You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: European Tour 2017 Thread

esoterica wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

That cartoon someone made of Jarmo doing this exact 180 (or would it be a 360?) always made me laugh. Tried looking for it just now but looks  like someone has had it removed from the web.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Yep still makes me laugh 16

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Jarmo is a waste of space.

johndivney wrote:

Hopefully he pissed in Axl's pool.

johndivney wrote:
dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

in all honesty, they get a pretty solid rating for the setlists from not in this lifetime. they busted out coma, double talkin' jive, yesterdays, sorry, this i love, better, catcher in the rye, chinese democracy, there was a time, used to love her, my michelle, etc

now that they're coming back to hit arenas in the same cities, they're gonna have to go a little deeper. the blues, madagascar & prostitute from cd... and pretty much anything we haven't heard in a while from the illusions. an acoustic version of you're crazy would be dope.

they could always make these interesting by doing some instrumental jams of new songs...

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It's worth remembering in 91 tours were to promote albums. I'm sure the UYI tour still made serious cash but it's primary purpose was to showcase the new UYI albums. This is the tour we hold up as the gold standard and what everyone compares other GNR tours to in terms of setlists etc. This tour was to promote a new 30 track strong album. Factor in the popularity of AFD and the necessity to play 6+ tracks from that each night plus solo spots and you have space for around 10-12 UYI tracks each night. That means typically nearly 2/3rds of the album went unplayed at any given show. It made sense to change up the setlist as they had a lot of new songs to play.

In 2016/17 it is entirely different. The show is about the reunion, there's no album to promote it's about getting as many people in the stadium as possible. Whilst Axl and Slash together is reason enough a GH heavy setlist is more appealing to the 90% than a setlist full of UYI and CD deep cuts.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

it's about getting as much money as possible.

*correction

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It's worth remembering in 91 tours were to promote albums.

In 2016/17 it is entirely different.

In the past, tours were to promote albums. In the present day, albums are just one promotional tool for a tour.

GNR don't need a new album to promote a tour. Hell...they don't even need a GH/Best of, DVD, etc. to promote the tour. It promotes itself.

We live in an era where during some weeks, you can get the number one album on Billboard only selling 30k copies. 30k .

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

In the past, tours were to promote albums. In the present day, albums are just one promotional tool for a tour.

Your 100% right.

But whenever people say this i'm always left thinking "What about the artists in them?"

Sure GNR was always a commercial entity, like that quote goes, everyone we know in music sold out on day 1.

But that said....surely some artists like their music to be heard....that used to be part of the deal.....

before the pain of the CD era...Axl used to like to put his thoughts out there.....it's sad to think he may never again.....

Board footer