You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Will new music be released in 2020?

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, fwiw theres a real good documentarys on Nevermind & Black album. I think its on youtube, just an old vh1 show or something. Butch Vig talks alot about Nirvanas recording  and Bob Rock I think is in Metallicas. Hetfield brings up a good point, that Rock went heavy on Newsteads bass sound, esp on Sandman, whereas before the bass was not on Justice. Also Kirk came up with Sandmans riff , but it was originally the longer riff every time (duh dun dunno duh duh duhhh duh danno duh) when Bob suggested they shorten it the first 3  times ( duh dun dunno duh). Kirk said he never thought that way to shorten it, but admitted it was better for pop,/radio friendly.

A UYI doc would be good. Would prolly be tough to round up many players unless the band chimes in (doubt izzy or Sorum would). Just how it took so long, how many takes and parts were in each song, what the point is of the phone calls on kohd & gitr. Kinda dumb. Its just so layered, so many tracks and takes. NR alone is a gem of a production. Hearing the piano & acoustic versions to that.

As for the music, a look into My World and what that was about, the phone calls, myb a backstory on NR and Estranged, and it was prolly just heresay but i remember a rumor back in the day Slash was going to sing on a song. If that was ever true. Probably was a mixup on Coma that it was 'his song' or he wrote it or smt.

Will new music be released in 2020?

Yes, Q1 26%
Yes, Q2 7%
Yes, Q3 2%
Yes, Q4 12%
No 52%
Total votes: 42
PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Real quick i feel like UYI was close to a masterpiece, but in the end was too overproduced. In a way , it really couldve been great, a mixing of rock, country rock, lacks punk but they couldve pulled it off, thrash (Coma) and monster ballads.

It just didnt get there and got diverted along the way. I feel like Black, Ten, Achtung & Nevermind prolly rank ahead of it for 91.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

A UYI doc would be good. Would prolly be tough to round up many players unless the band chimes in (doubt izzy or Sorum would)..

Had to quote this just to be a dick and say you’re nuts if you think Sorum would refuse a camera in his face.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A UYI doc would be good.

Not so sure about this anymore. This is where things like the passage of time, not really caring about the 'brand' or its legacy, and divergent agendas avalanche into a huge ball of shit.

All you'd get is the small handful of chestnuts....

Sorum: What's with the piano!

Slash: the rough mixes I've been hoarding for 30 years are so much better.

Duff: I was drinking so much that a few years down the road I blew my pancreas!

Adler: They kicked me out during the recording and they were using drugs too!

Axl takes a picture of his shoes or something as his contribution.

Izzy won't be involved.

They're not going to do it.

We're seeing the consequences of a major band that ignored its legacy for decades. Even when they want to do something, it'll be limited in scope and likely something its own fans aren't excited about.

I feel like Black, Ten, Achtung & Nevermind prolly rank ahead of it for 91

The older I get, the further down the list it drops for me too. The only thing I respect is its ambition. While the band was a cunt hair away from falling apart, they were essentially recording three albums.

There would've been a killer story to tell about it....in 1992.

One more thing....were not getting The Perfect Crime either.

Lemme ask ya this....

Who in GNR is going to sit around for potentially weeks editing that into a cohesive documentary?

Hell.... current management would never touch that with a ten foot pole...and I can't picture Axl, Slash, or Duff caring enough or having the attention span to follow through.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

Well someone in GnR camp basically edits Axl out of the new “Selects” they post so I’m sure someone is up for it.

Sky Dog wrote:

Nevermind is clearly the most important record of 1991.

However, I disagree on the legacy of the Illusions. At the time, they were an overtly over the top, ambitious project that had a huge impact worldwide from 91-93. Despite each record being bloated, the amount of killer classic rock in the set is quite substantial. In hindsight, I am happy they had the balls to release everything they had in essentially a box set worth of material. Someone knew that ship would sink fast so you better milk the cow while you can! axl92

Obviously, I wish Axl would have done this with Chinese as well because he had another long Cd’s worth of songs he could have released. axl

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

UYI is already a box set. Hell, it has two takes of one song with different lyrics, two covers, an electronic demo, and three songs with different singers than the bands lead singer.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

A UYI doc would be good. Would prolly be tough to round up many players unless the band chimes in (doubt izzy or Sorum would)..

Had to quote this just to be a dick and say you’re nuts if you think Sorum would refuse a camera in his face.

haha, i thought about deleting him from it. Mostly I meant other people like engineers, studio ppl etc, they're prolly long gone or unknown anymore.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

UYI is already a box set. Hell, it has two takes of one song with different lyrics, two covers, an electronic demo, and three songs with different singers than the bands lead singer.

That's what I hate. 2 Don't Cry, 2 covers neither of which I like, and 4 or 5 bad songs imho.  Take them off it and you're close to 1 album, except, some of those left are 8-10 minutes so they'd need to have knocked off 1 (Locomotive).  Anyway, we've discussed that ad nauseum here I'm sure.

Was there ever a point early on it was supposed to be 1 album?  Were they close to putting it out in late 89 or early 90?   I just recall it being a mini CD saga where no one really knew or had anything official. Plus they must've been touring like crazy for AFD all that time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Was there ever a point early on it was supposed to be 1 album?

No.

Quite the opposite, it was almost another album.

The original track list announced had three versions of Don't Cry(the demo) , Ain't Going Down, and 5-6 of the songs that wound up being on TSI.

Someone must have realized quickly that this was going overboard because when the release date announcement happened like a month later, it was changed.

I was bummed.

For starters, I wanted to hear 'Why Do You Look At Me When You Hate Me?'.

Imagine my surprise when hearing Get in the Ring. It was pure cringe.

I'll say it til I'm dead....the songs excluded from UYI should've been B sides for the singles. The only one that was is the Don't Cry demo.

They were the worst major band when it came to b sides.

Board footer