You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Covid 19

monkeychow wrote:

Is anyone else finding this whole situation is messing with their interpersonal relationships?

I'm finding I'm running out of patience for friends and family that won't follow what I perceive to be basic safety standards considering the situation.

Likewise they are apparently running out of patience for me being paranoid and being a sheep who follows directions or whatever their take on it is.

Normally I'm able to maintain friendships with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and across the political spectrum...but it's kinda going beyond politics and philosophy and into reassessing people's character now. On both sides - like they do it to me too.

Normally I'd say just because you disagree on something doesn't mean you can't be friends - in fact psychologically it might even be a good reason why you should be friends....

But this stuff...seems myself and the people around me are hitting some hard limits.

Tough times.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I wear the mask and I am a Trump supporter. Haha. All I know is there is ZERO science that states wearing a mask makes you MORE likely to get sick. So what does it hurt to wear it?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Is anyone else finding this whole situation is messing with their interpersonal relationships?

I'm finding I'm running out of patience for friends and family that won't follow what I perceive to be basic safety standards considering the situation.

Likewise they are apparently running out of patience for me being paranoid and being a sheep who follows directions or whatever their take on it is.

Normally I'm able to maintain friendships with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and across the political spectrum...but it's kinda going beyond politics and philosophy and into reassessing people's character now. On both sides - like they do it to me too.

Normally I'd say just because you disagree on something doesn't mean you can't be friends - in fact psychologically it might even be a good reason why you should be friends....

But this stuff...seems myself and the people around me are hitting some hard limits.

Tough times.

I think you're dead on with your experience.

The stakes are just really high and everyone is affected. Those that don't believe what anyone else says so that they would just presume moving on as though there is no reason not to...the thing that really chaps my ass is when they say, 'see...none of this is working' while they've been breaking the rules from the get go...

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...my thing is I don't like this stuff either but it's not forever.

Like vaccine is apparently coming here in march.

That's like 2 more months of this and then things start to ease.

But so many people straight up refused to cooperate in recent weeks that my city has gone from no active cases to an outbreak happening again. So far small - but we'll see how it progresses.

I mean it's one thing when with lockdowns people are being asked to trade their whole livelyhood for a saftey - I can see why that's a problematic choice - but I'm just talking about basic stuff like not hugging and kissing friends - refusing to wear a mask when you go to the supermarket.

Like i'm not saying they have to wear a mask for the rest of time, I'm wondering why in the fuck they can't wear a mask for 8 more weeks if that's what will make the difference between hundreds of people dying or us just coasting along until the vaccine is widely available. Like to my mind that's not even political it's just kinda common sense.

Over here we have people saying stuff like "my great grandpa died so that I have the freedom not to wear this mask" but like damn...half those same grandpas would probably have signed up to the wars in the first place out of a sense of community and desire to do their part for society and protect the public interest. Sure they believed in freedom and didn't like big government all that much - but they wouldn't like the straight up selfishness and drama some of these people are making either.

I just can't see why people have turned it into politics when half the world is going to shit around us.

It blows my mind - like I would have thought in an emergency the problem would be people looting and that kinda shit - but I never would have anticipated the main problem in my region would be people just bluntly refusing to do what's clearly in their own self interest because it's mildly inconvenient. WTF.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

For the most part people i know have been following the mask rules, but it bogglws my mind when i see people fighting, hurting or even killing folks cuz a mask wasnt being worn..as time goes by i worry about my parents...and i worry about my kids and their developing social interacting skills

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It was dragged out far too long. The general public doesn't have the attention span to stay focused on something for this long. Combine that with it being politicized and disaster was guaranteed.

People are sick of it.

Like i'm not saying they have to wear a mask for the rest of time, I'm wondering why in the fuck they can't wear a mask for 8 more weeks

We were told almost a year ago that we only needed two weeks to "flatten the curve".

Now it's 8 weeks? What will the new time be in 8 weeks?

This was turned into a complete shit show. Even the so called experts like Fauci have admitted lying about it.

At some point...and we're nearing it.... people are going to say enough is enough. Lives are being destroyed because of these lockdowns.  We may never fully recover from it.

I know one thing....if this gets dragged into 2022...you'll see a far right takeover of Congress and good luck in 2024. Rest of the world is tiring of it too.

I wear a mask and gloves every time I leave the house but I'm just about ready to ditch this shit too. This isn't even close to being normal.

The Covid hand has been overplayed. I look forward to seeing how a post-Trump world handles it. I predicted it would be dropped like a hot potato and we'd swine flu our way out of it months ago...but it was a crazy prediction because we were still in Trump World.

It blows my mind - like I would have thought in an emergency the problem would be people looting and that kinda shit - but I never would have anticipated the main problem in my region would be people just bluntly refusing to do what's clearly in their own self interest because it's mildly inconvenient

The public looks to its leaders for guidance in times of such trouble. Our leaders...on both sides...tell us to not do something and then hours later they're caught doing what they told us would risk our lives.

This isn't sustainable. Something has to give.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I understand why people are getting sick of it...but just because it sucks doesn't mean we don't have to do it.

Aussie PM keeps making comparisons about how this is the toughest situation Australians have faced since WW2.

Wasn't sure if I agreed with that analogy because (a) A bunch of people got forced to fight in Vietnam and I'd take this situation over that any day and (b) WW2 was immeasurably more shit than this is so far.

This situation is crap don't get me wrong, but to equate having to take hygiene measures out in public and being asked to quartientene for a few weeks a couple of times in the year with all the hardships of the wars is insane to me.

I mean for starters WW2 ran for something like 6 or 7 years from memory.

James

James wrote:

I definitely wouldn't compare it to any war...and I'm amazed that politicians would reach that level of hyperbole.

but just because it sucks doesn't mean we don't have to do it.

I do it....but I'm reaching the point where if our leaders don't have to do it, why do I?

I'm sick of being told not to leave my house while the guy who told me went on vacation. Our governor made a bunch of wineries close while keeping his own open. He also told everyone not to have family over on holidays while going to a huge party.

Obama told everyone to mask up while his own daughters go to parties without masks.

This didn't come from the side the media demonizes as "anti-science".

If this can be compared to a war and the crisis of our time, why don't our leaders take this seriously?

The government allowed big business to stay open while decimating small business.

How do you catch the virus in a small business but don't in a big one?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

It seems like theme parks like Disneyland and Disney World are jampacked with people today. And have been during various periods over the last week or so. You can’t tell me that the theory doesn’t work and have things like this happen.

James

James wrote:

Speaking of parks, I almost went to Six Flags about a month ago. They have two new rides since the last time I went. I knew it would be a huge risk but before I could decide whether or not to pull the trigger,  I found out it was a very limited opening with most rides closed.

I wasn't going with coasters closed. It's the only reason to go anymore. Park atmospheres suck now. Just a bunch of people walking around staring at cell phones.

If they do a real opening in March/April,  I'm going.

Board footer