You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: AFD_30

They played Jungle in the encore?

I can only go by what I saw live a month ago and they did sound really good. Clearly it's a very different experience being there in person to dissecting a youtube video. I'm sure the overall atmosphere covers smaller deficiencies if you're there in person but they haven't been playing to 50k plus each night and serving up complete shit. People (and by that I mean people at the shows) wouldn't put up with it and word would spread. Yet reviews have been great from fans and reviewers alike. The London show I went to I went with two friends who knew the hits but nothing else and both left saying it was one of the best shows they've ever been to. That was only 5 weeks ago.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

They played Jungle in the encore?

I can only go by what I saw live a month ago and they did sound really good. Clearly it's a very different experience being there in person to dissecting a youtube video. I'm sure the overall atmosphere covers smaller deficiencies if you're there in person but they haven't been playing to 50k plus each night and serving up complete shit. People (and by that I mean people at the shows) wouldn't put up with it and word would spread. Yet reviews have been great from fans and reviewers alike. The London show I went to I went with two friends who knew the hits but nothing else and both left saying it was one of the best shows they've ever been to. That was only 5 weeks ago.

He meant the encore airing of the concert. They've been replaying it today.

I agree with you. Whether he sounds bad live, on YouTube, whatever the case. It hasn't really affected ticket sales or the reviews. The worst I've read, which I can't disagree with, is they look like they're going through the motions onstage. Still though, they're raking in money hand over fist. Literally laughing all the way to the bank.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's one of the reasons why they're not doing press.

They don't need to and it will only hurt them.

It'll be interesting to see how the 2nd leg sells in NA. It'll sell like gangbusters internationally regardless.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It's one of the reasons why they're not doing press.

They don't need to and it will only hurt them.

It'll be interesting to see how the 2nd leg sells in NA. It'll sell like gangbusters internationally regardless.

I don't think the shows are selling as well this time around, yet they're still adding dates so they're obviously not concerned. There will come a time when the profits will shrink, and we may be at the start of that. At that point they'll have a decision to make. Until then though, I don't see any drastic changes.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I'd be interested to know their contract situation.

It'd probably fall on LiveNation to do something about slumping tour profits before GN'R does something. Even if the tour tanked in the US, it'd make up for it on the international market. So, it don't really matter. I guess you'll find out for yourself...

I would say something like "knowing Axl, that shit would be iron clad" but the release of Chinese was such an embarrassing clusterfuck, one questions his business acumen. Okay, "knowing Duff, there's zero way that promotion, interviews, etc. are going to happen unless it's written into the contract".

New music will never be a bargaining chip for tour profits. Especially when that tour is selling well. Especially when the Chinese sessions are probably wrapped in red tape legal fuckery.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Encore is on again. I LOVE the brutality of DTJ now. Melissa doing the "Lies" part if the chorus and the harmony with Duff is really nice.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Melissa should sing the female part of Rocket Queen.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

And the AFD30 billboards and such are acknowledging a landmark album, but at no point was last nights show officially labeled as a celebration of that album. I understand people making that assumption,

Well from the other side of the coin, i can understand why longterm fans as us who have been jaded by all the previous misfires choose to believe in nothing....but I think it's stretching it to imply it's all fans making an assumption.

Lets be honest - the band got a custom channel on the radio dedicated to them, they set a tour date on the exact anniversary of their most famous album's landmark birthday, instead of a regular stadium show they chose to make it in an intimate famous theatre and make tickets prizes etc, they hung up billboards around the city of the theatre in advance saying #afd30, they used that same hashtag all across their social media in the days leading up to the show, then the venue itsself was reportedly decked out in AFD30 posters and logos.....

So if anyone assumed this show had something to do with AFD30 and not just another NITL show....well then really the band have themselves to blame for that.....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting you guys didn't like Axl on jungle. I actually thought the first half of the show was one of his better vocal performances this year - it went to shit in the second half though - stuff like "yesterdays" honestly sounded bad if you're used to older versions of it.

But I thought he opened well with Easy, Brownstone, CD etc

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I don't remember when #AFD30 and #Appetite30 started happening but it seemed pretty close to the show.

It would seem to indicate they'd do something given those hashtags. As in some announcement, picture, something.

But just because the Apollo show was happening close to the date, etc. is purely coincidence.

This was probably their way of recreating The Ritz show in contemporary times while passively avoiding talking about AFD so they can duck the Izzy question and any drama.

Board footer