You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Current Events Thread

James wrote:

Interesting how only hours after it's big news he's bringing his pets to the White House, he breaks his foot playing with one of them.

#ClownWorld

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It seems weird to me that there's no middle ground anymore.

Personally I agree with some policies that democrats hold, and I agree with some that republicans hold.

Translate that over to my view of your president and I think that some of the things he says and does are bad, and I think some of the things he says and does are good.

To me it's strange that more people don't seem to feel this way.

Everyone seems polarised - they seem to either think he's the saviour of us all or the devil incarnate. But rarely is anyone either entirely good or bad.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It seems weird to me that there's no middle ground anymore

It drives me crazy.

In the good old days, most people were in the middle. Yes they would vote blue or red but other than a few differences it was no big deal.

The extreme divisiveness, identity politics, and hyper-partisan warfare gained traction during the Obama era and went over the cliff with Trump.

You have to swallow everything on one side but if you disagree with one little thing, you gotta be "cancelled".

Also notice that it's never about issues that would help normal Americans.

Our infrastructure is literally rotting and has been for years, millions unemployed, jobs going overseas, education system crumbling, etc.

It's always extreme shit that dominates the narrative and would've been mocked years ago.

Women have penises

Defund the police in cities plagued with crime

Climate change is a hoax

Open borders

Shit like that.

It's insidious and it's destroying the West from within.

We have to get back to our roots somehow. Something has to be done about social media. It's playing a huge role in this madness.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah I think social media in a few ways is a problem.

It gives a voice to everyone to express opinions on things. This is both its blessing and its curse. The trouble is some subjects require formal training or education to properly understand - and on those topics the voices of the few who understand them properly can get lost amongst the many voices of people who only half understand it. Old technologies were gate kept to avoid this problem - but to do that on social media requires a distasteful amount of censorship. The solution to this previously was to have freedom of speech but there's reputable sources to contrast crackpot views against. Unfortunately as traditional media has also gone bad we're left with a situation where there's a lot of noise and very few trusted sources to check it against.

Secondly I think the nature of social media encourages binary thinking. Do I hit the like button or not? I know now there's also the other buttons - but essentially it usually boils down to expressing approval or disapproval of statements. Over time this polarises people as a lot of the real issues in life the answer should be "it depends" as opposed to yes/no.

Thirdly - As a recent documentary that we've probably all seen points out - the algorithms designed to continue and maximise your engagement tend to work by feeding you more of whatever is working. Long term this has the effect of pushing you down a rabbit hole of thinking - as if you express approval to either a moderate left or right wing idea you get force fed so much more from that side that you can end up radacalised pretty easily.

Fourthly people tend to be more rude and agressive online than they would in person. That's not helping either.

So we're all addicted to time in this hostile online world, where rubbish is given the same weighting as truth, where everyone either loves or hates us, and where every issue is divided into two opposing teams and whichever side you choose the system works to deepen your resolve to that way of thinking. It's really quite a mess.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

James, a hairline fracture of a foot that only requires a walking boot isn't a big deal to me. If this happened to Trump, we wouldn't even know. They'd keep it secret.

Like, why did he go to Walter Reed last year unexpectedly? Something far worse likely happened to spur a rushed trip for tests and exams. Hell, Pence was on "standby" to take over.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think it's the point they won't be forthcoming, they didn't want to talk about this until they had to. Because Andrea Mitchell brought this up, progressives are letting their cultist colors show and are attacking her for being a Trumper (Andrea Mitchell!). They sound just like righties when Chris Wallace asks Trump a tough question. There is no daylight, no separation between Trumpers and Resisters.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Your post is everything wrong with our hyper-partisan culture. It is literally destroying friendships and families.

Gone are the days everyone could peacefully coexist and every so often have a political discussion.

Now every single little thing is politicized and thanks to the media manipulation and social media echo chambers, it's been turned into a weapon.

People have to wake up. People also have to stop taking things so personal. TPTB love this shit. Everyone stays riled up fighting over Donald Trump. While that's happening, they never actually do anything for average Americans while helping our corporations loot our treasure and resources.

No one should be losing friends and family over Donald Trump and Nancy Pelosi.

You think this is about politics? These people left me, not the other way around...orbiting in my circles further and further away...

People that I personally helped numerous times when they were hitting rock bottom now feel emboldened against me...why?

Because Trump rounded up the losers of this country and got them to believe in a fallacy. I'm waiting for my life friend and now life long trump supporting convert to pay me $10k in rent and utilities that he owes me for from back in the day. Of course that won't happen for him or me...you know why? He's the entitled one...not me....

fuck policy...this shit goes way deeper than that mutherfucker

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think it's the point they won't be forthcoming, they didn't want to talk about this until they had to. Because Andrea Mitchell brought this up, progressives are letting their cultist colors show and are attacking her for being a Trumper (Andrea Mitchell!). They sound just like righties when Chris Wallace asks Trump a tough question. There is no daylight, no separation between Trumpers and Resisters.

Talk about what? Trump is god damn 75 years old just about...what's the difference?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I have been pushing Trump supporters out of my life for the past 4 years. These morons that I used to consider friends are buying into every conspiracy theory they could find. They worship Trump like a god...they're posting videos of themselves saying things like, 'I'd take a bullet for Donald Trump.'

All this love and devotion for this terrible, terrible human being. This fraud of a man. This fake business man. All he does is get fatter, play golf and rant incoherently on camera and through social media. The guy is a straight up moron.

He continues to behave like the corrupt piece of shit that he is...I would very much enjoy it if he spent the rest of his life on the run from legal authorities.

The man is a personification of everything that is wrong with this country. No matter how poorly he behaves, he's never held accountable by his deranged group of lunatics and deplorables. Donald Trump is a turd that just won't flush down the toilet.

I don't know how you can talk to them at this point.  I have zero respect for Trump supporters, especially the hardcore ones.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Talk about what? Trump is god damn 75 years old just about...what's the difference?

Well, you're kind of making my point, they didn't want the press even filming him to make him look frail. There not going to be very forthcoming on his health.

And the asshole who owes you money seems to have more problems than just liking Trump!

Board footer