You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

monkeychow wrote:

I hear you guys but to me it's like "better late than never".

Like sure, it's wacky that it's happening a year late, but at least i'm finally getting the remasters i've long wanted, and a few little bonus snippets too. I agree the price structure is insane, but at least there's options.

I dunno compared to the normal policy of acting like the business, media, public and labels hate them, compared to their usual approach of giving us the absolute bare minimum if anything at all, i'm kinda glad this is happening. There's room for improvement sure. But i'll be glad to have these CDs, and I'm hopeful it means they do something about UYI in the future too. I get the frustration...but to me this is less frustrating than nothing at all which is what i'm used to getting hahahah

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Wag-zilla & most of the rest of you are deluding yourselves when he says it’s being handled “semi-tastefully”, or maybe your tastes are more palatable to this shit than me. It’s a half assed cash grab.

My point was it could be a lot worse.

Nirvana released a $129 box set in 2004 and didn't put out a $20 2CD until 2005. I've seen big movies wait years to put out director's cuts, bonus editions, or box sets in hopes of fans double or triple dipping. Video game companies rarely if ever launch the PC version alongside consoles. This is tame in comparison.

It's a money grab. Just like the money grab tour, money grab fashion event, and money grab merch factory.

I wanted CDII. I never wanted a reunion because I knew it'd be what it is.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Seriously though, i just can't see what they use to market it.

I guess if it had a shit ton of new videos attached, or some brand new songs, and I suspose they could give us the others without the fake audience....but overall....they just released 7/8 of the album as a bonus for this set.....so I think that's it for the AFD5 collection....it would be a much safer bet to make amazing UYI box sets - where there's lots to be done - or release one of the docos or the tons of proshot videos they're hoarding....

It wouldn't require a ton of marketing. It also wouldn't be a box set. Just a SE/anniversary. It also allows them to officially move on from One In A Million. This exclusion could be mentioned in any promo.

they just released 7/8 of the album as a bonus for this set

Yet there's no mention of this anywhere in the promo. Until they say Lies is already on here and we're done with it....I expect some type of release in the future. There's no point intentionally ignoring one of the few albums in their discography just because hardcore fans acknowledge its tracks on the AFD set.

Thank God Soundgarden never took this advice. Never would've got Echo of Miles since it contained some Superunknown tracks already covered in its re-release. A couple tracks from Telephantasm wound up on these sets as well.

Ultramega OK was re-released without One Minute of Silence. Probably as a way to avoid giving Yoko Ono royalties for nothing but it does show that these bands are willing to exclude something from present and future releases.

t would be a much safer bet to make amazing UYI box sets - where there's lots to be done

That goes without saying...but what does one have to do with the other? I don't see why it would be impossible to unload a new Lies disc while also compiling a UYI set down the road.

The issue with Lies may get handled in a general re-release of all the official albums in a box set.

James

James wrote:
johndivney wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Tbh it’s more effort than I was expecting, but it is still far less than what AFD & GnR deserve.

Far less? What more could they possibly do with AFD? Other than the pricing, its essentially best case scenario.

Where’s Izzy?
Where’s Steven?

They're on every single track contained in the box set and also look to be on every single piece of merch as well.

Who, other than GnR release a remaster/reissue on the 31st anniversary?

What does this have to do with the actual box set?

Obviously it wasn't perfect timing and judging by the #AFD30 thing last year it was probably supposed to happen then. There was probably some hurdles to jump over with the label. It doesn't take away from the actual box set. Had it happened one year ago or five years ago, I doubt the box set would've been any different.

Who else is so mismanaged and incapable they miss the 25th/30th anniversary? It’s another embarrassing moment but apt to the mishandling of the legacy.

So you wanted this on the 25th anniversary? I have a feeling we'd see a ton of complaints by having it released in the CD era.

Wag-zilla & most of the rest of you are deluding yourselves when he says it’s being handled “semi-tastefully”, or maybe your tastes are more palatable to this shit than me.

I'm not "deluding myself" being excited for a box set that has always been warranted. Fans have wanted something like this for decades. Now its here and some people still aren't happy.

It’s a half assed cash grab.

There is nothing half assed about this release.

Here's a half assed AFD release...

the album

couple bonus tracks tacked on to AFD

a candle or belt buckle

They went all out with this. Liquidating the AFD vault. What more could a fan ask for? Anything a hardcore fan would consider missing(YCBM) is more than likely being saved for the UYI set a few years down the road.

Greed has been the big guys sole motivation for... forever? Only he hasn’t known or been able to fully exploit that, & that is one of the main reasons he’s so interesting. I’m not judging him or blaming him but let’s not kid ourselves here, we’ve done enough of that the past 20+ years.

