You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

James wrote:

The full story never came out about Cornell/Silver/Cantrell and with that old SG site offline and unlikely to be archived, I doubt you could even find the original sources for it.

yeah Mailman is definitely about wanting to kill a woman(Silver). he tried to always blow it off as being literally about postal rage but I never believed it. he would never admit its about ANY woman anyways....its a really dark song and if admitting its about a relationship, might turn off female fans and would also lead some to believe he is violent with women.

The lyrics are too personal to just be some abstract POV over "going postal".

Good observation about Cleaning My Gun. Crazy how that song just hung in limbo for eons and he'd never do anything with it. It should've been a Soundgarden song. I guess we're lucky he even released it.

I think most of his songs dealing with love/relationships are about Silver. She was a huge part of his life....before and after Soundgarden took off.

I still cant believe that cunt kept his huge guitar collection and he had to fight her for it(through courts) for years.

James

James wrote:

According to The Seattle Times, Chris Cornell's widow, Vicky Cornell, has hired the artist and sculptor Wayne Toth to create a statue of the SOUNDGARDEN frontman to be placed somewhere in Seattle, where the singer was born and nurtured his music career.

"He has already given me a design and the children and I love it," Vicky said of Toth, who created the statue of Johnny Ramone that stands at his grave at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles, where Chris Cornell is buried.

Vicky said that it will take Toth about seven months to create to create the statue, for which Seattle attorney and family friend Mark Johnson is working with the city to find a location.

"He is Seattle's son," she said, "and we will be bringing him home and honoring him, I hope, with all of you, your love and support."

Cornell was pronounced dead on May 18 after being found unresponsive in his Detroit hotel room the previous night. SOUNDGARDEN had played a show earlier that evening.

The 52-year-old had sedatives and an anxiety drug in his system on the night he died by hanging himself. According to a completed toxicology report released by Michigan's Wayne County Medical Examiner, the drugs didn't contribute to the cause of death.

In addition to SOUNDGARDEN, Cornell sang with AUDIOSLAVE and TEMPLE OF THE DOG, while also recording four solo studio albums and one live set on his own.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/chris- … attle.html

James

James wrote:

This is insane. Cameron shared the alternate set list for their final show. Him and Cornell traded off on who would come up with each night's set. Cornell decided to do Detroit's set himself. We all know what that set was.

Here's what it could've(should've) been......

Flower
Outshined
Kickstand
Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Spoonman
By Crooked Steps
Non-State Actor
Mailman
My Wave
Been Away Too Long
The Day I Tried To Live
Black Hole Sun
Zero Chance
Fell On Black Days
All Your Lies
Hunted Down
Drawing Flies
Beyond the Wheel
Rusty Cage
Slaves & Bulldozers
I Can’t Give You Anything
Nothing Compares 2 U

That is fucking amazing. I cant believe they were going to start playing 'Nothing Compares 2 U'.  They really were going to start taking SG in a new direction. Including songs like that was going to get the audience used to more mellow tracks.  It would've also been the first time they performed I Cant Give You Anything(I think). Its an obscure Ramones cover they recorded in 91 during the BBC sessions that made it on to Echo of Miles. Nice touch with Zero Chance...a deep cut from DOTU.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Whats really stranger to me now than ever, is the whole Kurt Cobain thing, and Nirvana's overnight success?  It's just not adding up to me, less so than before, and let me note I'm a huge Nirvana fan. One thing I always felt in hindsight, is that while "Nirvana" came out of nowhere, alternative music had been pushing thru for a while, REM, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Chili Peppers.  But also, on a heavier side even since Guns rock was looking to go more stripped down. The Black Crowes, Tesla etc, gone were the hair days and Aqua Net. Then in 90/91 Faith No More & another band I really can't think of right now The something, had a hit. Their music was grungy but they seemed a bit older, band members sorta looked like Kim Thayil, they were legit band, I think Cobain once even said he hoped he'd just have a minor hit like they did. There's also a soundtrack from 'Pump Up The Volume' which has Soundgaren, Concrete Blonde, The Pixies & more on it.

