You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

Flagg you're wrong. WH is admitting it was "lighthearted" comments to Mexico.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the … 3cc7cb45e0

Trump threatened — his administration insisted it was "light-hearted" — Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto with sending American troops into his country.

Guess the tables have turned. You're the one believing "fake news". In reading the LATimes article, all it says is the Mexican President said he "never was threatened". Semantics, so you gotta learn to read between the lines on this stuff.

Randall Flagg wrote:

It's not true. Or it's taken completely out of context to portray something it obviously wasn't.

How was I wrong again?  The news article took it completely out of context, running headlines Trump threatens to invade Mexico.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
bigbri wrote:

As someone in media, lemme tell you what we're hearing.

Leaks are coming from within Trump's inner circle. Some are legit. Some are deliberately incorrect so Trump team and supporters can yell "fake news." That leads us to arguments like we have here on this forum. We don't discuss if what Trump is doing is sound leadership; we discuss if it's real.

There's a strong theory Bannon is behind it all, mixing disinformation with the real news to obfuscate the truth, whatever it is. The end game, and anyone can figure this out, is to discredit all media except for ardent supporters.

Just what i'm hearing. Carry on.

Seriously fucked up.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

How was I wrong again?  The news article took it completely out of context, running headlines Trump threatens to invade Mexico.

The reports were he said (paraphrasing) "I'll send my military down there to clean up for you".  The WH is now confirming he pretty much did, but that it was in jest. So the reports weren't wrong, each of them from what I read mentioned 'the context was not known". Even still, pretty idiotic thing to say. Esp considering he didn't really get off to a great start with Mexico anyway.

Iran
Australia
Germany
Mexico

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Then again, it's Obama's fault

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

As someone in media, lemme tell you what we're hearing.

Leaks are coming from within Trump's inner circle. Some are legit. Some are deliberately incorrect so Trump team and supporters can yell "fake news." That leads us to arguments like we have here on this forum. We don't discuss if what Trump is doing is sound leadership; we discuss if it's real.

There's a strong theory Bannon is behind it all, mixing disinformation with the real news to obfuscate the truth, whatever it is. The end game, and anyone can figure this out, is to discredit all media except for ardent supporters.

Just what i'm hearing. Carry on.

So is the media going to run with every BS story they get or are they going to continue and Dan Rather themselves into non-relevance?

I would imagine broadcast media just might. Print is more careful. Our D.C. bureau rarely if at all is using anonymous
sources. Wire services like AP and Reuters have a lot of anonymous sources.

The thing is, if a media outlet has a source they trust they might go with it. But who is supplying that source with the info. Becomes a hard situation to read. And if you have two sources with the same info, that's gold. But they both could have planted info.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

i don't really like broadcast media, if you can't tell.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Australia denied that Trump hung up or the call wasn't cordial.  This is fake news bullshit by a media that desperately wants to push the narrative the 4th Reich is on the rise, failing to acknowledge if that were remotely true they wouldn't be allowed to be on the air.  Iran is trying to get nukes.  Obama's weak ass handed them that ability with a smile. And now Trump is the bad guy for saying we won't tolerate a nuclear Iran?

It's not fake news. Because there is denial to save embarrassment. The pee tape isn't fake, but unsubstantiated. You're this rube falling for Trump's fake news shit. What big is saying makes sense.

Denial to save embarrassment?  By both countries. Well fuck, I guess every story about Trump is true and we can just dismiss claims from the only groups able to validate as denial to avoid embarrassment.

It's not true. Or it's taken completely out of context to portray something it obviously wasn't.

It's fake news, and as long as the media cries wolf, the less they'll be believed when something real happens.

The pee tape was fake. Obama even asked why the intelligence agencies were showing it to him when they know it was bullshit.  Don't go down the conspiracy road. We already have one truther on the forum. We don't need another.

It's not fake, they admitted he ended the call abruptly and are not disputing the content. The PM was putting the spin on it saying it was courteous. Trump's WH is saying it was contentious.

If it happened, it's not fake. If it was reported that he threatened to send the army into Mexico when he offered (inappropriately IMO) to send in the military, it is not fake news.  Fake news is saying Hillary was running a child sex operation out of a DC pizzeria, that's fake news.

ill give you the pee tape.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I hope we don't go to war with Iran

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I hope we don't go to war with Iran

Trump is  laying ground work for it...I mean putting them on notice.

