You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: New Tour Dates Added

zombux wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I loved Fortus' james bond spot....was the best of all the solo spots to me (well ok slash is always better...)...but I preferred it over Matt/Duff/Robin/Bucket/Bumble /DJ spots in the set....even though I'm a bumble fan.

in my opinion, all 3 guitarists had enjoyable solo spots during the Ashba era, I actually really liked each of them. and that was a huge difference compared to the old times, where I hated those half-hour drum solos followed by another half-hour drum/guitar solos. I purely hated that part of UYI setlists. during Bucket era, yeah, it got a bit better, altough Bucket's solos were rather stunts than solos, Robin's solos were trash and Paul/Fortus had no solos. during 2006/7 era... let me try remembering what solos were they even playing... ehh... nope, I can't remember. only those blues jams snippets maybe, and the special Bumble solos before Christmas 2006 (loved Mr. Grinch!). as much as I adore the 2006 era, the solo spots are completely forgetable for me. and as much as I dislike the Ashba era, I really really loved the solos, how ironical.
during the current era, they took the good from the previous era and keep it, which is good for me, also Wish You Were Here is a special thing for me.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Thanks to Gibbo who linked me this stuff...here's GNR going "I Feel Good" today....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYcdFBlhLtv/

or for those who prefer raspy Axl...when there was hope of a future before the dark times before the empire....here it is in 2006:

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:
zombux wrote:

Fortus was making great solo spots during the Ashba era - remember the James Bond Theme?

Can't say I was a fan.

I enjoyed Robin's spots in 2006, Buckethead's the most in 2002.

I'm not much a fan of the practice unless it's to jam out and experiment with new ideas.

Loved Robin's little intro to SCOM on the 2002 tour – musically interesting and just long enough to not outstay its welcome.

There's an interesting dynamic going on with Fortus and Slash, where the former clearly doesn't want to tread on the latter's toes by taking too many prominent solos (this despite the fact that he clearly has the technical skills to play Bucket's shred licks). So he gets a solo turn on some of the covers (KOHD, Black Hole Sun) where there isn't precedent for the "GN'R lead guitarist" taking the role. He gets to do Bucket's little fills and licks on Chinese Democracy, where it's a "shared main solo" like Nightrain. But there's none of the back-and-forth that there was in the 2000-2014 era; he doesn't get to solo during the Paradise City outro (which feels wrong; it's supposed to be a celebration of the band, give him a few bars to belt out some solo licks ffs).

Fortus doing the Madagascar solo with this incarnation of the band feels kinda right. There's precedent – he played it in 2006. It's not a showboating solo; with the samples and synth and whatnot, it almost feels like the guitar is one part in an orchestral arrangement. It's more modern in style than the emotive Bucket/Robin stuff Slash has taken on from Chinese Democracy (Sorry feels like a Pink Floyd solo; This I Love was always meant to have a big Slash-does-November-Rain solo in there).

Buuut we got a couple more covers instead. Oh well.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Thanks to Gibbo who linked me this stuff...here's GNR going "I Feel Good" today....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYcdFBlhLtv/

Full-screen link here.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fortus to me has the chops to play any of the old Material for sure. He seems to play the Bucket stuff quite well!!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fortus to me has the chops to play any of the old Material for sure. He seems to play the Bucket stuff quite well!!

I really wish they'd given him the outro solo to TWAT.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Problem is nobody is there to see Fortus.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Problem is nobody is there to see Fortus.

nor Bucket stuff, unfortunately. no matter what anyone else does, people are there just to see the Big 3. and what's sad, people would pay insane amounts of money, just to see them poop onstage or whatever else, and they don't really care about setlists, solos etc. just those "old" guys playing the old hits. which is kinda sad.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Why the fuck are GNR playing James Brown. This might be the stupidest thing I've ever see them do of any era.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. That is odd. Are they getting bored?

That tribute to Campbell is actually pretty good though. Feels like a new song....

Board footer