You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: If "Chinese Democracy" Was A Slash Thing...?

AtariLegend wrote:

Would any record label have given Slash around $15 Million & till 2007+ to make an album, had he not done so since '91....?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Would any record label have given Slash around $15 Million & till 2007+ to make an album, had he not done so since '91....?

No. While Slash may be an icon, he doesn't have the same aura as Axl.

Axl is the only person who would get such treatment from labels, which is amazing considering his small resume and few active years.

It really shows the impact GNR had.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

No. While Slash may be an icon, he doesn't have the same aura as Axl.

And he was the singer...

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Slash wouldn't have taken so long to perfect things.  He's never been known as a perfectionist in his playing.  His sloppiness is one of the things that puts him up there with Page and Hendrix (other sloppy guitar heroes).  If this was a Slash project, it would be a rock and roll album with kicking guitar licks and subpar lyrics.  No one would expect him to release an album full of deep, meaningful masterpieces.  It would just be a rock album.  He wouldn't be given a chance to take 15 years and millions of dollars to make things work.

Sky Dog wrote:

dude, Slash is no where near Hendrix...in ANY aspect. Just sayin'....fans need to draw the line somewhere.:cool:

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
madagas wrote:

dude, Slash is no where near Hendrix...in ANY aspect. Just sayin'....fans need to draw the line somewhere.:cool:

In my opinion, Hendrix was way overrated and there are a number of guitarists out there who were way better than him (Take SRV for example... played Hendrix songs 100x better than Hendrix himself).  But that's not the topic here.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Lay off him. I have no problem mentioning Slash with Hendrix. ESPECIALLY since he was comparing him in terms of sloppiness. If anything, I'd say Page & Hendrix were sloppier than Slash. I'm sure part of it was the times they played & improvement on production quality & the recording processes, but still it's a fair analogy. No "line" was crossed.

As to the question, I don't think so, mainly because who would be the singer?? Unless he had been working with a top notch singer like Layne Staley or Anthony Kiedis on this project or something, no label would have given him very much of an advance.

Sky Dog wrote:

only on a Gnr board. Hendrix is to guitar what Dylan was to lyrics...his songwriting, skill, originality, rock star prowess...NOBODY in the industry or any musician would even bring them up in the same sentence. Get pissed all you want, it is a silly comparison. It is like saying Axl is better than Dylan or Lennon. NUTS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_k00iqN … ed&search=

as for the topic, Slash had a top shelf singer with Weiland...so no, nobody would have ever given him the money because he didn't have the name. However, the Axl situation is tricky in that the money was given to him over a long period and the original band members slowly left the project. The brand name was so popular that the execs figured the investment would pay off either way as long as the singer was still there and the music was presentable. Little did they know...:D

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If Slash owned the name, I think he would have gotten the same deal (not that it ever would have gotten to this point).  They didn't make their investment in Axl and wouldn't have if he was working on a solo project.  That is why Axl got the name - he knew that he had nothing without it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer