You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 2, Round 3

Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

25% of the Gnr catalog isn’t album material....b sides a plenty.

Boy ain't that the truth...which is a sad commentary for a band with such a small discography.

It's a killer discog...no doubt...and very prolific in that small window.

In an alternate universe, UYI is one album whose singles are loaded with B sides. They needed B sides for how many singles they were pushing.

On the other hand, too much quality control with Lies. The acoustic sessions should've been expanded. Axl was on fire vocally.

I still say Axl's vocals on You're Crazy is the best Axl ever put to tape.

One In A Million! UYI has about 20 rock solid, original tracks and a handful of b-sides. Yes. Lies could have expanded...maybe November Rain, Yesterday’s, The Garden, Civil War??? Tracks written acoustically around that time frame. Cornshucker!!!

Vote off your least favourite track

Eye on You 31%
If the World 13%
Mustache 44%
Quick Song 0%
Zodiac 13 0%
Tonto 13%
I'm Sorry 0%
Total votes: 16
FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Random thought unrelated to the poll, but listening to these songs again makes me realize what monsters Brain/Freese were on drums. I like Frank as the touring drummer and have even gone to great lengths defending him but wow. This drumming is phenomenal.

Sky Dog wrote:

No doubt....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Random thought unrelated to the poll, but listening to these songs again makes me realize what monsters Brain/Freese were on drums. I like Frank as the touring drummer and have even gone to great lengths defending him but wow. This drumming is phenomenal.

Also take into consideration Freese got less than zero credit during the saga except a co-writing credit for the title track at the end.

It never truly dawned on anyone that so many tracks had truly been completed on his watch.

Just like with Tobias, he deserves kudos because that original Chinese lineup had cooked up something special.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Declan94 wrote:
James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Also take into consideration Freese got less than zero credit during the saga except a co-writing credit for the title track at the end.

It never truly dawned on anyone that so many tracks had truly been completed on his watch.

Just like with Tobias, he deserves kudos because that original Chinese lineup had cooked up something special.

did freese not get credit for the blues twat prostitute riad and catcher? on the album the blues riad and prostitute are note for note the same as the freese demos. and catcher and twat are different but they are mostly the same as what freese wrote he deserves more credit imo cause the drums on the album were decided in 2000 that freese's drum style would stay on the record. but brain and frank would play them on the album someone should tweet josh freese saying that his drums on the album are basically the same as what he played.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Declan94 wrote:
James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

did freese not get credit for the blues twat prostitute riad and catcher? on the album the blues riad and prostitute are note for note the same as the freese demos. and catcher and twat are different but they are mostly the same as what freese wrote he deserves more credit imo cause the drums on the album were decided in 2000 that freese's drum style would stay on the record. but brain and frank would play them on the album someone should tweet josh freese saying that his drums on the album are basically the same as what he played.

He got one co-writing credit (CD) and doesn't play on the album at all.

Years ago... Brain said that Axl wanted him to rerecord Freese's parts exactly but with Brain's"feel".

Now that we've heard the original album as it was intended at the time, we can see how unnecessary this decision was.  I love Brain but those songs were ready to go.

It was also a sign of things to come and started the pattern of adding new members to already finished material.

Declan94

Declan94 wrote:
James wrote:
Declan94 wrote:
James wrote:

He got one co-writing credit (CD) and doesn't play on the album at all.

Years ago... Brain said that Axl wanted him to rerecord Freese's parts exactly but with Brain's"feel".

Now that we've heard the original album as it was intended at the time, we can see how unnecessary this decision was.  I love Brain but those songs were ready to go.

It was also a sign of things to come and started the pattern of adding new members to already finished material.

he might not play on the album but most of the drumming on it was his drumming played by brain and frank and i think he deserves more credit

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

he might not play on the album but most of the drumming on it was his drumming played by brain and frank and i think he deserves more credit

Josh is a fantastic drummer. He's smooth and has more feel than Brain. Slash knew enough to recruit him on his solo album too. Can't say enough about him on these demos. He's great.

Declan94

Declan94 wrote:
Link31 wrote:

Josh is a fantastic drummer. He's smooth and has more feel than Brain. Slash knew enough to recruit him on his solo album too. Can't say enough about him on these demos. He's great.

even though josh never played a show with gnr we still need him back in the band and these demos are fucking excellent

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

I think the salary is bigger than the writing credits? Royalties depend on sales. If Chi Dem is ever on a Chevrolet ad Freese will make a ton.

I think Axl said at some point that he wanted the album to have the spirit of those that toured it. That’s why Ron was on it. But actually Ron played rhythm guitar on every track.

The Costanzo digital edit version is very different to the 00s album. It has a much more electronic element and Ron brought a 00s prog rock feel to it. Frank kind of rocked out the drums on the 5 singles.

Overall though I’ve realized that it’s Axl’s lyrics and vocals that really are the song. Even on Nothing or Eye On You there’s a song there. You could do acoustic versions with Izzy and it would fly.

Board footer