You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Suicide Squad/Justice League Films

monkeychow wrote:

Watched this again today (free ticket).

Enjoyed it more second time around now I knew what to expect.

Although I do think Leto tried a bit hard, I must admit due to the Joker character his scenes are sort of show stealing. Basically I find him, deadshot and Harley really carried the film.

Leto said they cut out a lot of Joker stuff - will be interesting to see if we get more on DVD.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

I have n`t watched Suicide Squad yet but from what I gather reading comments here and based on reviews, it turned out as I expected, in another words, shite, which is a pitty because I used to be a big DC fan. Hollywood PC nazis ruin everything.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Saw it last week and really enjoyed it. Yes it's a mess with a rushed/weak script and Warner Bros. is to blame completely for the bad editing, re-shoots, and trying to imitate a Guardians of the Galaxy style that just doesn't completely work with Ayer's initial tone. Ayer is also to blame as I've found out with some of these DC directors that need to grow a back bone and tell Warner to fuck off with their movie. They better not screw over Jenkins or future movies like this again. They are going to learn the hard way and fans/audiences, critics are taking notice.

As for the movie, I thought Will Smith and Robbie crushed it in their roles. Easily the film's highlights besides Diablo and Amanda Waller. While I liked Leto's Joker to an extent even though it needs some tweaking with the make up and dialogue. As reported, a bunch of his scenes with Harley got cut and those could of helped the film's tone out alot more. As well as save it's story. The third act is really messy and the song's besides a couple in the beginning feel so out of place. They even re-use a song that was popular in Marvel's Guardians which is pretty lazy. Overall the action and moments with the characters save this movie and made me smile throughout the showing. Hope to see most of these characters come back and get more development next time around. Probably in Affleck's solo Batman movie.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Let's be honest and tell it like it is.

Marvel has RUINED the comic book movie

DC set a wonderful tone with the Nolanverse in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Now, because Marvel basically do hokey comedies disguised as dramatic films, Marvel films appeal to ALL audiences and rarely (Deadpool) are anything more than PG-13 rating.

Whedon and TPTB wanted to keep the Nolanverse alive, and get darker and darker, more like the DC-era from the mid-80s into the 90's, and just get hyper-violent with it. WB won't let them, because kids can't see R-rated movies, and R-rated movies don't move toys.

They should've just made their film, which to my knowledge was going to be A-LOT more like BvS:DOJ, and far less like the Guardians knock-off Suicide Squad became. After the lukewarm reaction from fans & critics to BvS, and massive "it sucked" memes for BvS, WB panicked and immediately demanded re-cutting Suicide Squad to play more like a comedy, ala the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Instead they gutted a film that was probably so-so to begin with, and just turned it into a trainwreck.

Bottom line, imo, is the directors and writers of these DC films are making the films for DC FANS AND DC FANS -- ONLY!

WB however wants ALL audiences, and the producers continue to push wanting to copy Marvel/Disney's platform to sell their product and ultimately they've shot themselves in the foot.

I wouldn't be shocked with the critical and fan reactions to BvS & Suicide Squad if more films aren't cancelled on their docket. They were supposedly planning side-films for Aquaman and pretty much everyone in Suicide Squad, and all of that has been put on hold for now, even though WB isn't admitting it. There's even talk that they're demanding a re-cast in Leto's Joker.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

DC has dropped a ball when it comes to live-action movies but their animation is still top-notch. Batman The Killing Joke is the best animated feature they did in a long time. Still DC`s worst movie shits all over Marvel.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed.

I'd take DC over Marvel any day. I just don't dig the overabundance of the tonque-in-cheek shit with Marvel. It actually kind of burned me out with them. It was one thing with Tony Stark & Robert Downey, Jr. & Iron Man. That's cool. That's Rob's character, and blah blah blah. But then they did it... again... and again... and again. Guardians, Deadpool, Ant Man. Even when DC freaked everyone in 1988 and decided to hire, then comedy-actor Michael Keaton, to play Bruce Wayne/Batman, people feared a return to Batmania in the 60's. Yet Keaton not only delivered a dark, dramatic performance... i'd argue that Batman Returns in 1992, might be one of Keaton's greatest cinematic performances. Just stellar from beginning to end, getting the nuisances that make HIS Wayne/Batman. What became the definition for THE Batman performance, until Christian Bale, and i'd argue Affleck on BvS was better than Bale in the entire TDK Trilogy.

As for The Killing Joke anime, I felt it was solid as well. Especially to go R-rated with it. All I heard was complains that it wasn't a proper Batgirl story and that everyone was pissed off because Barbara Gordon/Batgirl had a relationship with Bruce/Batman in it and that infuriated everyone.