Anyway, then Jane's Addiction had a breakout hit of 'Been Caught Stealing'. IMHO that's where things started to change and build momentum. RHCP were more well known, and coming out with an album that summer. Metallica, no longer really 'underground' were also coming out with a monster album that summer. And Soundgarden had been building momentum for a long time, opening forr Guns & Metallica at different times I think, they appeared often in rock & guitar magazines early on. My brother had Ultramega & TOTD pretty early on by seeing their name in the mags. AIC was also a seemingly known up & comer. So, the entire year the labels are signing their bands & prepping for the releases, not to be outdone, and it's almost as if Geffen just hustled out their to keep up, and just signed this undrafted free agent out of a small school, because they needed a backup Quarterback or point guard, but didn't really expect much from him. So the fall hits, RHCP hit it with Suck My Kiss but also have Under the Bridge in their back pocket, Metallica come out swinging with Enter Sandman, and IIRC Soundgarden put Outshined out first, which itself did surprisingly well and put SG front & center.

Then slowly Teen Spirit begins it's climb. Why?  I'm not sure anyone who lived thru it can tell you, other than it was the right song, at the right time, for the right people. It just spoke "New" and anti "Everything That Happened Before" (before being music in the 80s). The lyrics did have some form of empathy to alot of alienated and bored youth ('Here we are now, entertain us' 'I feel stupid, and contageous') Words that were never spoken in that way before, so raw & vulnerable. Then it just snowballed, New Years hit, they played SNL, and it was over. Somehow, remarkably, he & that album left the others in the dust in a way. It's a great album, for what it is, but it seems a bit corny looking back a generation held it and Kurt so highly. In some ways, I almost feel bad and a bit to blame. I wonder if something which bothered him was he knew he wasn't the most talented one, or the leader of the Grunge/Alternative movement, and couldn't live with that, as if it were some lie he was living.

I still don't understand how Nirvana exploded. I mean I do understand how the media pushed them down our throats relentessly forcing everyone to like it until it caught on but I but I don't understand how everyone truly gravitated to it.  As you pointed out, there was so much going on musically in 90-92.  You could feel something coming before it came. The whole culture was shifting as the 80s wound down.

Teen Spirit....while catchy....wasn't truly worthy of its gen x anthem status. It just wasn't. Hell I'd say lyrically speaking Come As You Are would be the song from that album that could 'speak' to our generation.

By In Utero it was obvious the crash and burn was coming soon. His death the only thing that prevented that. It made him immortal and cemented a romanticizing of his music.

In the media's defense, they had to pick a horse and ride it.

AIC- We Die Young
Soundgarden- Outshined
Nirvana- Teen Spirit

Those first two songs are just a tad too heavy to push as a universal anthem for an entire generation to rally around. It also boiled down to timing. Not only had hair metal become a complete joke, MTV/radio was at a fork in the road. Grunge almost doesn't happen. The mainstreaming of speed metal was on the verge of blowing up. MTV and radio was pushing them hard and the main bands Slayer, megadeth, and Anthrax had just released their best albums within a couple months of each other that had songs that weren't noise pollution to average music lovers and even bands like Death Angel and Sepultura were getting exposure. In later years people joke about those bands shows being sausage factory conventions.....in 90-91 you were neck deep in pussy at these shows.

It was connecting with a large audience.

Then the biggest band from that genre releases an album that is about to be supermassive......Metallica. This should've taken that whole genre to new heights. It didn't. Just when MTV could've gave the genre an even bigger push, they change horses....here comes Man in the Box, Outshined, Teen Spirit, Alive, etc. They run with it.

Speed metal gets erased from their rotation and it never recovers or comes close to the mainstream acceptance it was getting in 90-91.

In May 91, AIC is opening for Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth. Had you told those three bands that in less than a year AIC would eclipse all three of them, they'd have died laughing.

Can never underrate the fact that they were all from one city playing a huge role in pushing grunge. It made it even easier to promote the whole Seattle thing.

A byproduct of grunge was it showed the media how easy it is to fabricate a movement. We saw this with hip hop a few years later. How they convinced a million white boys in the suburbs it would be cool to listen to songs talking about niggers, bitches, and Compton while wearing their pants down to their ankles and a bunch of girls finding this attractive will never cease to amaze me.

There are a lot of things in pop culture that don't make sense. GN'R success is one of them as well, which is pretty fucking funny considering they became the supposed "corporate band" that Kurt was standing up against...even though he signed to the same corporate label. Hypocritical son of a bitch, haha.

