You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

i'd like to hear Axl do Big Gun at least once

Hell Yes!

I was listening to AC/DC the other night and there's a whole host of Brian songs he'd sound great on. I know he's more into the Bon stuff but I'd kill to hear stuff like "Got You By the Balls"  and "Rock The House" - hell I could list like 20 more lol

I agree he sounds better in Ac/Dc than GNR now though.

I think it's because his mid range is shot for rasp.

It seems he can sing midrange clean, or in his ultra-low voice, or he can do a high pitched rasp. A lot of the Ac/Dc stuff uses high pitched rasp so he can basically scream it out and hide other weaknesses. But GNR songs have more melody in the mid-range where it shows up more IMO.

Axlin16 wrote:

However, no matter to who thinks i'm a dick on this, if Axl fails to release any original material during this final run at that the top, he is a failure imo as a musician.

I understand the sentiment and the frustration but failure is too strong a word for it I think.

I mean you can't really be a failure and also be considered one of the top frontmen of all time, be the go-to guy one of the biggest rock acts in the world used in an emergency, regularly chart on top-singer of all time polls, and have written some of the best selling records of all time.

Lets face it - if Axl had died in 1992 no one would dare use the world failure within a lightyear of him - he'd be a saint and rock god - so why should his legacy be punished because he had the wisdom not to end his life and rather enjoyed a leisurely semi-retirement thereafter?

That said I DO GET THE FRUSTRATION - to me Axl's voice is the greatest thing ever and it borders on CRIMINAL that politics/fights/business/whatever let that art not happen. I mean you just look at Sailing in 2006 and you realise what could have been. Likewise if the reunion GNR doesn't deliver anything for us it's pretty damn wasteful!

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Hmm...maybe soon AC/DC members will be replaced by GN'R members and there you go...someone else owns the name and calls the shots... 16

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Big Gun is a really fun song, but I'd love to hear Hard as a Rock or Satellite Blues. Always partial to those Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip tracks.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

*Paging Duff Mckagan to the front desk of AC/DC headquarters*

Yeah, it's hardly a stretch now. Credentials in songwriting, live shows, and team play? Duff checks all.

I have a feeling Angus will go out like Lemmy, taking the band with him. Health permitting, he's hardly to retire now. Fair enough, it's his band and he could care less about what some jokers on the Interweb would rather have him do.

Reminds me of certain someone... lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Something else that reminds me of a certain someone would be the supergroup aspect to it. In 2001 Axl had two members of Praxis in GNR. In 2016, Angus could have two members of GNR in AC/DC's lineup.

Like you said, its not even a stretch. In 2016 we have went beyond pipe dream territory.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

James Lofton wrote:

Something else that reminds me of a certain someone would be the supergroup aspect to it. In 2001 Axl had two members of Praxis in GNR. In 2016, Angus could have two members of GNR in AC/DC's lineup.

Like you said, its not even a stretch. In 2016 we have went beyond pipe dream territory.

Would Duff be into it though?

Isn't his background more punk related? And less AC / DC. 

And if so holy people with Scottish backgrounds in this band ha.

Shitty on Cliff for calling it a day. Like come on dude. Play it out.

If not I guess Angus can always get another Young to play bass, but, then that is a little too Van Halen styles by making it total family shit.

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

i'd like to hear Axl do Big Gun at least once

Hell Yes!

I was listening to AC/DC the other night and there's a whole host of Brian songs he'd sound great on. I know he's more into the Bon stuff but I'd kill to hear stuff like "Got You By the Balls"  and "Rock The House" - hell I could list like 20 more lol

I agree he sounds better in Ac/Dc than GNR now though.

I think it's because his mid range is shot for rasp.

It seems he can sing midrange clean, or in his ultra-low voice, or he can do a high pitched rasp. A lot of the Ac/Dc stuff uses high pitched rasp so he can basically scream it out and hide other weaknesses. But GNR songs have more melody in the mid-range where it shows up more IMO.

Axlin16 wrote:

However, no matter to who thinks i'm a dick on this, if Axl fails to release any original material during this final run at that the top, he is a failure imo as a musician.

I understand the sentiment and the frustration but failure is too strong a word for it I think.

I mean you can't really be a failure and also be considered one of the top frontmen of all time, be the go-to guy one of the biggest rock acts in the world used in an emergency, regularly chart on top-singer of all time polls, and have written some of the best selling records of all time.

Lets face it - if Axl had died in 1992 no one would dare use the world failure within a lightyear of him - he'd be a saint and rock god - so why should his legacy be punished because he had the wisdom not to end his life and rather enjoyed a leisurely semi-retirement thereafter?

That said I DO GET THE FRUSTRATION - to me Axl's voice is the greatest thing ever and it borders on CRIMINAL that politics/fights/business/whatever let that art not happen. I mean you just look at Sailing in 2006 and you realise what could have been. Likewise if the reunion GNR doesn't deliver anything for us it's pretty damn wasteful!

I agree. I don't think Axl Rose is a failure.

He is a complicated person, but aren't we all?

Gives off a very Brian Wilson vibe to me. I am not talking like a shell of himself style. Where mental illness has really had an affect on Brian. Even then people underestimate Mr. Wilson and treat him like he is a zombie when he ain't. The point is. Axl might be a little too scared that his vision is too out there, and that is why shit hasn't been released. It doesn't help that the record company fucked him over. Like how the Beach Boys' Smile album got fucked over by the record company (and people within the band Mike Love).

So to me Mr. Rose has that Brian Wilson style of talent. He just needs to get it out there and take that leap of faith. Obviously it helps by being on good terms with Duff and Slash right now. Maybe Izzy Stradlin could be his Dennis Wilson esque encouragement?

Cause' that is the one thing that sets Brian Wilson apart from Axl. Is he had the love and support of his brothers (Dennis [Musically speaking] than Carl).

Axl's favour there is no Mike Love style figure in Guns and he has largely control of the ship.

So I think we will get more music and what not.

Board footer