You are not logged in. Please register or login.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: DJ Ashba Recalls GN'R Fans Insulting Him After Taking Slash's Position

wasted wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Slash is a freak. I’ll take freaks.

I just think there was a back lash again the 00 line up. Image wise, the nu metal thing. Ron and Dj brought it back to a little more hard rock. Slash is GNR template, the norm and default setting. The only case for not having Slash is these discs of experimentation. Every new member brought something new to GNR it just was not always industried.

Izzy squire
 Rep: 0 

Izzy squire wrote:

Robin is very cool, buckethead is awesome, they are a great band, a great circus.Dj and ron sucks, sorry, i think that gnr whith them was  in the l.a. guns and ratt league.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Izzy squire wrote:

Robin is very cool, buckethead is awesome, they are a great band, a great circus.Dj and ron sucks, sorry, i think that gnr whith them was  in the l.a. guns and ratt league.

I think Ron was a good tour replacement with Bucket gone. And honestly, I think Ashba was ok. Just watched through the San Juan concert and he did good. Didn't butcher anything. He does come off as a knock off Slash though.

The real travesty was listening to Sebastian Bach butcher My Michelle.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I'm, like, 'I never was trying to be Slash.'

Mm-hm. Then why did Ashba only wear the Slash-wannabe top hat in GN'R? Why did he tailor his look to an approximation of Slash's, from the hat to the Les Paul with the cigarette burns on it? Everything about his stage persona in GN'R was meant to look and feel like a dollar-store version of Slash. But where Slash did all those things instinctively, Ashba's stage persona was contrived from the get-go. That, I think, is what rubbed people the wrong way; the fact that it was all calculated, you could feel there was something off about it.

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

I had no drama with dj ashba... kept the train rolling till slash came back.. more of a bumblefoot fan tho.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I'm, like, 'I never was trying to be Slash.'

Mm-hm. Then why did Ashba only wear the Slash-wannabe top hat in GN'R? Why did he tailor his look to an approximation of Slash's, from the hat to the Les Paul with the cigarette burns on it? Everything about his stage persona in GN'R was meant to look and feel like a dollar-store version of Slash. But where Slash did all those things instinctively, Ashba's stage persona was contrived from the get-go. That, I think, is what rubbed people the wrong way; the fact that it was all calculated, you could feel there was something off about it.

Didn’t he have the same look in Sixx AM? I don’t think he joined GNR and all of a sudden tried to rip Slash off. That’s who he was before. He was in a tough spot like all the other replacements. I appreciated their association for keeping the train rolling all those years. I saw the DJ era lineup live once and they put on a great 3 plus hour marathon of a show. I had no complaints other than they never released any music, but I don’t think you can blame that on DJ.

Vale

Vale wrote:

starting at 3:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAPE5Jn5hJ8

no further comments

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

Love him or hate him you gotta understand the power of the internet.
I believe him when he says he has thoughts about suicide, you can never know what's going in ones mind.

Vale

Vale wrote:
Izzyjim wrote:

Love him or hate him you gotta understand the power of the internet.
I believe him when he says he has thoughts about suicide, you can never know what's going in ones mind.

Absolutely. The internet can be cruel and I believe him when he says he had a hard time. I respect that. Not liking him or actually not liking him in that band, that spot is no reason to mindlessly insult the guy.

While I don't think he is demented or whatever people wrote about him, I nevertheless hated the showing off and posing. I don't think it did the band any good.

Appetiteforcovers
 Rep: 1 

Vale wrote:

starting at 3:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAPE5Jn5hJ8

no further comments

Oh jesus that was terrible.

Board footer