Anyway, you look at GN'R recording Appetite in 1987 and there is no way in hell anyone could predict what would follow. The dirty nature of the band and the gritty style of the music compared to everything else in mainstream rock at the time would make one expect them to be a cult band and nothing else. I am still amazed GN'R became so monstrously popular looking at stuff like Def Leppard and Bon Jovi ruling the charts around that time. But for whatever reason the whole world jumped on the GN'R bandwagon.

James

James wrote:

It truly was lightning in a bottle. The timing was perfect. Release it in 86 or 88 and it probably doesn't catch on...not to that extent anyways. That second wind it got was just insane. They caught on quick....but just as it might be about to die down a bit and come back to earth...BAM....everyone is listening to it and everywhere you look is a sea of GNR shirts and every other car going down the road is blaring SCOM. I'm not even sure anyone really knows the exact moment it happened. I mean yeah...SCOM....but they were already popular when that took off. Hell, the drive in was a traffic jam getting in to watch The Dead Pool(with Colors). You're already popular when the new Dirty Harry movie is known more for you being in it rather than Clint Eastwood.

I would also say the toned down glam image for SCOM and photos helped push them to the stratosphere. Also the fact they were a machine constantly spewing controversy certainly helped.

It also has a perfect track list. Remove a couple deep cuts and replace them with Shadow of Your Love and maybe Crash Diet and it has a negative impact on everything.

Adults could enjoy it as GNR reminded them of a 70s band... kids are blown away by many of the aspects of the band, especially those lyrics. Nothing on pop culture's radar at the time sounded like that or were saying those things.

I still say it was bat shit crazy to release Lies in 88. Yeah I was happy as a pig in shit when buying it but it wasn't necessary at all. AFD showed no signs of slowing down. After Lies came out, AFD pulled ahead of it on the chart. That is crazy. In late 88-mid 89, the GNR video in heavy rotation was PC...not Patience.

Hardcores may have been starved for new material but so what....it had only been a year. Milk AFD of its singles. Nightrain and Think About You need videos and Rocket Queen could've been a radio single.

Having said that, I do realize we're lucky that Lies came out when it did. No one knew at the time that the wheels were already coming off and the band would never actually record as a 'normal' band again. By the time 89 rolled around, there's already signs of trouble.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think they just released that Cornell's cause of death was from consuming fentanol...presumably accidental

Heard part of it on the radio

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Whats really stranger to me now than ever, is the whole Kurt Cobain thing, and Nirvana's overnight success?  It's just not adding up to me, less so than before, and let me note I'm a huge Nirvana fan. One thing I always felt in hindsight, is that while "Nirvana" came out of nowhere, alternative music had been pushing thru for a while, REM, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Chili Peppers.  But also, on a heavier side even since Guns rock was looking to go more stripped down. The Black Crowes, Tesla etc, gone were the hair days and Aqua Net. Then in 90/91 Faith No More & another band I really can't think of right now The something, had a hit. Their music was grungy but they seemed a bit older, band members sorta looked like Kim Thayil, they were legit band, I think Cobain once even said he hoped he'd just have a minor hit like they did. There's also a soundtrack from 'Pump Up The Volume' which has Soundgaren, Concrete Blonde, The Pixies & more on it.

Anyway, then Jane's Addiction had a breakout hit of 'Been Caught Stealing'. IMHO that's where things started to change and build momentum. RHCP were more well known, and coming out with an album that summer. Metallica, no longer really 'underground' were also coming out with a monster album that summer. And Soundgarden had been building momentum for a long time, opening forr Guns & Metallica at different times I think, they appeared often in rock & guitar magazines early on. My brother had Ultramega & TOTD pretty early on by seeing their name in the mags. AIC was also a seemingly known up & comer. So, the entire year the labels are signing their bands & prepping for the releases, not to be outdone, and it's almost as if Geffen just hustled out their to keep up, and just signed this undrafted free agent out of a small school, because they needed a backup Quarterback or point guard, but didn't really expect much from him. So the fall hits, RHCP hit it with Suck My Kiss but also have Under the Bridge in their back pocket, Metallica come out swinging with Enter Sandman, and IIRC Soundgarden put Outshined out first, which itself did surprisingly well and put SG front & center.

