You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: '96 Album - The Original Leftovers

James wrote:

Huge is a can of worms even Axl isn't crazy enough to open. Plus he didn't want to tour in 01-02. Why would he now? I actually think Huge is a deal breaker because even bringing up his name would be an insult to Slash. If relations have thawed, why even go there? I could imagine Axl and Slash discussing the problems Slash had with Huge back then but not a suggestion of including him in a major event such as this.

I hope its Izzy and I also hope that if/when real news starts trickling out one of the first things mentioned is Izzy is on the launch pad at T-109 and counting.  I think chances of an album or at least a handful of new songs being worked on increases dramatically with him. The amount of released material in the post Izzy era of the band is not very impressive.

Also....Fortus mentioned them tinkering around with Slash material so that means Slash songs are in play and may have been for years.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Piecing together the stuff that ended up on CD and the various solo albums, it would probably have ended up being a mish-mash of Snakepit tracks, Believe in Me tracks (presumably the ones with Slash guesting on them), This I Love and the demo version of Fall To Pieces. I honestly think that Axl was right; a GN'R album with those tracks would not have set the world alight in 1996. In a post-grunge era the band needed to move forward, and rock tracks like Man in the Meadow and Beggars and Hangers-On would've been laughed out of town.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Believe in Me would not have been in play. It had already been released. Before Gilby was fired, key tracks from Pawnshop could have been in play but as we know Axl for some reason had no desire to work with him after the UYI tour yet was on Gilby's album. Go figure. I still say if you put Axl on vocals on Cure Me.... that song is in heavy rotation on rock radio and MTV. The song is bad ass as is but Axl has that secret ingredient that takes songs to a different level.

I'll never forget hearing that song for the first time. It just begged for Axl. In 2006 I talked to Gilby a few times on myspace. Asked him about that album but somehow forgot to ask if that track had been taken to GNR before he used it for Pawnshop.

11day....a GNR album in 96 wasn't supposed to set the world alight. They basically would have been transitioning from that insane UYI level to somehow see what they meant in that mid-late 90s musical landscape. They didn't need an album of epics.  Just a kick ass rock album with one ballad. That's it. Then a few years later start on the next epic.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Reading these quotes about Axl's guitar work makes me think he wrote Oklahoma himself, which is why he talked about it springing from an experience he had yet seeming to be nothing more than an instrumental for quite some time.

Tortilla_Man
 Rep: 1 

Tortilla_Man wrote:

Mid-90s-Izzy-demos-found-2019-1.png

Sky Dog wrote:

I assume your point is Axl Slash and Duff couldn’t release a song then just like they apparently can’t release a song now. Yep. Point made. Some things just don’t change. big_smile

AtariLegend wrote:

Where's this from?

Sky Dog wrote:

I think some Izzy tapes

AtariLegend wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I think some Izzy tapes

Yeah, but where? tongue

This the most interesting thing in a while. It's CD whispers material.

AtariLegend wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I think some Izzy tapes

Yeah, but where? tongue

This the most interesting thing in a while. It's CD whispers material.

the tapes showed up online in early 2019, but the tapes were handed back to GNR management before a sale was made

Board footer