You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: US Politics Thread

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Mitch, it didn't take you what...2 or 3 weeks and you're unhinged already.  You got way bigger problems than this my man...I know we're not friends and probably never will be, but I mean this with all sincerity...you're doing way more harm to yourself here then you are good unless you're just using this site to get stuff off your chest that you can't do anywhere else (and I've done that, so if you are, that's cool just let us know).

I'm helping where I can and putting everything else above politics in real life. And quite frankly if I didn't...I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have...

I will see my responsibilities through...trust me on that. I've even been responsible enough with my money that I can support my family for 6 months.

But I can't tolerate the Trump mindset...I just can't...I was in college when GW was president and never felt so outraged. I'm so tired of Trump's weaknesses being considered strengths.

Right and wrong is a point of view - the guys that crashed into the towers were on a mission from God in their minds...

I don't understand how anyone could be pro-Bernie because the math doesn't work and the practice has never worked anywhere in the world for an extended period of time.  Now maybe we'd be the first, but I don't feel like betting on that.  I'm not pro-Trump.  Never have been.  You just assume everyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong.  That is the absolute most unhealthy place you can be mitch because a lot of people don't like Trump but will vote for him anyway and almost all of those people will do so because they feel like he is better than the alternative.

Trump is America first.  Say whatever you want about him, but that's what he is.  He's kind of a throwback in that way...an isolationist.  You see nothing good about that, and that's fine.  People that do see good in it though aren't automatically bad because they see things differently than you do.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Mitch, it didn't take you what...2 or 3 weeks and you're unhinged already.  You got way bigger problems than this my man...I know we're not friends and probably never will be, but I mean this with all sincerity...you're doing way more harm to yourself here then you are good unless you're just using this site to get stuff off your chest that you can't do anywhere else (and I've done that, so if you are, that's cool just let us know).

I'm helping where I can and putting everything else above politics in real life. And quite frankly if I didn't...I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have...

I will see my responsibilities through...trust me on that. I've even been responsible enough with my money that I can support my family for 6 months.

But I can't tolerate the Trump mindset...I just can't...I was in college when GW was president and never felt so outraged. I'm so tired of Trump's weaknesses being considered strengths.

Right and wrong is a point of view - the guys that crashed into the towers were on a mission from God in their minds...

I don't understand how anyone could be pro-Bernie because the math doesn't work and the practice has never worked anywhere in the world for an extended period of time.  Now maybe we'd be the first, but I don't feel like betting on that.  I'm not pro-Trump.  Never have been.  You just assume everyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong.  That is the absolute most unhealthy place you can be mitch because a lot of people don't like Trump but will vote for him anyway and almost all of those people will do so because they feel like he is better than the alternative.

Trump is America first.  Say whatever you want about him, but that's what he is.  He's kind of a throwback in that way...an isolationist.  You see nothing good about that, and that's fine.  People that do see good in it though aren't automatically bad because they see things differently than you do.

It is bad because it's so short sighted. Isolationism is short sighted...It's incoherent with the goals of economics, imho...

you can't artificially create supply and demand by fighting trade wars with countries who make products that are in high demand in America.

I'm Scandinavian...a Norwegian deep down...and the more I learn about my ancestors I see a reasonable progressive path forward. My German brothers in Wisconsin once thought the same thing.

Ok...you want your Rocky Balboa (Trump) fighting for you...but if you don't assess the results then you just have blow hard telling you what you want to hear. What blue collar worker from the rust belt gives two shit about the stock market?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It is bad because it's so short sighted. Isolationism is short sighted...It's incoherent with the goals of economics, imho...

you can't artificially create supply and demand by fighting trade wars with countries who make products that are in high demand in America.

I'm Scandinavian...a Norwegian deep down...and the more I learn about my ancestors I see a reasonable progressive path forward. My German brothers in Wisconsin once thought the same thing.

Ok...you want your Rocky Balboa (Trump) fighting for you...but if you don't assess the results then you just have blow hard telling you what you want to hear. What blue collar worker from the rust belt gives two shit about the stock market?

Is it short-sighted though?  It's not just because you think it is.  We'd probably not all be holed up in our houses if we were more isolationist. We'd be involved in less wars.  The trade wars are long overdue. We started screwing ourselves with NAFTA...we use other country's stuff because it's cheaper, not because it's better.  So basically we use slave labor and sweatshops to import cheaper goods and you feel good about that?

Regardless, you can be America first without being an isolationist.  We can take care of ourselves first...that doesn't mean screw anybody else...it literally means take care of our own first. I know you think there are no boundaries and we're all one people (not true, but whatever).  All you do is look at the bad of everything without giving a single consideration to the good of it.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Is it short-sighted though?  It's not just because you think it is.  We'd probably not all be holed up in our houses if we were more isolationist. We'd be involved in less wars.  The trade wars are long overdue. We started screwing ourselves with NAFTA...we use other country's stuff because it's cheaper, not because it's better.  So basically we use slave labor and sweatshops to import cheaper goods and you feel good about that?

Regardless, you can be America first without being an isolationist.  We can take care of ourselves first...that doesn't mean screw anybody else...it literally means take care of our own first. I know you think there are no boundaries and we're all one people (not true, but whatever).  All you do is look at the bad of everything without giving a single consideration to the good of it.

Isn't the root of isolationism protecting what you have no matter what little you have? That's what I feel like we're doing...we've got so little left...we don't export anywhere near what we import. Ok maybe that's because our labor is too expensive...but it's also quality labor...or is it?

