You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: Current Events Thread

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Can you name a single thing Trump should have done that he didn't do?

Not be so blase about the virus. Prob gave some a false sense of security which in turn helped spread it.
Knew how dangerous it was but played that game with the mask. Prob gave encouragement to all those Dopes walking around with no mask which in turn helped spread the virus.
Knew the above, but still held massive events. Which in turn helps spread the virus.

He doesn't get excused because he initially acted and then let it turn to shit.

I could go on.. and on, but you did just ask for the one.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Can you name a single thing Trump should have done that he didn't do?

Not be so blase about the virus. Prob gave some a false sense of security which in turn helped spread it.
Knew how dangerous it was but played that game with the mask. Prob gave encouragement to all those Dopes walking around with no mask which in turn helped spread the virus.
Knew the above, but still held massive events. Which in turn helps spread the virus.

He doesn't get excused because he initially acted and then let it turn to shit.

I could go on.. and on, but you did just ask for the one.

Trump is a shit president. His approval numbers have always been shit and his tactics are underhanded and ruthless.

More than that he’s been extremely ineffective. You cant expect to pick fights with everyone in this country and then expect them to cooperate with you. It didn’t matter how he handled it, it all exposed just how fragmented he’s made all of us. Terrible president, terrible person, terrible husband, terrible father, just the worst

Trump is the last gasp of an era that I thought was already dead. It doesn’t matter though because even if he wins reelection, he will deal with all the cogs in the wheel’s. All the dissenters. And the fact that everyone hates each other right now. This is the America he created in just a few short years. We hate each other. You couldn’t

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:

The audio is from February 7th.  What was the WHO and CDC saying on February 7th?  Time lines matter.  You folks don't get to rewrite history because it's inconvenient.  And how dangerous is COVID?  4% of the deaths the US tracked are actual COVID deaths.  What is the mortality ratio in the US to other countries?  What is the testing ratio?  You all avoided these discussions in the COVID thread and giggled at each other's posts taunting a death count.  How does the US count deaths compared to other nations?  If you're going to try to go down this road, at least put in the effort posters like Wagszilla did.  Or don't be upset when people point our your intellectual defects. 

Cuomo and DeBlasio are responsible for New York, where the outbreak occured after they downplayed it.  Can you name a single thing Trump should have done that he didn't do?  Not even Biden can make that claim.  80% of those dead are over the age of 70 and a similar stat is limited to those in nursing homes.  I know Democrats like to believe in abuse of federal power for all things on their radar, but somehow Trump lacks the authority to keep illegals out of our country, but can force every state to adopt this unnamed policy that would have done what?  What countries handled COVID better and what did they do that caused that?

I just love the same people who celebrated Russian collusion jump on the next bandwagon.  Evidence doesn't matter.  Just blind partisan rhetoric.

Half of you didn't get your flu shot last year.  Most of you wouldn't get a COVID vaccine if it existed.  But somehow Trump is to blame because you can't wash your hands, or are a 75 year old in a nursing home with 3 comorbidities.

Is there a single thing that 45 could do that would shake your seemingly undying allegiance to him? For someone shouting blind partisan rhetoric , you seem to be oblivious to the proverbial idiom of the pot and the kettle.

Rocky
 Rep: -7 

Rocky wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:

The audio is from February 7th.  What was the WHO and CDC saying on February 7th?  Time lines matter.  You folks don't get to rewrite history because it's inconvenient.  And how dangerous is COVID?  4% of the deaths the US tracked are actual COVID deaths.  What is the mortality ratio in the US to other countries?  What is the testing ratio?  You all avoided these discussions in the COVID thread and giggled at each other's posts taunting a death count.  How does the US count deaths compared to other nations?  If you're going to try to go down this road, at least put in the effort posters like Wagszilla did.  Or don't be upset when people point our your intellectual defects. 

Cuomo and DeBlasio are responsible for New York, where the outbreak occured after they downplayed it.  Can you name a single thing Trump should have done that he didn't do?  Not even Biden can make that claim.  80% of those dead are over the age of 70 and a similar stat is limited to those in nursing homes.  I know Democrats like to believe in abuse of federal power for all things on their radar, but somehow Trump lacks the authority to keep illegals out of our country, but can force every state to adopt this unnamed policy that would have done what?  What countries handled COVID better and what did they do that caused that?

I just love the same people who celebrated Russian collusion jump on the next bandwagon.  Evidence doesn't matter.  Just blind partisan rhetoric.

Half of you didn't get your flu shot last year.  Most of you wouldn't get a COVID vaccine if it existed.  But somehow Trump is to blame because you can't wash your hands, or are a 75 year old in a nursing home with 3 comorbidities.

Is there a single thing that 45 could do that would shake your seemingly undying allegiance to him? For someone shouting blind partisan rhetoric , you seem to be oblivious to the proverbial idiom of the pot and the kettle.

Where do you see allegiance? The talking point is that Trump’s actions or lack thereof related to COVID, killed people. Where is that claim supported in anything released.

Objectively, the United States is one of the most successful nations at handling COVID on the metrics of testing and tracking at a federal level and mortality rate to infected. You can look these figures up yourself.

I don’t know if Trump deserves any credit for that. I don’t support a federal plan dictating to local governments how to manage the virus. I believe States and Counties are best able to manage their populations, and that the federal government’s job is to allocate resources and drive guidance on containment and treatment. That’s exactly what has happened and no one has yet to provide an example of how the virus would be handled better.

