You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Ban whatever you want; absolutely nothing changes. If all guns were made illegal today, it would be decades before any noticeable decrease in availability happened. And we know that will and can never happen.  Bad guys will ALWAYS have access to guns.  All you can control is the few that would turn their's in.

Why has Australia's mass shootings dropped dramatically?? Can we not admit we have a fucking problem??? Jesus Christ, 600 people just got shot and you guys say nothing can be done.

Pistols ok
Shotguns ok
Hunting rifle ok
AR 15 with 100 round mag and a bump stock is NOT OKAY

can we at least admit this simple shit?

What's the point? The guy that wants to kill people is still going to get whatever you make illegal. You have to take a realistic approach to life, not a fairy tale one.

Oh back to the "let's do nothing so let's make it real easy for him just to mow down people or else he would have to use a semi auto or a knife or something that wouldn't kill as many"

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Why has Australia's mass shootings dropped dramatically?? Can we not admit we have a fucking problem??? Jesus Christ, 600 people just got shot and you guys say nothing can be done.

Pistols ok
Shotguns ok
Hunting rifle ok

What's the point? The guy that wants to kill people is still going to get whatever you make illegal. You have to take a realistic approach to life, not a fairy tale one.

Oh back to the "let's do nothing so let's make it real easy for him just to mow down people or else he would have to use a semi auto or a knife or something that wouldn't kill as many"

He had explosives that could have killed more.  Please let's operate in reality.  People were going to die. A lot of them. Nothing would have changed that.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Why not make tanks and RPG's legal then as well? Why not bring full Auto since you don't mind have the bumpstock which makes a gun full auto. How the fuck did you vote for Clinton with these NRA beliefs?

Tanks are legal.  Can you point to me the last time a full auto weapon was used in a crime?  You're being emotional and nothing you're proposing is based on facts or statistics. 

Here's an article from a statistician from 538, this forums's favorite poll, in the Washington Post.  You should read what he has to say:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ … story.html

A full auto was used in Vegas. What do you think the bumpstock does??  MAKES THE SEMIAUTO FULL AUTO. Now you can tell me semantics if you like now the mechanisms aren't exactly the same but who gives a fuck. He got the same effect. I am not emotional, I am being RATIONAL. There is no need for anyone to have a bumpstock on an AR15 with a 100 round clip. That shit also will not stop the govt either lol. If they want your gun the AR 15 isn't gonna stop a cruis missile. Lol. We have whackos ruining a good thing.

Again, if you're going to make wild accusations, please at least use the correct legal terminology, especially if you want to make legal recommendations.  Those weren't full auto weapons, which is why bumpstocks are legal.  I agree, functionally they're similar, but it's a legal distinction which is my entire point.  The industry will circumvent the laws because politicians like Schumer and Feinstein know dick about guns and reality.  A sad group you find yourself in the company with.

So I'll ask again, when was a full auto weapon used prior to this?  Unless you think an incredible rarity is worth legislating from.  In which case, why have you not been upset at the other 10,541 deaths to firearm homicides in the past year?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

He had explosives that could have killed more.  Please let's operate in reality.  People were going to die. A lot of them. Nothing would have changed that.

Yet, he chose the gun. Interesting.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Tanks are legal.  Can you point to me the last time a full auto weapon was used in a crime?  You're being emotional and nothing you're proposing is based on facts or statistics. 

Here's an article from a statistician from 538, this forums's favorite poll, in the Washington Post.  You should read what he has to say:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ … story.html

A full auto was used in Vegas. What do you think the bumpstock does??  MAKES THE SEMIAUTO FULL AUTO. Now you can tell me semantics if you like now the mechanisms aren't exactly the same but who gives a fuck. He got the same effect. I am not emotional, I am being RATIONAL. There is no need for anyone to have a bumpstock on an AR15 with a 100 round clip. That shit also will not stop the govt either lol. If they want your gun the AR 15 isn't gonna stop a cruis missile. Lol. We have whackos ruining a good thing.

