You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

in fact it seems more likely the question during his hearing was worded in such a manner as to predict & cover this very issue i.e. he wasn't asked did he have contact with Russian officials, he was asked did he have contact with Russian officials with relation to the election. Plenty of leeway there.

Interesting theory. Admittedly I just don't like Sessions, at all. Too old school/throwback. This isn't 1985 anymore, and he was going to try to make it such.  Cracking down on states who've legalized marijuana is an incredibly narcissistic idea, and he's got others. He reminds me  of Donald Rumsfeld (granted he wasn't SoS but same mindset "I'm right because I'm right so believe me"), and we just got done with 6 years of him 11 years ago. Still getting over it.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

in fact it seems more likely the question during his hearing was worded in such a manner as to predict & cover this very issue i.e. he wasn't asked did he have contact with Russian officials, he was asked did he have contact with Russian officials with relation to the election. Plenty of leeway there.

Interesting theory. Admittedly I just don't like Sessions, at all. Too old school/throwback. This isn't 1985 anymore, and he was going to try to make it such.  Cracking down on states who've legalized marijuana is an incredibly narcissistic idea, and he's got others. He reminds me  of Donald Rumsfeld (granted he wasn't SoS but same mindset "I'm right because I'm right so believe me"), and we just got done with 6 years of him 11 years ago. Still getting over it.

We should let the states decide....right?!

That's a lot of BS

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This is the perfect time to get a better AG and ditch sessions.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Why?  He is perfectly qualified and if he were to resign, the DNC would claim it was evidence of collusion and demand more people resign.  Let them look like the idiots from the leftovers dressed in white, never mind their own party is the one who opposed women's suffrage.  They're a joke and will continue to be so until they come up with real ideas that benefit everyday Americans and not illegals or refugees.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Why?  He is perfectly qualified and if he were to resign, the DNC would claim it was evidence of collusion and demand more people resign.  Let them look like the idiots from the leftovers dressed in white, never mind their own party is the one who opposed women's suffrage.  They're a joke and will continue to be so until they come up with real ideas that benefit everyday Americans and not illegals or refugees.

Who gives a shit what they claim. I am saying get a better AG. He has too many flaws for me. Greta Van Susteran would be a better AG than Jefferson Beauregard Sessions.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

They're a joke and will continue to be so until they come up with real ideas that benefit everyday Americans and not illegals or refugees.

Congress is gerry mandered so that the GOP stays in charge no matter what. In 2012 the Dems got 1.4 million more votes and still lost.

Of course we all know that Hillary got 3 million more votes (and Flagg's vote) and still lost the EC.

Likewise Democrats received the majority of votes for the Senate in 2016.

But Flagg acts like the country has made some sharp turn to the right, and the Dems are completely irrelevant, when nothing of the sort has happened. His hero Trump also has the lowest approval rating of any incoming president that I can recall. So perhaps it would behoove both Trump and his constituents to practice some humility. The majority of Americans voted for the Democrats, Republicans just barely coasted into power and most Americans hold a low opinion of both Trump and the GOP Congress (21% approval for the House.)

Randall Flagg

And your entire argument ignores the electoral college. Democrats got more votes for Senate because the most heavily populated states lean Democratic. In California, it's extremely so.

You can bitch about gerrymandering, but both sides are equal of this. And this addresses nothing about why Republicans control 31 governorships and the majority of state houses where gerrymandering has no effect.

The presidential election is decided by EVs. Not the popular vote. It's not by accident, but by design. Same for the Senate. Your opinion isn't relevant. Wyoming has the same amount of Senators as California.

There has been a push to the right. The states reflect this. Brexit reflects it. Le Penn represents this. Merkel's weakened status reflects this. Only in the countries that have no real influence but enjoy all the protection and comfort afforded to their geographic location next to superpowers (Canada, Sweden, etc.) have you seen any push to the left. And we've seen how well Sweden is doing with its embracemrnt of multiculturalism. We'll see how Canada fairs when Mexican immigrants and refugees leave the US if reports are true.

We've seen how powerful the media is. How it's selective reporting turned the country against Iraq and against Bush. How it carried Obama through a 2nd term, and how they openly admitted refusing to report the truth on Hillary. Despite trying to make every breath Trump exhaled for 15 months a joke, they failed. They lost their control, and now they're throwing tantrums that Trump doesn't say "thank you" after they try to shove their dicks down his throat. The DNC has had the media holding their hand since the mid 90s. Remember the numerous emails from the major news outlets coordinating stories with Clinton in the hacks?  This isn't right wing conspiracy anymore.

Sessions shakes someone's hand at a speech and the media runs it like like they found a tape of Sessions and Putin planning out the attacks. And Pelosi is front and center calling for him to resign. It's a fucking farce and you can only cry wolf so many times before people just shut you out. That's why Trumps favorability among likely voters (key word here Mitch is "likely voters) continues to rise. The people actually participating in the process, the people engaged, overwhelmingly recognize the tantrum being thrown, and it's not from Trump.

That's why I get so irritated when people whom I know are intelligent, fall for the bait and come here posting nonsense about piss videos and conspiracies the very articles they link don't support.

The Democrats are weakened and it's entirely self inflicted. The outrage and victim shit doesn't work. And that's all that is being offered. So finding out what we really should be outraged about isn't possible from them until they come back down to reality.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Raw vote counts matter in the fact that the raw frequency of voters clearly don't support Trump....physical geography be damned...EC be damned...

You cannot pretend that 3 million more voters exist...
You cannot pretend that people are being accurately represented with such wide discrepancies...

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:

Raw vote counts matter in the fact that the raw frequency of voters clearly don't support Trump....physical geography be damned...EC be damned...

You cannot pretend that people are being accurately represented with such wide discrepancies...

That's why the likely voters approval ratings matter. Because if 55% of likely voters approve of Trump, that creates a very strong argument that if the vote were held today, Trump would have a plurality. Whom do you all know that would support that argument?

The EV is all that matters. The popular vote is nice and hopefully always aligns because it means the country isn't so Balkanized.  But when 55% of likely voters approve, that further undercuts the narrative that voters don't want Trump in.

But bitching about the PV or thinking it has any factor in what happens for the next 2 years is useless.  It has no authority and it's not factored into anything other than people throwing tantrums because they don't like the rules.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

That's why the likely voters approval ratings matter. Because if 55% of likely voters approve of Trump, that creates a very strong argument that if the vote were held today, Trump would have a plurality. Whom do you all know that would support that argument?

The EV is all that matters. The popular vote is nice and hopefully always aligns because it means the country isn't so Balkanized.  But when 55% of likely voters approve, that further undercuts the narrative that voters don't want Trump in.

But bitching about the PV or thinking it has any factor in what happens for the next 2 years is useless.  It has no authority and it's not factored into anything other than people throwing tantrums because they don't like the rules.

I don't know anything about 55% of likely voters....that doesn't make any sense....more voters voted for someone else. period. I don't have to support Trump or his corrupt group of billionaires creating a new tax code that mostly benefits them.

There's nothing to be happy about....nothing good is happening except if you want to gear of for more posturing and military spending. I don't give a shit about the immigration ban or the wall....they won't and don't effect me....this is all just stupid as nonsense.

Donald Trump is a stupid ass hole....Fuck Trump yesterday, Fuck Trump Today, Fuck Trump tomorrow....

Board footer