In March, long after Trump’s comments, we talked about flattening the curve because we all knew the cat was out of the bag. Somehow this got lost in translation,  and the daily death count became the sole focus of popular media as a method to attack Trump. You saw it celebrated here as evidence of some maleficence. Yet how the CDC counts deaths is incredibly more liberal than our European counterparts. Despite that, the federal government and the US as a whole came out better than most.

I’m simply asking what this audio reveals? No one seems willing to state what harm occurred, just that Trump sounds like an asshole. More political hit jobs from one of the most respected outlets in the world.

You confuse allegiance to Trump with not towing the line of the left wing corporate media.

Fuck Donald Trump.

But FUCK those who use their platform to peddle dishonesty and manipulation to support any effort to get Trump’s agenda out of power and replaced with identity politics and race baiting nonsense.

harmon420

harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Objectively, the United States is one of the most successful nations at handling COVID on the metrics of testing and tracking at a federal level and mortality rate to infected. You can look these figures up yourself.

But FUCK those who use their platform to peddle dishonesty and manipulation to support any effort to get Trump’s agenda out of power and replaced with identity politics and race baiting nonsense.

How about the mortality rate per capita? I feel like I've seen this data cherry picking diversion before in an Axios interview.

I find it humorous that you have scruples about dishonesty and manipulation, Mr Kettle.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Rocky wrote:

You mean when he ended flights from China while Democrats and Biden called him a xenophobe.  Or when he ended flights from Europe while Cuomo and DeBlasio were telling NYers to go out and not worry.  Which is it.  You guys don't get to have it both ways.

Cuomo & DeBlasio arent in charge of the entire nation nor do they sit in on daily briefings with the CDC & HHS

In fairness, they are in charge of one of the most populated areas in the country, and their decisions had pretty big consequences. Cumo, not counting the abhorrent disaster of NY nursing homes, allowed infected people to leave the city/state and spread it across the country, especially in Florida, and sued any state who banned New Yorkers from entering their state... Only to do the same damn thing months later. NY was the epicenter of covid and was responsible for its spread.

This could very well end Trump's re-election, but he really didn't say anything he hasn't said all along. I mean, come on guys, Fauci was on TV telling people NOT to use masks, and has admitted that he lied to us about their effectiveness because he wanted to keep them available only for first responders. Many people in the media and politics downplayed this virus.

Rocky

Rocky wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

How about the mortality rate per capita? I feel like I've seen this data cherry picking diversion before in an Axios interview.

I find it humorous that you have scruples about dishonesty and manipulation, Mr Kettle.

By all means, use that figure and rank nations. Just make sure you count deaths equally. What is it with you guys and not bothering to do basic research before committing to a position?

harmon420

harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:

By all means, use that figure and rank nations. Just make sure you count deaths equally. What is it with you guys and not bothering to do basic research before committing to a position?

Unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what "per capita" means, I don't understand how deaths could not be "counted equally." By all means, please enlighten me to the "research" ( a term that seems used very loosely these days) that has eluded me. Why aren't we getting global praise for our response and handling of this pandemic. Is this something the MSM isn't reporting?

Rocky

Rocky wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Rocky wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

Unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what "per capita" means, I don't understand how deaths could not be "counted equally." By all means, please enlighten me to the "research" ( a term that seems used very loosely these days) that has eluded me. Why aren't we getting global praise for our response and handling of this pandemic. Is this something the MSM isn't reporting?

You could start by dividing the the amount dead from the amount of confirmed cases.  Doing that for the US as of today results in a  3% (189k / 6.3M) mortality rate for anyone infected, whereas in the EU as of today, results in a 7.3% (183k / 2.5M) mortality rate. 
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

That's not a really fair comparison since the US has tested many more people than the EU, and the EU doesn't count every person suspected of having COVID as a COVID death. But it's the best argument you're going to have of comparing apples to apples.  Another great comparison would be hospitalized, but the EU doesn't have the information the US does, again supporting my original argument that the US is vastly superior is tracking and monitoring the virus. 

Most of Europe didn't have masks mandates and have just recently started to apply them in the past several weeks.  If people are going to disparage the US's handling of the virus, and hold Trump accountable for it, do the research (how it's defined in the dictionary is fine) and understand how each nation is counting its COVID numbers.  96% of those whom have died from COVID in the US had comorbidities.  I can't tell you the numbers from EU nations because they're not collecting and publishing that information.  Apples to apples and all that. 

But if you catch COVID, you're more likely to die in the EU than in the US. I don't know what other standards you want to use to evaluating the efficacy of management.  But this seems like a pretty damn good one to me.

Mortality rate by country determined by confirmed cases and deaths reported by nation:
US: 2.9%
UK: 11.7%
Germany: 3.6%
Belgium: 11%
France: 8.9%
Italy: 12.6%
Ireland: 5.9%
Canada: 6.8%

But please, tell me a better way to compare nations.  And please cite your sources as I have.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
misterID wrote:

In fairness, they are in charge of one of the most populated areas in the country, and their decisions had pretty big consequences. Cumo, not counting the abhorrent disaster of NY nursing homes, allowed infected people to leave the city/state and spread it across the country, especially in Florida, and sued any state who banned New Yorkers from entering their state... Only to do the same damn thing months later. NY was the epicenter of covid and was responsible for its spread.

This could very well end Trump's re-election, but he really didn't say anything he hasn't said all along. I mean, come on guys, Fauci was on TV telling people NOT to use masks, and has admitted that he lied to us about their effectiveness because he wanted to keep them available only for first responders. Many people in the media and politics downplayed this virus.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this, at least I don't. He acted fast and did as much as any other nation at the start, but his whole attitude and decision making later on has been terrible. That is not to mention the division in the US at the moment, which he is partly responsible for.

Board footer