You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Are you just ignoring posts or being an ass?

I clearly said dudes with a past involving domestic abuse should be red-flagged for a gun purchase.

I clearly said I'd like money to be earmarked for mental health services.

I clearly did not propose anything that would infringe on 2A?

Don't paint with the broad brush "you're all being irrational."

Domestic violence bans you from owning a firearm.  That's already the law.  You're proving my point, you have an opinion but it's not informed.  Don't call me an ass because you spent 30 minutes reading about the issue and think you have some new insight.  Look up the Lautenberg amendment.

We’re not enforcing that at the misdemeanor or felony level effectively. After the fact it is revealed these dudes often are abusers. Or else gun dealers are ignoring this.

Gun dealers can't ignore it.  If the states report the restraining order or conviction, it's in the NICS database and they are denied.  Accusations and rumors don't count.  Due process is still a thing in this country.  The only misstep I'm aware of recently is the the guy who shot up the church in Texas.  The military failed to report their convictions into the system.  It's only as good as the states and entities make it.  There's still a big resistance to notify the feds when someone is committed for mental health because the left doesn't want to victimize the mentally ill.  Yet notice how Cruz's lawyers are saying he was mentally ill and his mental illness is to blame.

And to cut off the first person trying to blame Trump, yes I agree rescinding Obama's mental illness restriction was stupid.  But it only applied to people who are on social security disability for a mental illness and have been declare incapable of managing their finances.  It wouldn't have impacted any of these yahoos as they weren't on disability.

How many gang bangers in your city has the state or city cut loose when they were caught with an illegal firearm?  How many people in illinois failed a background check, lying on their form, but the city or state decided not to go after them?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump could make an executive order right now putting a hold on sales of certain guns until we “figure out what the hell is going on” like he did with the “Muslim ban”. Lol.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Republicans already blaming movies and video games and saying something needs to be done about those first. roll

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

Republicans already blaming movies and video games and saying something needs to be done about those first. roll

I never understood that argument. I’ve never heard of kids watching roadrunner and coyote and sticking 5 sticks of TNT under their sisters bed.

Though I did wind my arm up 100 times like bugs bunny to throw a ball when I played pinto ball at age 7.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Hmmm so guns don’t kill people but movies and video games do?

I do agree some of these video games may not “help”.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Some interesting stats. There are over 5 million AR15's owned in the US.

Out of all murders committed (49% of all homicides are committed by handguns) rifles are used even less than body parts, blunt instruments or knives to commit murder. Those include .22 rifles, not just AR15.

Knives……….1,704

Hands and feet….817

Blunt trauma……540

Shotguns……….373

Rifles…………358

Over 8,000 gun deaths, 350 were rifles, even less for AR15's.

*These are 2011 numbers. Here's a pretty comprehensive site: http://knowledgeglue.com/just-how-many- … out-there/

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders. Pretending this is more than an extreme outlier isn’t beneficial.

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders..... of which the U.S. comes 2nd with the highest rates of violent gun deaths in North Africa and The Middle East. With a population of roughly 5% of the worlds population the U.S. holds 32% of global mass shootings.

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective.

Ah yes indeed, perspective.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

Out of all murders committed (49% of all homicides are committed by handguns) rifles are used even less than body parts, blunt instruments or sharp objects to commit murder. Those include .22 rifles, not just AR15.

Knives……….1,704

Hands and feet….817

Blunt trauma……540

Shotguns……….373

Rifles…………358

*These are 2011 numbers. Here's a pretty comprehensive site: http://knowledgeglue.com/just-how-many- … out-there/

Bingo

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Out of all murders committed (49% of all homicides are committed by handguns) rifles are used even less than body parts, blunt instruments or knives to commit murder. Those include .22 rifles, not just AR15.

Knives……….1,704

Hands and feet….817

Blunt trauma……540

Shotguns……….373

Rifles…………358

Yes but hands and feet and shit can’t create the mass carnage of the AR15. These numbers are 7 years old. Doesn’t account for Vegas, Pulse, Texas, this school, Sandy Hook, Dallas, etc.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Knives……….1,704

Hands and feet….817

Blunt trauma……540

Shotguns……….373

Rifles…………358

Yes but hands and feet and shit can’t create the mass carnage of the AR15. These numbers are 7 years old. Doesn’t account for Vegas, Pulse, Texas, this school, Sandy Hook, Dallas, etc.

But they kill more people...

Look at that site. Deaths are dropping every year by AR15's.

Board footer