You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zelfitz
 Rep: 1 

Re: One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

zelfitz wrote:

It's surprising that Adler was involved at all and that Izzy hasn't even made one appearance. I admit, even after the Bullshit Tweet, I thought we would see Izzy at some point.  He played with Snakepit, Duff in Japan, VR, NuGuns. Duff tweeted about how he wanted to make music with Izzy forever in 2015.  Shit must have really hit the fan last year.

One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

Yes 28%
No 72%
Total votes: 25
A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I'd be very keen to know how mid 2014 up to April 2016 panned out behind the scenes.

Very strong, albeit denied, rumours Axl was going to retire after Vegas. Then hints at new material based off the Pitman studio pic. According to Axl spring 15 the reunion started to pick up to steam, meanwhile 'insiders' were claiming CD2 was still the focus. By mid summer Slash confirms he and Axl have patched things up and rumours go in to over drive. On the basis Steven appeared and Izzy suggested he wasn't offered enough cash it would seem an AFD reunion was on the cards at some point. There was even a rumour Sorum was in the fold at some stage.

Some of that's rumour, some confirmed, either way it must have been an interesting 18 months behind the scenes.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
zombux wrote:

nobody except for pure nostalgia freaks want Adler at least remotely around. he's full of shit and he always has been.

I mean, he is a better drummer than Frank... I don't think that is up for debate. So in the studio he would be fine and I think on the road he would be manageable. I bought his Alder album and it was great!

he's not a bad drummer. well at least he was a GREAT drummer. 30 years ago. but as a personality, he's shitty. same as Matt Sorum. both these guys were great drummers in their respective eras, but as a personalities, they are a wasted idiot and a douche. Josh Freese was a monster. Brain was too. sorry, but I don't think it's relevant to ask some 30 years old history to come back. Adler proved himself to be a stupid wasted idiot, so fuck him.

zelfitz
 Rep: 1 

zelfitz wrote:

It seems like the financial contracts were in place for Axl, Slash and Duff in late December 2015- it would have to be written in stone before Coachella was announced.  Pitman freaked out in late February 2016 and less then a week later Izzy created his Twitter account.  So it seems the incidentals- everyone who was not Axl Slash and Duff- were being told what they would receive financially during this time.  My guess is that they were told they would receive basically the same amount that they got for touring in 2006 and 2012.  Frank, Fortus and Dizzy were cool with it,  Izzy and Pitman (heh) were not.  I seriously doubt Izzy ever wanted to do the full tour with them- he was probably referring to the first 4 shows. But what did he want? Did he mean equitable instead of equally and just want to be paid more for guest spots? Or did he want those first 4 shows to be a full on Appetite 5  reunion?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
zelfitz wrote:

It seems like the financial contracts were in place for Axl, Slash and Duff in late December 2015- it would have to be written in stone before Coachella was announced.  Pitman freaked out in late February 2016 and less then a week later Izzy created his Twitter account.  So it seems the incidentals- everyone who was not Axl Slash and Duff- were being told what they would receive financially during this time.  My guess is that they were told they would receive basically the same amount that they got for touring in 2006 and 2012.  Frank, Fortus and Dizzy were cool with it,  Izzy and Pitman (heh) were not.  I seriously doubt Izzy ever wanted to do the full tour with them- he was probably referring to the first 4 shows. But what did he want? Did he mean equitable instead of equally and just want to be paid more for guest spots? Or did he want those first 4 shows to be a full on Appetite 5  reunion?

The rumor was $10,000 per show for Izzy and Steven. The other rumor was 50% Axl, 25% Slash, 25% Duff. This is when Duff supposedly said he isn't coming off his to make sure Izzy is back in or something to that effect and I agree. Axl got the biggest share. If Adler and Izzy aren't full time it is on Axl. If those numbers are correct Slash is severely underpaid. Pre Slash GNR plays to half empty arenas. Slash comes back and now they sell out stadiums and are the biggest hard rock touring act in the world. Axl, Duff, Slash could have all been 25% and then pay out Izzy and Adler from the remaining 25% or something to that effect.

Oh well

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Those percentages are very interesting but even though Slash held some cards, Axl had more leverage to an extent. If Slash doesn't take it, instead of 25% its 0% and the reunion isn't happening. Its not like Axl would be opposed to waiting anyone out.

As much as I wanted Izzy there, not realistic for him to expect a hefty percentage. The other guys do the heavy lifting.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Axl had more leverage to an extent. If Slash doesn't take it,

Exactly.

I agree with SG that without Slash the band would be heading towards theatres by now...but at the same time it's not like Axl isn't the type to cut off his nose to spite his face if anyone demands too much. It was totally realistic to me that he'd just retire after the 2012 band ended.

In a way Slash lost the war when he called for peace in 2004. It just took Axl another 10 years to forgive him.

Imagine if beta had let Slash into the house that night....we'd have had this reunion around the time of Axl's 2006 voice...and when the album came out in 2008 it would have had Slash. Good work #team brazil in preventing that 4

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Axl had more leverage to an extent. If Slash doesn't take it,

Exactly.

I agree with SG that without Slash the band would be heading towards theatres by now...but at the same time it's not like Axl isn't the type to cut off his nose to spite his face if anyone demands too much. It was totally realistic to me that he'd just retire after the 2012 band ended.

In a way Slash lost the war when he called for peace in 2004. It just took Axl another 10 years to forgive him.

Imagine if beta had let Slash into the house that night....we'd have had this reunion around the time of Axl's 2006 voice...and when the album came out in 2008 it would have had Slash. Good work #team brazil in preventing that 4

#BLAMEBETA #BLAMEBRAZIL

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
zombux wrote:

same as Matt Sorum. both these guys were great drummers in their respective eras, but as a personalities, they are a wasted idiot and a douche.

It's beyond me why fans think this about Sorum.

He's too honest is his only problem.

Duff called him negative in the VR doco when he didn't think a bunch of mail order singers were VR worthy. But time showed he was spot on - the band succeeded with Scott due to his STP pedigree.

He had a fight with Axl when Paul Huge was insulting Slash behind his back. He complained that Slash was many times the guitarist Huge was. Once again he was right.

He admitted that he fucked a bunch of hookers in sick and gross ways. Never mind that almost every other celebrity has done the same or worse.

But for these 3 reasons he's endlessly called a dick.

Even though he somehow manages to be friends with some of the top rock stars in the world with Camp Freddy, Kings of Chaos....and all his other bands...hell was has playing with Slash and Duff only like 2 years ago.

For a dick he seems to have a lot of friends and does a lot of charity work.

I'm sick of him being badmouthed. He's one of the greatest rock drummers ever and plays on 3 GNR records, 2 VR records and Snakepit 1.

The guy deserves so much more respect than he gets from GNR fans.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

^ Exactly. And every interview I see with Matt, he seems like a good guy. I never get that he's a dick vibe, from him at all.

And truth be told, he's never played sloppy during his time with Guns or Slash & Duff. And that's what's missing from current Guns.

I wish to hell that Frank would play the KOHD chorus beat properly instead of his weird half time beat he adds in there...

Board footer