You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The new and God willing improved politics thread

James wrote:

1....2....3.....GO!

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I will impose a 7 day moratorium on myself in good faith.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Good luck!

I still say we give mitch his own thread to cry about Trump in.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I will impose a 7 day moratorium on myself in good faith.

Just stop being mitch.  If it takes you 7 days to do it, great.  If it's 30 seconds from now, great.

Rocky
 Rep: -7 

Rocky wrote:

I have no idea who Biden will declare as his VP.  The media and twitterverse will revolt if she isn't black, but Harris and Rice are collateral damage that will hurt him as much as they help.  I hated the Benghazi nonsense from the Tea Party morons, but Rice outright lied on National TV for days about the cause in order to shield the administration from culpability in not forcing the Ambassador to leave when intel said an attack was coming.  How is that going to win over moderates who aren't pathological in their devotion to their side?  How are Harris's comments calling Biden a racist going to play, especially when reports state she's not apologetic for them at all?  To say nothing of her prosecutorial record and how that will play in the twitterverse. 

People can mock Trump's gaffe's, but Biden has just as many and IMHO, are just as cringe-worthy. 

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, Bidens VP choice should be interesting. I read that it might come today. So either today or tomorrow is likely. Personally, I think it'll be Susan Rice. Kamala Harris really slingshotted back in the last couple days. She too has her downside & fought hard as a prosecutor to lock people up for fairly petty crimes. (Californias 3 strike rule?)  That'd be a tough sell in todays era.

Personally, I think he should ask Condoleeza Rice.

Rocky

Rocky wrote:

I don't think Condoleeza Rice would be compatible with Biden's domestic and international objectives.  She also wouldn't be the swing vote Democrats need if they're only able to get 50 seats in the Senate.  It's the same reason John Kasich wouldn't be offered it.  Everyone can agree Trump is a blowhard, but when it comes to policy, the parties are miles apart. 

Susan Rice's comments condemning Trump for pulling out of Syria is going to be a major obstacle to overcome if the DNC wants to keep it's anti-war narrative.    Differences like this matter, and pulling in a Republican as your #2  when many doubt Biden will complete his term, is a non-starter for the establishment.  The Democrats aren't going to risk putting in another W Bush if they can get the presidency.

I think Susan Rice is the clear candidate that is qualified to be his VP and is most aligned with his vision.  I just wonder how that will affect the liberal base when her political record is put up to scrutiny.  It won't be the fairytale many are hoping for.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, but he'd have a cakewalk thru the election, by attracting moderates and centrists. So much so they could spend & help downparty tickets & Senators. A big fear tho would be if she ascended to Presidency, not the end of the world, but moreso if she then ran in 2024 and things were going well. Even tho she's ascended to President, I think she gets time to select her own VP, it doesn't mean Pelosi then becomes VP for good. It might have to go thru Senate or House vote too, but since Dems likely would hold majority, she'd pick someone moderate (Kasich) not ideal, but hey better for the country. I agree tho, very unlikely.

Rocky

Rocky wrote:

Pelosi wouldn't be the VP at all.  The speaker doesn't ascend if the VP dies or is removed.  If Biden is unable to fill his term for any reason, his VP becomes President and they appoint a VP who needs to be confirmed by the Senate.  Pelosi only becomes President if both the President and VP drop dead at the same time.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Pelosi wouldn't be the VP at all.  The speaker doesn't ascend if the VP dies or is removed.  If Biden is unable to fill his term for any reason, his VP becomes President and they appoint a VP who needs to be confirmed by the Senate.  Pelosi only becomes President if both the President and VP drop dead at the same time.

Yeah that's what I was saying. Some people think the Speaker Of The House being 3rd in line, means itd remain VP/SOTH for the remainder.

Board footer