You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Facebook Announcement

misterID wrote:

Eh, after all this time and what we know, I don't see how we can get mad about things we made up in our own heads of what they should do. That ship sailed a long time ago. I remember when we wished they just had a functional website.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's not that they have to do anything.

It's that it's hard to be a fan of something that literally wastes almost any opportunity. Like what is there to engage us? Seriously at this point I can take up almost any hobby, and there's more content.

Like I'm honestly asking myself what is there to be a fan of now.

They toured essentially the same show around the world for 15 years.

They released one new record in the past 26 years.

They blocked every chance of a reunion for literally decades, thwarted their own interests countless times, only to do the absolute minimum now.

It seems like the only motivation to even get back together now is that Axl waited so long that his abilities were starting to wane.

I'm fine with musicians making money but it would be nice if it was at least slightly less cynical but the whole organisation literally holds people who enjoy their products in contempt.

Then once again...they forfeit the chance to use their abilities to create some art in order to reenact a tour they did 25 years earlier..except now lacking vitality, creative energy, or any kind of integrity it seems. I wish they'd read this and tell me to fuck off...just because the anger might make them feel alive enough to actually make some art again.

I'm not angry.

I'm just finding myself following something with no product and content.

I love their music, I've loved it and followed it closely for 30 years. But it doesn't evolve, there's never anything fresh.

The band would say it was my fault, and perhaps it is, I actually regret getting into GNR as a hobby now because it's been so unrewarding. I wish i'd spent this precious time in my life engaging with some other interest. Something where there is enough content to justify fandom, and something with some respect and integrity.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I think the negative reaction to this announcement was due to the video teasers and their content. You recount the bands entire history just to say you are doing some arena shows in cities they played last year? Kind of implied it was something bigger than that.

The video says Appetite was awesome, then they did the Illusions, then Slash and Duff left, then Chinese, then the reunion, and caps with a big "that was just the beginning. What's next?!" More dates, that's what. Whoopee.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

New music or gtfo.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why don't you think AFD will get the deluxe treatment? Out of all possible scenarios, that one is at the top of the list.

The impulse to celebrate anniversaries is the stuff of record companies and museum pieces.

It's arguable that old Axl has joined the ranks of the latter but not the former.

He grew restless with AFD at the height of his mania and reworked the whole thing. That, however flawed a pursuit, is something an artist does. Not remix, remaster, plaster on a white version of the cover with some asshole's gold sharpie and call it new. (I also contend the effort was two parts mania, one part revenge).

I personally don't care for that sort of revisionism. It has never turned out well in the history of art.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I think the negative reaction to this announcement was due to the video teasers and their content. You recount the bands entire history just to say you are doing some arena shows in cities they played last year? Kind of implied it was something bigger than that.

Exactly...it cites the most important moments in the band's history..the pivotal times when the story of this band unfolded...and implied we were soon to hear of a new key event.....

only to discover it's just another leg of the current tour. Not pivotal...not even really that surprising.

Harmless rookie marketing mistake in itself.....but then when you consider how the band has been one of the most anti-prolific and dysfunctional artists in history and how starved for content the fanbase is.....

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ This.

Whilst past experiences suggested the announcement would be underwhelming (which it predictably was), the way it was marketed suggested something more significant.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Aussie, Monkey, Metallex, Bono, Gibbo and Flashflood GET IT!!!! 

They sum up everything perfectly.. They hyped up a bullshit leg of the tour as if AFD 2 was about to be released... Yet we are told "why let it bother you", "Why did you expect anything", "be lucky they are even alive", "be grateful for what you have"....

FUCK YOU!!!!! What kind of sheep loser mentality is that??!?!?!  That is equivalent to Nick Saban saying, "oh well guys, we won some national titles, be content, no need to strive to be our best 100% of the time, lets be lazy mother fuckers and tell the fans they are lucky we are even playing football".. Do you think Michael Jordan or Leborn or Tom Brady would ever approach their craft how Axl approaches his and just show up to arenas to "play ball" and not try and win or be the best they can be?  Fuck, Mick Jagger wouldn't, Slash didn't when he wasn't in GNR, neither did Duff.  This apologist mentality for Axl is so fucking detrimental to the band and embarrassing to those that push that snowflake pussy bullshit. 

AXL, GRAB YOUR FUCKING 54 YEAR OLD BALLS AND SING YOUR ASS OFF AND GIVE US A GOD DAMN REASON TO BE A FAN ANYMORE!!!!!

I would not be pissed one bit if they didn't do a 1 week promo video push for an announcement of arena tour dates.  This may be one of the most disappointing days in GNR history...

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

If I didn't have 15 years telling me better, I would've maybe expected something.

New albums aren't teased or promoted with some cheap ass video template featuring your biggest mega hits on it.

The point of marketing is to get your attention. Y'all got played and are mad about it.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Do you think Michael Jordan or Leborn or Tom Brady would ever approach their craft how Axl approaches his and just show up to arenas to "play ball" and not try and win or be the best they can be?

You want the best? Well they didn't fuckin' make it. So here's what you get, from Hollywood, a warmed over cash-grab nostalgia tour.

Chris Pitman > GN'R. Let that sink in.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

If I didn't have 15 years telling me better, I would've maybe expected something.

New albums aren't teased or promoted with some cheap ass video template featuring your biggest mega hits on it.

The point of marketing is to get your attention. Y'all got played and are mad about it.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Do you think Michael Jordan or Leborn or Tom Brady would ever approach their craft how Axl approaches his and just show up to arenas to "play ball" and not try and win or be the best they can be?

You want the best? Well they didn't fuckin' make it. So here's what you get, from Hollywood, a warmed over cash-grab nostalgia tour.

Chris Pitman > GN'R. Let that sink in.

GNR was the best. Don't be a sheep. You are better than this. Anyone cool with this stunt today is part of the damn problem.

Board footer