My guess is we invade Australia first though.

misterID

misterID wrote:

There was an article I read a while ago that talked about how White Nationalism is steeped in war, needing a war to establish supremacy, etc. There's an obsession with war, and Steve Bannon is obsessed with war. Check this out:

The United States will go to war with China in “five to 10 years” over the South China Sea dispute, according to Steve Bannon, who is President Donald Trump’s chief political strategist.

These comments by Bannon were made last March, but they resurfaced Thursday at a time when Washington and Beijing’s relations have soured after Trump questioned the "One China" policy and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said China should be barred from islands in the contested region.

“We’re going to war in the South China Sea in five to 10 years, aren’t we? There’s no doubt about that. They’re taking their sandbars and making basically stationary aircraft carriers and putting missiles on those. They come here to the United States in front of our face — and you understand how important face is — and say it’s an ancient territorial sea,” Bannon said on a radio show hosted for Breitbart in March 2016.

misterID

misterID wrote:

U.S. military probing more possible civilian deaths in Yemen raid

WORLD NEWS | Thu Feb 2, 2017 | 10:37am EST
U.S. military probing more possible civilian deaths in Yemen raid

By Ayesha Rascoe | DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, DEL.
The U.S. military said on Wednesday it was looking into whether more civilians were killed in a raid on al Qaeda in Yemen on the weekend, in the first operation authorized by President Donald Trump as commander in chief.

U.S. Navy SEAL William “Ryan” Owens was killed in the raid on a branch of al Qaeda, also known as AQAP, in al Bayda province, which the Pentagon said also killed 14 militants. However, medics at the scene said about 30 people, including 10 women and children, were killed.

U.S. Central Command said in a statement that an investigating team had "concluded regrettably that civilian non-combatants were likely killed" during Sunday's raid. It said children may have been among the casualties.

Central Command said its assessment "seeks to determine if there were any still-undetected civilian casualties in the ferocious firefight."

U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.

The Pentagon directed queries about the officials' characterization of the raid to U.S. Central Command, which pointed only to its statement on Wednesday.

"CENTCOM asks for operations we believe have a good chance for success and when we ask for authorization we certainly believe there is a chance of successful operations based on our planning," CENTCOM spokesman Colonel John Thomas said.

"Any operation where you are going to put operators on the ground has inherent risks," he said.

The U.S. officials said the extremists’ base had been identified as a target before the Obama administration left office on Jan. 20, but then-President Barack Obama held off approving a raid ahead of his departure.

A White House official said the operation was thoroughly vetted by the previous administration and that the previous defense secretary had signed off on it in January. The raid was delayed for operational reasons, the White House official said.

The military officials who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity said "a brutal firefight" killed Owens and at least 15 Yemeni women and children. One of the dead was the 8-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, a militant killed by a 2011 U.S. drone strike.

Some of the women were firing at the U.S. force, Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis told reporters.

The American elite forces did not seize any militants or take any prisoners offsite, but White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Wednesday the raid yielded benefits.

"Knowing that we killed an estimated 14 AQAP members and that we gathered an unbelievable amount of intelligence that will prevent the potential deaths or attacks on American soil – is something that I think most service members understand, that that’s why they joined the service,” Spicer said.

A senior leader in Yemen's al Qaeda branch, Abdulraoof al-Dhahab, and other militants were killed in the gunbattle, al Qaeda said.

One of the three U.S. officials said on-the-ground surveillance of the compound was “minimal, at best.”

“The decision was made ... to leave it to the incoming administration, partly in the hope that more and better intelligence could be collected,” that official said.

As Sunday's firefight intensified, the raiders called in Marine helicopter gunships and Harrier jump jets, and then two MV-22 Osprey vertical takeoff and landing aircraft to extract the SEALs.

One of the two suffered engine failure, two of the officials said, and hit the ground so hard that two crew members were injured, and one of the Marine jets had to launch a precision-guided bomb to destroy it.

Trump traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Wednesday in an unexpected visit to meet the family of Owens, who had been a chief special warfare operator.

Board footer