing to put in the effort.

I wish the label had let him get the egg foo yung out of his system in 2001. Not just because the album(s) would've been better but he probably would have moved on to something else quickly until reunion time.

There is an alternate universe where he joins a band like Audioslave or maybe even reunites earlier but we'll never get to see it because the damn label wouldn't stop fucking him every which way but loose over the damn project.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed again, and even in the China Exchange interview, Axl alludes to how much time was wasted by the label fucking him over. Too many people needed Chinese to be huge to save their jobs, but Axl gets the blame.

I agree that the 2000-2001 era album shoud've dropped sometime during the aborted 2002-03 tour that never made it to 2003. Drop the album in the summer of 2002 when they were hitting the festival circuit in Europe, then hit the ground running at the 2002 VMA's. Axl might've been a train wreck, but Madagascar was magical at the 2002 VMA's. WTTJ & PC blew, but there was a passion in his voice & eyes when he sang that song post-9/11. Had it been handled better, it could've been a real moment. But it was too secretive and too rushed, and everyone was left with a feeling of premature ejaculaton.

As for the film score, depending on what Axl wants to do, will determine whether he could get that job. Hoping to do a Hans Zimmer-esque score on film on the level of Pirates of the Carribean V or Justice League... ain't gonna happen.

But so many small independent movies look for gimmicky guys to capture certain sounds. If Axl was even remotely into synthwave or any of that scene from the 80's, the demand for that right now is big in the cult scene. Even John Carpenter, a former A-list directing name, is now devoting his time to it.

In other words, if Axl wanted to hammer out something ala Moby in Heat or something like Steve Moore with The Guest... there's an independent film out there, potentially horror film, with his name on it 'Music By AXL'

It's just a matter of if he wants to seriously do it or not. They'd actually jump to have a name or a gimmick to push their film with. But a big Hollywood production like when he toyed around with the idea of scoring that Robin Williams flick? Yeah... that ship has sailed.

I wonder if Axl semi-retires from rock, if he would ever consider scoring a television series. It'd probably be a great job to test his skills. Jump in, hammer it out in a week. Off to the next episode.

He could really master the craft working a TV series. Then maybe build up to bigger and bigger film and build his name. Or the Carpenter route and just record instrumental albums.

I think Axl, before he dies, will record and release at least ONE instrumental album as a solo artist. Whether it's released as such, or it's a score. I think it happens at some point.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Cliff Williams says that he will retire from touring and recording after AC/DC's current tour, explaining that "it's the right thing."

The bassist's revelation follows a series of misfortunes to plague AC/DC. Last year, former drummer Phil Rudd was sentenced to eight months of house arrest after he was found guilty of taking drugs and making threats to kill a former employee.

In 2014, the band announced guitarist Malcolm Young's retirement from the group after he was diagnosed with dementia.

AC/DC has since resumed its tour with GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist," meaning that most of the people Williams has spent the past four decades with are no longer there.

"It's been what I've known for the past 40 years, but after this tour I'm backing off of touring and recording," Cliff tells Gulfshore Life. "Losing Malcolm, the thing with Phil and now with Brian, it's a changed animal. I feel in my gut it's the right thing."

Williams added that he is proud of the band's massive accomplishments, which include having the sixth-highest-selling album of all time in the U.S. with 1980's "Back In Black".

"When you start out, you kind of hope for success," Williams says. "That's what you are working for. But you never really know. It's been surreal, really."

AC/DC released a video clip earlier in the week in which Williams talked about his role in the band. He said: "AC/DC has been… you know, just… I don't know what else I would wanna do. I love the music and I love playing in the band, and I'm all filled up.

"My role as part of the rhythm section is to give drive, to give foundation, and engine, if you like, [and] support the guitars.

"My first album with the band was 'Powerage', and that was 1977. It was all new and fresh, and these people, I didn't know them, and Australia, and I'm from London, and there was the whole fitting in thing. They were great — very accepting.

"They were very famous in Australia when I joined them. They'd pretty much gotten to the top of the heap there very quickly. And they'd been to Europe once or twice at that point too. But we were still touring on a modest basis. We were playing small venues with little equipment, with a little van, and we were all driving together in a station wagon and stuff. And that, over the years, has changed. Not to say it wasn't fun; it was a lot of fun."

The rescheduled dates of AC/DC's North American tour — which will be the band's first concerts here with Rose on lead vocals — will kick off in Greensboro, North Carolina on August 27, just five days after Rose completes his summer stadium run with GUNS N' ROSES.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cliff- … oFhGivl.99

James

James wrote:

*Paging Duff Mckagan to the front desk of AC/DC headquarters*

Board footer