Then slowly Teen Spirit begins it's climb. Why?  I'm not sure anyone who lived thru it can tell you, other than it was the right song, at the right time, for the right people. It just spoke "New" and anti "Everything That Happened Before" (before being music in the 80s). The lyrics did have some form of empathy to alot of alienated and bored youth ('Here we are now, entertain us' 'I feel stupid, and contageous') Words that were never spoken in that way before, so raw & vulnerable. Then it just snowballed, New Years hit, they played SNL, and it was over. Somehow, remarkably, he & that album left the others in the dust in a way. It's a great album, for what it is, but it seems a bit corny looking back a generation held it and Kurt so highly. In some ways, I almost feel bad and a bit to blame. I wonder if something which bothered him was he knew he wasn't the most talented one, or the leader of the Grunge/Alternative movement, and couldn't live with that, as if it were some lie he was living.

I still don't understand how Nirvana exploded. I mean I do understand how the media pushed them down our throats relentessly forcing everyone to like it until it caught on but I but I don't understand how everyone truly gravitated to it.  As you pointed out, there was so much going on musically in 90-92.  You could feel something coming before it came. The whole culture was shifting as the 80s wound down.

Teen Spirit....while catchy....wasn't truly worthy of its gen x anthem status. It just wasn't. Hell I'd say lyrically speaking Come As You Are would be the song from that album that could 'speak' to our generation.

By In Utero it was obvious the crash and burn was coming soon. His death the only thing that prevented that. It made him immortal and cemented a romanticizing of his music.

AIC- We Die Young
Soundgarden- Outshined
Nirvana- Teen Spirit

Those first two songs are just a tad too heavy to push as a universal anthem for an entire generation to rally around. It also boiled down to timing. Not only had hair metal become a complete joke, MTV/radio was at a fork in the road. Grunge almost doesn't happen. The mainstreaming of speed metal was on the verge of blowing up. MTV and radio was pushing them hard and the main bands Slayer, megadeth, and Anthrax had just released their best albums within a couple months of each other that had songs that weren't noise pollution to average music lovers and even bands like Death Angel and Sepultura were getting exposure. In later years people joke about those bands shows being sausage factory conventions.....in 90-91 you were neck deep in pussy at these shows.

Then the biggest band from that genre releases an album that is about to be supermassive......Metallica. This should've taken that whole genre to new heights. It didn't. Just when MTV could've gave the genre an even bigger push, they change horses....here comes Man in the Box, Outshined, Teen Spirit, Alive, etc. They run with it.

Speed metal gets erased from their rotation and it never recovers or comes close to the mainstream acceptance it was getting in 90-91.

In May 91, AIC is opening for Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth. Had you told those three bands that in less than a year AIC would eclipse all three of them, they'd have died laughing.

Can never underrate the fact that they were all from one city playing a huge role in pushing grunge. It made it even easier to promote the whole Seattle thing.

A byproduct of grunge was it showed the media how easy it is to fabricate a movement. We saw this with hip hop a few years later. How they convinced a million white boys in the suburbs it would be cool to listen to songs talking about niggers, bitches, and Compton while wearing their pants down to their ankles and a bunch of girls finding this attractive will never cease to amaze me.

Just saw these posts about surprise at Nirvana’s success. James you mentioned We Die Young, Outshined, and Teen Spirit. Know why people gravitated to Teen Spirit?

The video. Plain and simple. Just a relatable video about high school malaise at the peak of MTV’s relevance.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

AIC- We Die Young
Soundgarden- Outshined
Nirvana- Teen Spirit

Just saw these posts about surprise at Nirvana’s success. James you mentioned We Die Young, Outshined, and Teen Spirit. Know why people gravitated to Teen Spirit?

The video. Plain and simple. Just a relatable video about high school malaise at the peak of MTV’s relevance.

Yea I think I agree with this...even to this day I think most kids know about that video. MTV celebrates its history so much and that video was a big part of it.

Another thing that I"ll add...Kurt killing himself like he did/how he did made people cling to him even more. It put him into legendary status with a resume of just a few years.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I think they just released that Cornell's cause of death was from consuming fentanol...presumably accidental

You may be confusing him with Tom Petty, they just released that info.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:

You may be confusing him with Tom Petty, they just released that info.

I think so.

FlashFlood wrote:

Know why people gravitated to Teen Spirit?

You know, I had this exact same thought one night while seeing the video. Gosh, I can't remember if it was on YT or way back when I had cable & MTV was still playing videos. Anyway I do think it helped the connection. TBH the song structure (pop yet punkish) was a relief. As mentioned previously, the momentum was gravitating towards this. Soundgarden, The Smithereens, RHCP. I view it as people trying their hardest to break a door down, and Kurt just was timed to get that final push.

Board footer