We're low on trade skills right? Then let's invest in that. No problem there. That's how we put American first.

Do we need infrastructure...hell yeah? How do we invest in America, fix that. That's how you put American first.

When big business is allowed to outsource US jobs and hide their money somewhere else...that's not putting America first. Americans are working against Americans...so how is that putting American first?

When the most wealthy use their money as leverage to participate fully in our economy...that's not putting America first.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

That's way too far off of what I said to even try to address on my phone.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Fair enough...I'm pro American...just not this version...

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Americans probably have one of the best lifestyles in the world. I don't get the always negative attitude. Count yourself lucky mate there are people in far worse positions like the folk who make those products you buy. I said it before to Randall and I'll say it to you. There is a whole other world out there and you come across as living in a bubble.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Americans probably have one of the best lifestyles in the world. I don't get the always negative attitude. Count yourself lucky mate there are people in far worse positions like the folk who make those products you buy. I said it before to Randall and I'll say it to you. There is a whole other world out there and you come across as living in a bubble.

Everyone here makes sure of it...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

We were not prepared for this

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I agree with the sentiment from mitchejw. This is a view I came to have years ago.

I’m from Canada, and my great grandparents were American born and raised. So I have a love for the US.

The problem is corporations that sell out there industries. They outsource for cheap slave labour.  Roots in Canada used to be made here, and the majority isn’t (we had a thriving textile industry in Toronto and Montreal), Doc Martins used to be made in England, and now the majority aren’t, Converse were made in the USA until 2001, and now they ain’t. We can go on and on about industries and there are numerous.

These corporate rats have sold out there countries.

I’ve got no problem about making a buck, I do have a problem with greed.

When you’re paying the same price for runners that were made here before and now they’re made with slave labour, that’s fucked.

Unions aren’t the problem. They have their time and place. The greatest generation coming back from WW2 saw the need for worker protection.

Our mainstream parties have sold us out. Conservatives and Liberals up here in Canada. Democrats and Republicans in the USA. There truly hasn’t been a good Republican since Richard Nixon. As for a Democrat, maybe Jimmy Carter. As Bill Clinton fucked up Glass Steagall. I liked Barrack Obama, but the bailout was bullshit.

I personally try and buy 95 percent of my stuff from ethical sources or a country with standards. I remember going to a Brian Wilson show in Toronto and he had rad shirts but, they were made in Honduras. And I declined getting it after finding out. I thought that’s fucking cheap. Probably not a choice Brian made. But, he sings about the American dream. And I just couldn’t stomach that. In 2017 when I went to see Tom Petty in Kansas City it brought me so much joy seeing that a minor detail of where the shirt was made mattered to someone in the chain of command. As every shirt they had was made in the USA. You don’t get anymore American than Tom fucking Petty, and obviously that mattered to the guy.

Henry Ford paid a fair wage, so people could buy his products.

I realize with my iPhone and some electronics it’s just not possible. Hence the five percent. However, Kyocera Mobile, and Sony Xperia has lines made in Japan. I had a dual sim one but, unfortunately it didn’t work on my mobile network at the time, and I returned it. Now it would with my ATT that is Rogers up here when roaming.

My rant is I don’t reward these assholes with my money if I don’t have to. I used to have a great store in Toronto called Groovy Shoes that had New Balance shoes made in the USA / UK, one would get nice mark downs on them too. Now the store eats shit, and I need a new source. Fuck Guns N’ Roses for being too cheap to use Los Angeles apparel for their shirts. I assume U2 are a bunch of fuckheads too. If anyone has any official concert shirts let me know. New Era baseball hats again you really need to check for the made in USA ones. And fuckhead Nike has the MLB jersey license now I doubt your authentic 300 usd jersey will be made in the USA like Majestics authentic ones were.

I’m that annoying person that looks at where shit is made on the packaging. I’ll even contact the company. I think shit should he labelled properly too. Arm and Hammer toothpaste no label up here where it is made, found out it was mass in the USA(which is good) versus Colgate being made in Mexico. Oh that Salmon is made in China, fuck that I’ll take the other then.

My rant is these fuckheads fucking their people over for greed. Then claiming they love their country and people. Yet sell them out.

Then we are beholden to China. As we can’t produce our own goods here. Imagine that. A World Health Organization saying oh not to worry China has that Covid 19 under control. The story then keeps on changing and before you know it a fucking pandemic. Yet we can’t produce goods in North America as hey I want that 3 dollar fucking T-shirt.

What the fuck would we do in a trade war with China or an actual conflict? America has to be able to stand on its own and be able to put its foot down, and that would be extremely hard with our over reliance on Chinese goods.

Now there is nothing wrong with the Chinese people let me make that clear. There is something morally wrong with its leaders, and the terrible working conditions they have.

This prevents people in the West from being able to criticize China on its human rights abuses and concentration camps for the Uighurs, and dissidents (Tibet / Hong Kong). What kind of weak-kneed leaders do we have that can’t criticize a fucking despot? Oh wait ones that don’t want to offend their source of cheap goods, yet keep allowing the working class to be fucked.

Up here in Canada our dear leader Justin Trudeau is weak on that file. Especially, with a couple Canadians jailed due to that Huawei executive being under house arrest. Oh and we still haven’t banned Huawei from 5G yet. Apparently it takes a long time for these dipshits to say no to blood money, and even when Canada’s intelligence agencies have said not to do it.

I’m going to end this long rant on a quote that I enjoy from the late Carl Sagan:

“ I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...”

Board footer