You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Hated Sympathy for the Devil, ugggh.  Janes Addiction had already covered it, and made it their own re-interpretation (surfer/beach vibe). When I heard the Axl version in 96 I laughed it off & never wanted to listen again.

It sticks out like a sore thumb in the discography.

Axl didn't even want to do it initially...other than a Sorum interview on radio, wasn't really promoted...it got very little airplay/attention....yet there's stacks of them at every store as if its the hottest single of 1994.

Nobody cared.

I'd love to know what its sales were and how many copies got returned.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Hated Sympathy for the Devil, ugggh.  Janes Addiction had already covered it, and made it their own re-interpretation (surfer/beach vibe). When I heard the Axl version in 96 I laughed it off & never wanted to listen again.

I'd love to know what its sales were and how many copies got returned.

Thought you might be talking about Chinese Democracy and Best Buy for a second. Lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

On that subject, I doubt ANY were sent back. They were Best Buy's copies...come hell or high water. Once Best Buy couldn't unload them and realized they were never going to, this is when dollar stores nationwide suddenly got an influx of copies of CD.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Sorum was a hell of a drummer though, SFTD came on the other day and I found my self tuned in to the drumming. The drums on that outro are killer.

Yeah I love it! Some great axl scream tone in the second half too.

When Sorum was new I didn't really think much of him but over the years I've really come to appreciate the drumming on UYI, Snakepit and the VR records. He's great at that hard rock sound.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The 2002 version was boring. Completely sucked the life out of the cool anthemic rock track they released in 1991.

Nowadays it’s a weird hybrid of the 2002 version and 1991 version, and Frank keeps fucking up the timing of the chorus with his “knock, knock, Knockin on heavens (thump thump) door” drum bit, and it’s annoying as hell

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

The 2002 version was boring. Completely sucked the life out of the cool anthemic rock track they released in 1991.

i liked the groovy, relaxed take on it.

mostly because bucket played a great solo each night. his rio version is especially nice!

axl's vocals were the weak link back then, go figure.

today, i have no idea what's going on with this song. it's like accidentally listening to a record at the wrong speed.

frank needs a xanax before getting on stage.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Guns` version of SFTD is a much better cover than Jane`s Addiction`s.

Perry Farrell sang like a constipated goat. It`s dreadful.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

GNR's Knockin is a complete embarrassment. Turning a soulful meditative song into an anthem of mindless stupidity.

2002 is superior for the obvious reasons. Bucket's playing another.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno the "Aye Aye Aye yeah" revolutionised the whole song if you ask me....and Slash's second solo was just magical back in the UYI era.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

You make it sound like that just because they made it anthemic, that they didn’t make it their own?

The Bob Dylan version never did anything for me, but Guns N Roses made it entirely their own. Axl’s killer vocal delivery and Slash’s killer lead guitar melodies.

In 2002 they turned it back into a Dylan snooze fest

Board footer