You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:

Will DACA stay in place indefinitely?
The Supreme Court's ruling Thursday was specific to how the program was rescinded, not the program's legality. It's possible, then, that the Trump administration could go back and try to end DACA again, but they have a narrow window to do so given the upcoming election. Roberts acknowledged that possibility.

"The appropriate recourse is therefore to remand to DHS so that it may consider the problem anew," Roberts wrote, citing failures by the administration to in part consider the hardship to DACA recipients.

"The basic rule here is clear: An agency must defend its actions based on the reasons it gave when it acted. This is not the case for cutting corners to allow DHS to rely upon reasons absent from its original decision," he wrote.

Professor Stephen Yale-Loehr of Cornell Law School explained: "The administration may try to terminate the DACA program with a better justification, but that will take months or years."

So the ruling was on technical grounds, but is DACA legal?
Justice Clarence Thomas, dissenting, said: "Today the majority makes the mystifying determination that this rescission of DACA was unlawful. In reaching that conclusion, the majority acts as though it is engaging in the routine application of standard principles of administrative law. On the contrary, this is anything but a standard administrative law case."

Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote separately acknowledging the plight of immigrants, but saying he did not agree with the majority opinion. "They live, go to school, and work here with uncertainty about their futures," he wrote.

He noted that that "the only practical consequence of the Court's decision to remand appears to be some delay" because the court's decision "seems to allow the Department on remand to relabel and reiterate substance."

Yea...I mean...I did this research before...I've done it again...there is ambiguity in this ruling...

Is it being sent down to the lower courts? Does this decision mean a god damned thing given Trump is just doing it anyway with no ostensible changes to anything. Was there ever any chance that Clarence Thomas wouldn't side with Trump...or Kavanaugh?

Remember the ridiculous challenges by infamous Sherrif Apario who chose to uphold his own laws?

And Congress just keeps punting this...so the president does what he has to...

the fundamental question at hand is...do we want immigrants anymore? I love when people hid behind this...'oh, we love LEGAL immigrants...' when legality isn't clear and only seems to be getting more confusing by the year.

The legality of whether or not immigrants should be allowed access to this country shouldn't be based on which country they come from. It's a disgusting precedent.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think left wing comedy shows like the Daily Show and Right wing talk radio were the worst things to ever happen to politics and the national dialogue.

I'd say the "both sides" bullshit is much worse to be honest. An absolute false equivalency if there ever was one.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

These people aren't protesters.  .

Who are we to believe? You, or our lying eyes?

There is a surplus of videos online where we can watch peaceful protesters being beaten, pepper sprayed, slammed on the ground and violently arrested. Reporters too are not immune. They've also been arrested and beaten.

Yet you're here telling us that's not what we're seeing. This is dangerous. It starts at the top, from our rotten Executive and trickles down to his enablers across this country. The same people who were screaming about government overreach and "tyranny" for the last 20 years, are the first one to embrace fascism when it's unfolds in front of us.

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't care that he's a die hard lefty.  That's great...I have tons of friends that are.

I bet you don't talk to them like you do here. Guarantee it.

PaSnow wrote:

But buzz, your saying he treats everyone like ish but your the only one pounding the drum for banning. Twice.

Relax, flagg & sg are d's to me now and then but i dont go reporting them.

karen.jpg

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yea, pizza gate was a crazy.  Kind of like the Bernie Bro who shot up congress and wounded Scalise because he had read far left conspiracies.  Of these rioters in our cities right now, who's bullshit are they buying up in truck loads?  Is it Alex Jones or Don Lemon?

Did Obama ever specifically quote a conspiracy tho?   Did a conspiracy theory ever reach the level of Obama's birth certificate where millions of crazy 'pubs were thinking he was born in Kenya??

trump is directly quoting this rhetoric. Some shit with the Muslims, Mexicans, now the Blacks etc.

Russia & North Korea tho, oh no, don't be talking bad about them. lol.  I wonder why???   Hmmmmmmmm

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

These people aren't protesters.  .

Who are we to believe? You, or our lying eyes?

There is a surplus of videos online where we can watch peaceful protesters being beaten, pepper sprayed, slammed on the ground and violently arrested. Reporters too are not immune. They've also been arrested and beaten.

Yet you're here telling us that's not what we're seeing. This is dangerous. It starts at the top, from our rotten Executive and trickles down to his enablers across this country. The same people who were screaming about government overreach and "tyranny" for the last 20 years, are the first one to embrace fascism when it's unfolds in front of us.

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Don't forget to Google 'umbrella man minneapolis'?!  The antifa dressed guy breaking Autozone windows in the first couple nights that they caught & turns out he's a trumptard.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Don't forget to Google 'umbrella man minneapolis'?!  The antifa dressed guy breaking Autozone windows in the first couple nights that they caught & turns out he's a trumptard.

That's right.

And of course nobody is claiming they aren't rioters, there are. But the point is that we have an authoritarian president who has unleashed his thugs to physically assault and kidnap American citizens exercising their First Amendment rights. He then calls them violent protesters while waving around his bible for a photo op. 

PaSnow wrote:

Did Obama ever specifically quote a conspiracy tho?   Did a conspiracy theory ever reach the level of Obama's birth certificate where millions of crazy 'pubs were thinking he was born in Kenya??

trump is directly quoting this rhetoric. Some shit with the Muslims, Mexicans, now the Blacks etc.

Russia & North Korea tho, oh no, don't be talking bad about them. lol.  I wonder why???   Hmmmmmmmm

This is whataboutism at its worst.

There is never any responsibility taken, only the pivot, always the pivot. It's taken right out of the Cold War propaganda handbook. This is what allows fascists to rise to power and that's exactly where we are today. A fascist president propped up and defended by the likes of Flagg and pooh pooh'd by people like ID.

The weakness of these men and those like them. The apathy. The excuses. The nihilism. The unadulterated cowardice in the face of injustice. The outright lies and regurgitation of propaganda. That's what's literally killing our democracy and its citizens as Rome burns.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Let's not forget about military stand offs between moms and...well...weekend robocops...this shit is all happening on Trump's watch...no accountability...

91dea476-wall-of-moms-beaten-tear-gassed-in-portland-protests.jpg

31058310-8547583-image-a-61_1595419047889.jpg

But here we are arguing about the semantics of a supreme court ruling on DACA. Disgusting shit...lack of priorities I guess...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

wearing out the report button

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't care that he's a die hard lefty.  That's great...I have tons of friends that are.

I bet you don't talk to them like you do here. Guarantee it.

You're right.  Want to know why?  Because they don't talk like you chumps do.  I treat people the way they deserve to be treated.

Board footer