You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: The Set-List

Ragnar wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Just goin thru the motions, cashing their cheque's.. What a farce. Charlatans.

And you expected anything else ? this a nostalgia tour nothing more.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

If you're bitching about the set you probably haven't been to a show.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think anyone said the shows aren't good.

It's just after the past 30 years it gets frustrating that GnR always does the minimum effort compared to its peers. Less albums, less value at meet and greets, less value for fan clubs, less variety in sets, selling reunion shows in the wrong order, leaving fans to guess when they get adler and when they don't etc. Because they are so talented everything they do kicks ass anyway, but it would be nice to see them do more than the entry level of their own ability is all.

That said, they sound checked Catcher, and there's still the list of treats like Slither on the Alternative list. So I'm hopeful we'll get some variety before the tours over.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I find some things about this tour distasteful but the setlist isn't one of them.

It seems obvious to me that they've avoided Izzy songs and the more creative and complicated / creative CD songs. Slash has done a decent job with "Better" and "Chinese Democracy" but he's also had some real shit-tier performances with those songs as well.

They're halfway through this leg of the tour. I think now is the perfect time to start switching it up.

The UYI tour was unprecedented but people also fail to remember the myriad of cancelled shows, Axl voice issues, late shows, etc.

But I will say my expectations are getting higher and bullshit tolerance is getting lower. The band is in the best position it can possibly be in to succeed with new music, releasing old stuff, etc., so they need to deliver the goods to their fans who have been getting deep dicked for 15 years.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't think anyone said the shows aren't good.

It's just after the past 30 years it gets frustrating that GnR always does the minimum effort compared to its peers. Less albums, less value at meet and greets, less value for fan clubs, less variety in sets, selling reunion shows in the wrong order, leaving fans to guess when they get adler and when they don't etc. Because they are so talented everything they do kicks ass anyway, but it would be nice to see them do more than the entry level of their own ability is all.

That said, they sound checked Catcher, and there's still the list of treats like Slither on the Alternative list. So I'm hopeful we'll get some variety before the tours over.

What the heck is minimal effort about a 2.5 hour set?? Huh???!!

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

No reason Adler shouldn't be at every show now.  You know he wants to and, unlike Izzy, I doubt he'd be looking for anything more than a modest monetary amount.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

Who fucking cares about Adler? Look if Izzy is there and they are doing an original 5 thing that's one thing. But for this tour? WHO FUCKING CARES?

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

I do.

4/5 of something is better than 3/5 of something.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

Whatever. I don't get it. If you were around and a fan for the Illusions I hope you were saying the same thing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

What the heck is minimal effort about a 2.5 hour set?? Huh???!!

I could list things, but to be 100% honest, I'm enjoying the boots of the shows, and I don't want to dwell on the negative aspects and spoil it for myself and others too much.

However to give you an idea, this comes after 20 years of a fake GNR with noticeable business and sound issues that they can't seem to correct, the phoned in performances by Axl with no rasp 2012-2014 for apparently no reason other than lack of enthusiasm, the meets and greets where guys like richard dont even bother to come, the expensive fan club with no content..for multiple years, the silence to fans and the contempt shown for fans when considered at all, then the reunion: .the way they sold the reunion shows in the wrong order....frank's lack of chemistry with the band ..the way they use adler at random but give fans no indication of when it will happen....not bothering to add in the alternate songs. Like I say I don't want to dwell on it - but it just feels like for many many years they basically do the smallest easiest thing. Personally as you know I don't care about Izzy but I can only pitty you bastards that do!

The one exception to this is coma back in the setlist and Slash learning stuff like TIL which I really appreciated. I'm not explaining myself well - it's not that I don't love this stuff.  Perhaps I'm the only guy on here that feels this way, but I've loved this band so long, and don't get me wrong this is all so fucking great, and we never thought we'd live to see it, but there is a part of me that finds elements of this bitter sweet.

It's just kind of frustrating that they waited until Axl has *almost* lost the ability to sing in the style he made famous. He sounds great compared to 2012 but is noticeably weaker than 2006 and earlier. Fair enough can't expect a guy of 50 to sing like 40 or 20....but it's sort of frustrating that they waited until it's nearly and tangibly too late....and then decide to do something...but still when they decide to do something it still isn't the whole shebang...and it's clumsily executed.

Talk is we'll get a new GH and maybe some new tracks around December. If that happens I'll lose my shit. But yeah...I read slither on the alternate list like I read perfect crime for 10 years and oh my god for years before that and I raise an eyebrow. May it happen. However I feel we're like stockholm syndrome here. So many decades of nothing that we gleefully accept minimum order. No doubt the band would call me a cunt for saying this stuff. But I dunno. It's just so wasteful how they continue to squander opportunity after opportunity. At least they're doing this big tour now...but when you think about what could happen with a reunited tour...this is absolutely the least that you'd think would happen.

Perhaps an inane analogy - but it's like you finally hooked up with the girl you had a crush on in collage - only you do it at 45 rather than 20 - and you've had so many heartbreaks and sex isn't the mystery and adventure it used to be 16

But then my life has gone to shit of late...so maybe it's just depression talking.

Board footer