If greed is the sole motivator, they didn't have to do any of this. Axl, Slash, and Duff will make more from a couple shows than they will selling all these box sets. Do a couple more shows and they'll make more than they will selling the special editions.

We've been waiting for them to tackle the vault like other major rock bands.

Now they're doing it.

James

James wrote:
Furbush wrote:

Maybe if I hadn't already spent at least that much money before the internet was a thing buying/replacing Appetite on vinyl, cassette and compact disc...

In the 90s I spent at least a few thousand on all those imports/bootlegs. Hell, a single disc was between 35-50 bucks and the 2 disc sets were between 50-100. I had a bunch of them.

Most of them weren't very good quality either. Fans needed a Live Era set to satisfy them so we couldn't go digging for bootlegs.

What I want is a Year And A Half style  making of UYI doc.

HOpefully they recorded a bunch of stuff during that period. We know about Perfect Crime but its unknown how much was recorded behind the scenes.

I want the UYI demos with Adler.

We're likely to get these in a UYI box set. Other than the remasters, the Adler demos will probably be the first disc.

What I want is a Live Era Box. With DVDs/CDs of full shows from '85-93

Absolutely. We know they have a ton of audio/video from that period to work with and Live Era does not do the band justice.

I want TSI with Izzy.

We could get this in a UYI set or as a bonus disc to any TSI set.

I want the Nu-GNR AFD.

I don't think we're ever going to get this.

I want 2000 Intentions.
Give me all the songs/demos recorded between 1994 and 2008.

A Chinese Democracy set would be very interesting to say the least.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Yet there's no mention of this anywhere in the promo. Until they say Lies is already on here and we're done with it....I expect some type of release in the future. There's no point intentionally ignoring one of the few albums in their discography just because hardcore fans acknowledge its tracks on the AFD set.

The second disc was called "B-SIDES N’ EPS" - which I assumed was a reference to Lies and Live Like a Suicide...but maybe not.

I'm NOT saying they shouldn't do it.

Cash wise the more they release the better and that's for us fans too.

I'm just questioning if they if there's enough content to pull it off is my issue.

There's not much in the way of lost GNR demos from this era. Like some of it is fun but silly like Cornshucker, and a lot of it is just covers, or I guess stuff like Crash Diet that was then sent off.

To me that's why they made such a huge deal of Shadow of your love - it's pretty much the only real (mostly) unused single they had from back in the day that hasn't already been heavily used.

You can see the lack of extra stuff in this AFD set too - it's not filled with hundreds of B sides and unused songs cos they don't exist....it's mostly multiple takes of the AFD tracks, then shadow of your love, a couple of songs that ended up on UYI that were recorded in this time frame...then they've padded it out by adding all of Lies and LLAS except for the non-pc and mostly disavowed OIAM.

So once you've used lies to fill out your AFD box cos there wasn't much AFD content it becomes harder to create a Lies box. I guess they could if there's a shit ton of other lies takes and other acoustic demos or something. If there is I hope they do.

I was just saying I wouldn't be shocked if they treated this AFD box as the collection of ALL the original AFD5 line up work...and then moved on to special editions of UYI (or maybe one day CD) next.

But i'd love to be wrong, the more they give us from the vault the better to me. I'm really pleased with this set.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

I want the Nu-GNR AFD.

I don't think we're ever going to get this.

To be fair it doesn't make much sense with Slash and Duff back.

What might be interesting is the Axl vocals from that version with re-recorded instrumentals from the current Slash band.

Not much point...but I could see them doing it once they have their own label (after this record deal ends) just to screw with geffen or something. hahaha.

Overall i'm torn. I want to hear it for curiosity. But really - messing with AFD is sacrilege. One thing to remaster it to make it sound more modern - another to try and re-do history by performing it with over again.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Hopefully their planning to roll through each album yearly.

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:

all i want from the UYI boxset is a studio version of "It tastes good, dont it?"

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

In the 90s I spent at least a few thousand on all those imports/bootlegs. Hell, a single disc was between 35-50 bucks and the 2 disc sets were between 50-100. I had a bunch of them.

Most of them weren't very good quality either. Fans needed a Live Era set to satisfy them so we couldn't go digging for bootlegs.

It's funny because I was born 85 and completely missed GN'R in their heyday. So I discovered all this stuff in the Internet era without paying a damn thing for the old demo songs, 88 Ritz show, 92 Paris show, 87 London show, etc. Guess I should be grateful for all the money I saved...

...on the other hand, I would gladly fork over $50,000 (maybe $100,000) for a time machine trip to the 1985 Sunset Strip and just follow that band around everywhere like Canter did.

Board footer