Again, if you're going to make wild accusations, please at least use the correct legal terminology, especially if you want to make legal recommendations.  Those weren't full auto weapons, which is why bumpstocks are legal.  I agree, functionally they're similar, but it's a legal distinction which is my entire point.  The industry will circumvent the laws because politicians like Schumer and Feinstein know dick about guns and reality.  A sad group you find yourself in the company with.

So I'll ask again, when was a full auto weapon used prior to this?  Unless you think an incredible rarity is worth legislating from.  In which case, why have you not been upset at the other 10,541 deaths to firearm homicides in the past year?

Fuck your distinction. Haha it has the same fucking effect. Do you not agree the bumpstock and ANY DEVICE THAT MAKES A SEMI AUTO AND AUTO SHOULD BE BANNED???

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

This is the problem. Misinformation. This is exactly what the video I posted talked about. Obama didn’t do anything. His EO applied to people on government disability for mental defects that needed a 3rd party to manage their affairs.

Pure semantics as always.

Randall Flagg wrote:

Again, if you're going to make wild accusations, please at least use the correct legal terminology, especially if you want to make legal recommendations.  Those weren't full auto weapons, which is why bumpstocks are legal.  I agree, functionally they're similar, but it's a legal distinction which is my entire point.

More semantics.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Pistols ok
Shotguns ok
Hunting rifle ok

It's been shown over and over again. More guns = more deaths by guns. Less guns = less death by guns.

600 people shot and "nothing we can do about it." Give me a break.

You're right. Australia absolutely did it.

There is a very graphic video of the shooting on Live Leak. I read about it last night, and that was enough. I am not interested in watching something like that. However I believe all our Senators and Americans who think nothing can be done, SHOULD watch it. Watch something like that, the carnage, then come back and tell us there is no solution and this is the status quo.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yet, he chose the gun. Interesting.

Maybe he flipped a coin or played red/black on roulette to decide. Who cares?  End result is the same.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Pistols ok
Shotguns ok
Hunting rifle ok

It's been shown over and over again. More guns = more deaths by guns. Less guns = less death by guns.

600 people shot and "nothing we can do about it." Give me a break.

You're right. Australia absolutely did it.

You're comparing apples and oranges but that's not surprising.  We can't even stop people from coming into this country but you think a gun ban will stop bad guys from getting whatever they want?  Very naive.

Still waiting for your solution btw...

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Guns aren't going anywhere, period. I don't see any reason anyone really needs anything more than a handgun or simple rifle, but to each their own. I don't see why a person should be allowed to own 20+ guns, but that won't end.

And whoever said it earlier was right: It's not just right wing nuts with guns. There was a gun in our house, just a 22 pistol (not sure the type), and my parents were pretty damn liberal. My neighbor who is full-on for pot legalization and wouldn't piss on Trump if he were on fire has a 22 rifle (again, don't know the type; I've actually never seen it because he's a responsible gun owner.)

Australia took in their guns during a mandatory buyback program. We could do voluntary programs here, but the folks with the guns who shouldn't have them aren't going to turn 'em in.

I don't think there's a good answer to the problem--or any answer.

Should devices that skirt the law and make semi-auto guns full auto be banned? Probably. Will it happen? Probably not.

I'm weird in that I don't really get all worked up about guns. The cat's out of the bag and there's no way to go back. Solving the problems that make people want to kill others is the only way to prevent Las Vegas-type violence: whether it's focusing on mental health treatment or trying to invest in communities where guns are rampant.

Buyback programs with no questions asked probably should be in place at all times. People probably shouldn't be allowed to have small arsenals like the Vegas shooter. Stricter background checks, waiting periods, required gun licenses in all cases--all stuff we've heard before but has never been done.

How about insurance for gun owners? We need it for a car, why not a gun?

These aren't revolutionary ideas, but they've never been done because the NRA has too many politicians in their pocket and the GOP is too scared to piss off their base and even some Dems are too scared they'll be targeted if they agree to any restrictions.

Board footer