I've never understood why shipping Batgirl/Batman has always sent the fanboy crowd into hysteria. To me, despite the obvious age difference, i've always thought it made perfect sense. Hooking up Barbara with her innocence of crime-fighting is the perfect counter to his burnt out wanting to die version of Batman. Hooking Barbara up with Dick Grayson/Tim Drake/Robin, is boring, although i'd prefer Nightwing to Robin. I can see the Dick Grayson connection to her.

Either way, to me it's the perfect relationship, and i've never understood why it wasn't, other than people who wanted him with some sort of badgirl, Talia Al Ghul/Catwoman-scenario.

To me, if the story were to organically move on, it made perfect sense. Bruce reconciles his parents, fails to save his love -- Batgirl -- from Joker, she gets paralyzed and becomes Oracle. Alfred then dies, and Oracle becomes the mother hen over Bruce, hung up over failing to save her from Joker, while continuing his quasi-love/comrade relationship with Oracle, with a deceased Alfred.

imho

Never understood why the fanboys freaked out about that kind of scenario. Alfred has to eventually meet his maker, lol.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed.

I'd take DC over Marvel any day. I just don't dig the overabundance of the tonque-in-cheek shit with Marvel. It actually kind of burned me out with them. It was one thing with Tony Stark & Robert Downey, Jr. & Iron Man. That's cool. That's Rob's character, and blah blah blah. But then they did it... again... and again... and again. Guardians, Deadpool, Ant Man. Even when DC freaked everyone in 1988 and decided to hire, then comedy-actor Michael Keaton, to play Bruce Wayne/Batman, people feared a return to Batmania in the 60's. Yet Keaton not only delivered a dark, dramatic performance... i'd argue that Batman Returns in 1992, might be one of Keaton's greatest cinematic performances. Just stellar from beginning to end, getting the nuisances that make HIS Wayne/Batman. What became the definition for THE Batman performance, until Christian Bale, and i'd argue Affleck on BvS was better than Bale in the entire TDK Trilogy.

As for The Killing Joke anime, I felt it was solid as well. Especially to go R-rated with it. All I heard was complains that it wasn't a proper Batgirl story and that everyone was pissed off because Barbara Gordon/Batgirl had a relationship with Bruce/Batman in it and that infuriated everyone.

I've never understood why shipping Batgirl/Batman has always sent the fanboy crowd into hysteria. To me, despite the obvious age difference, i've always thought it made perfect sense. Hooking up Barbara with her innocence of crime-fighting is the perfect counter to his burnt out wanting to die version of Batman. Hooking Barbara up with Dick Grayson/Tim Drake/Robin, is boring, although i'd prefer Nightwing to Robin. I can see the Dick Grayson connection to her.

Either way, to me it's the perfect relationship, and i've never understood why it wasn't, other than people who wanted him with some sort of badgirl, Talia Al Ghul/Catwoman-scenario.

To me, if the story were to organically move on, it made perfect sense. Bruce reconciles his parents, fails to save his love -- Batgirl -- from Joker, she gets paralyzed and becomes Oracle. Alfred then dies, and Oracle becomes the mother hen over Bruce, hung up over failing to save her from Joker, while continuing his quasi-love/comrade relationship with Oracle, with a deceased Alfred.

imho

Never understood why the fanboys freaked out about that kind of scenario. Alfred has to eventually meet his maker, lol.

The Killing Joke intro was just so poorly done. Could it make sense for Batman and Batgirl to get together? Yes, but don't make it look like they're in fucking middle school with the whole "oh should i text batman first" bullshit.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Watchmen was the perfect comic book movie. Dark, fun and mature. Knew absolutely nothing about the source material going in and I thought they did a great job of introducing while telling a good story.

Of course it underperformed, so won't be seeing that again for a while.

Batman Returns was also great, way ahead of its time.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I just watched Batman vs Superman and thought it was awesome. Really loved it. And I thought it was better than the last Avengers film and Iron Man 3.

AtariLegend wrote:

This was much worse than Batman vs. Superman. Too much CGI, bad action scenes, terrible villain, little plot and too much music. The directing too makes Batman vs. Superman look like Once Upon A Time In America.

Definitely did come across as just thrown together, which is bizarre when they finished filming a year before release. The trailers make it look like a completely different film and the first 30 minutes of flashbacks/introductions hint at scenes from films they wanted to make instead.

I wasn't fan of this version of the Joker and that's despite him barely being in the film and serving no purpose other than for advertising material.

Captain Boomerang by contrast get's alot of screen time, but doesn't really do anything despite interacting with characters the whole movie.

Don't think Katana/Killer Croc said more than two sentences.

Deadshot/Harley weren't really bad guys at all in this which can of defeats the purpose of it.

Can't see the excitement in another Batman movie with Jared Leto's Joker and Justice League is almost certainly doomed.

Board footer