You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Official band pic

James wrote:

You're taking that the wrong way. Of course no one can replace Slash. He could've been the NEW Slash. The bizarre character had major potential if pushed right. Bucket and Bootsy made waves on the red carpet at the VMAs. People cant look away. In 2016 when the reunion rumors were at their apex, guess which CD member was the one being mentioned in those articles? Bucket.....and he left 12 years ago. Some comedy show did a skit during the buzz and it referenced Buckethead. Other than Stinson who was well known and had cred long before joining GNR, Bucket is the most well known member of GNR the past 20 years.

In a scenario with a 21st century new GNR that is a viable, creative entity that releases albums, tours, releases videos, and does promo blitzes, he would've made a splash. Let Tommy and Brain do some of the heavy lifting with the media. Throw Finck in there since he had some appeal...certainly with the NIN crowd which is pretty big.

It was all flushed down the toilet. Hell, when IRS leaked in 2003 and the world took notice(but only a few thousand heard it on the radio before it was pulled), instead of doing nothing Axl should have called that 2002 lineup and told them to get down to LA and record a video. During the Axl scream, have him standing next to Bucket during that insane solo like he does with Slash. It would've been a great visual of a new GNR going in a new direction. Instead, Bucket bails a year later.

I agree with what Tommy admitted in 2009.....in hindsight the moment Bucket bailed it was basically all over but the crying.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Bringing in Robin Finck was by far the biggest mistake Axl made when it comes to so called " New Guns N`Roses " you don`t replace Slash with him, you just don`t. Buckethead was Axl`s last chance to do something noteworthy and have a cult following. Unfortunately, he blew it up.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Axl replaced the creativity with the new players but basically ignored what Slash and Duff brought to the table elsewhere.

Slash and Duff are good media guys and Duff has business smarts and a head for diplomacy and business.

James Lofton wrote:

I agree with what Tommy admitted in 2009.....in hindsight the moment Bucket bailed it was basically all over but the crying.

Tommy admitted that? Can I check it out?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The problem also was Axl's desire to go in a new direction.

Slash is fairly irreplaceable by nature, however, he might have been replaced with relative success if he'd been swapped with a monster player who is also somewhat of a guitar hero in a similar style - someone like Doug Aldrich - or even if they'd kept playing around with Zakk.

Bottom line is the audience didn't want Robin's versions of the old songs, and it doesn't want primus style Buckethead stuff either under the name of GNR.

I can imagine the 2001 line up making great albums, but it doesn't sound like what the public thought GNR is or like old GNR.

Additionally there's the secondary problem of Axl's writers block or why ever he won't share new music, and his reclusiveness during that period.

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:

I can agree about Doug but screw Zakk and his pinch harmonics.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll try to find the Stinson interview. He did a few interviews post album release that were amazing. Came clean on the whole saga. Made me see things in a whole new light. The CD project was fucked every which way but loose by the label.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The label no doubt bears some responsibility. As does the fact that many business types in music are full of shit.

However we also have to consider the Lebeis family approach of hiding information that might upset Axl from Axl, and we have to consider Axl's mental heath tendency towards victimhood, secrecy and paranoia. Basically becoming famous was probably not very good for someone with his existing issues.

The label thing only goes so far. It's not like Axl plays new songs live every tour like he could if it was just release issues.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I find it bizarre that Axl had this sort of bravado about the whole thing in the beginning.

He was like, hey, we're here, we're playing half of our album, we'll be back soon with more songs. Oh and the album is actually a double album but there's another album worth of stuff in the works too. He was aggressive as fuck back in the day.

I can see him getting hurt by fan/media reaction, frustrated by the record company, and dejected when RTB and friends told him it wasn't good enough, but even after Rio he was in high spirits. The 2002 shows were getting good reviews before the tour was cancelled.

It's tough to date things but I'd guess a lot of was written/recorded 2003-2005 even with Buckethead officially quitting as well considering they were scheduled for a "comeback" in 2004/2005 before it got pushed off until 2006.

I also want to know what happened 2007-2008 when the album negotiations and all that shit was going on. That'd be some juicy drama for sure.

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:

Whole CD saga was fucked when Ezrin told Axl he had only 3 good songs. he is as much responsible for a clusterfuck that followed as is Axl himself or label.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Axl's mistake was using a new band and calling it guns n roses...I've said it a million times...if he would've just been "Axl Rose" similar to Ozzy Osborne going solo after Sabbath then every thing turns out alot different IMHO

Finck is a bad choice of guitarist for gnr style of music...he is a product of late 90s industrial rock and not, never has been, and never will be a late 80s guitar god hard rock style guitarist...which is what gnr needs

IMO NIN, Marilyn Manson, White Zombie type shit is Finck's bag...not estranged and scom ... his dissonant chords and drop-d tricks just dont fit ... you gotta use the right tool for the job my freinds

Board footer