You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Covid 19

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It seems like theme parks like Disneyland and Disney World are jampacked with people today. And have been during various periods over the last week or so. You can’t tell me that the theory doesn’t work and have things like this happen.

And a lot of people traveled over the holidays via air travel too (back to almost pre-pandemic levels).  I get why people are tired have COVID fatigue but there are still a shit ton of infections daily and deaths are close to 4,000 deaths a day.  This is why it still matters and will go on until everyone is vaccinated and the death rate drops.

Oh did anyone read that awful story about the pharmacist who intentionally took the COVID vaccines out of a fridge and ruined them.  Story gets worse, he vaccinated like 57 people with that useless vaccine.  Totally selfish.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Speaking of parks, I almost went to Six Flags about a month ago. They have two new rides since the last time I went. I knew it would be a huge risk but before I could decide whether or not to pull the trigger,  I found out it was a very limited opening with most rides closed.

I wasn't going with coasters closed. It's the only reason to go anymore. Park atmospheres suck now. Just a bunch of people walking around staring at cell phones.

If they do a real opening in March/April,  I'm going.

I don't begrudge you of wanting to you...we're all so sick of this...but you have to realize that when you do go, you're taking a risk for everyone you come into contact with...

This is a risk a lot of people are taking and it really negates the efforts of the those that really try to shelter in place.

I understand calculated risks. We had my mother in law over for Christmas. She's 60ish. Not quite in the highest risk group but close. I typically go back to Wisconsin where a group of 30 plus of us get together. We as an extended family chose not to do it this year. First time since I was born that we didn't get together.

Other families have been going on as business as usual in Wisconsin since this all started.

It's hard for me to believe that if this we're actually a World War II experience that people would be willing to sacrifice like they did back then. You have people joining the military now for financial reasons, not moral. You have people at home who would just as soon spit on you as say hello. The only thing that matters is our economy (which some say war helps). But let's face it....this wasn't as much about Co-vid as a test of how united we really are...

We're not...not at all...I am disappointed with the character and resolve our country has shown.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It seems like theme parks like Disneyland and Disney World are jampacked with people today. And have been during various periods over the last week or so. You can’t tell me that the theory doesn’t work and have things like this happen.

And a lot of people traveled over the holidays via air travel too (back to almost pre-pandemic levels).  I get why people are tired have COVID fatigue but there are still a shit ton of infections daily and deaths are close to 4,000 deaths a day.  This is why it still matters and will go on until everyone is vaccinated and the death rate drops.

Oh did anyone read that awful story about the pharmacist who intentionally took the COVID vaccines out of a fridge and ruined them.  Story gets worse, he vaccinated like 57 people with that useless vaccine.  Totally selfish.

how could a pharmacist...who is a supposed expert with pharmaceuticals and drugs...be so damn brain washed that he will go against all his training to make an irrational point? Of course this happened in Wisconsin didn't it?

There's a real mental civil war going on in my home state. The state government there is completely deadlocked on everything and nothing will ever change.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

As far as the country being divided, it's only going to get worse.

I think a major terrorist attack, WWIII, or something of that magnitude is the only thing that could ever bring us together again.

Our society is just too far gone now.

As far as me spreading the virus goes, everyone is in this boat. You could catch it going to check your mail or going shopping.

Why does my governor and all the other elites get to go to wineries, parties, and go on vacations to Hawaii without masks but I'm supposed to sit in my house indefinitely and wear a mask and gloves when I go out?

I'm "anti-science" for questioning this even though I follow the rules but they're "pro-science" for ignoring the rules.

We're through the looking glass at this point and this insanity cannot go on indefinitely.

We're drowning in hypocrisy.  The people telling us how dangerous this is are dancing the night away without a mask or a care in the world. Only one side gets demonized for this.

How dare Karen from Kentucky or Alabama complain about not being able to get a haircut. She's a piece of shit! Deserves to die!

When Pelosi was caught getting her hair done at a salon, the people screaming for Karen to die were defending Pelosi's actions.

Karen just wanted to go to a salon.... Pelosi actually did it!

I'm starting to think this whole thing was politicized on purpose. Unfortunately, our leaders couldn't even be consistent on this angle. They couldn't put in the effort or the follow through.

It's rules for thee.... not for me.

I'm sick of it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I think your issues with COVID 19 are more political than on the science of it.  Yes, you could catch it from going shopping but if you take precautions like avoiding large groups, you reduce the chances of catching it.  Anti-science is denying that the Coronavirus exists or isn't as deadly and just pretending that life is normal when it isn't.

Both sides do it though.  The "One side" gets demonized more because they seem to catch more infections.
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/15/83369237 … f-congress

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i get the thing about the leaders being hypocritical.

To me the solution to that isn't that the rest of us give up trying to keep safe  and join the leaders though, it's more that the leaders should be forced to also do what's safe even if they don't like it either.

It's tricky though.

For me I've got a baby around - and I didn't realise until the mask situation became necessary how much the baby relies on facial communication cos she doesn't have language yet. But at the same time i have to think about what will happen to people my parents age if they catch it - or many of my other friends with questionable health. Whole thing sucks so hard.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Here's a good one....

6qvj8oohgx861.jpg

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

At this point there is no excuse for the governments of the world having commissioned a study proving the efficacy of masks and social distancing.  Not some bull shit data sample with 5 data points with data from a unique environment back in April.  They should be able to explain why wearing certain types of masks work, and how likely a person is to be exposed in a specific, real-world environments.  They can't because no model shows a giant decline with the adoption of cloth masks alone, especially over a 6 month period they have no excuse for not monitoring at the county/parish level.   My own county leaked every positive COVID patients' PHI they're aware of by placing it unrestricted on a public facing website.  And this is in a major American city that's now had almost a year to get their shit together - one of the few counties able to act autonomously from the state. 

Social distancing and sanitization are the only things that are going to stop any kind of communicable disease.  We have people who wear the same gloves to touch every surface rather than use hand sanitizer regularly, infecting everything they touch with everything they've been in contact with.  We have people who wear a $4 cotton mask they haven't washed in weeks/months that they often keep under their nose.  And social distancing goes out the fucking window in any populated area.  The protests this summer told us what the governments of the world really think about social distancing. 

I wear my mask like a good little sheep because I don't like feeling like a social pariah.  I've mainly worked from home since March, so I have little reason to venture out with my governor keeping the entertainment and food industry sporadically and arbitrarily closed since March.  And I constantly washed and sanitized my hands long before COVID.  It's not that I'm not doing it, it's that I know I'm an educated and intelligent person, and I can't explain why we're doing the things we're doing.  I know whose most affected by COVID, and I know what the CDC says is necessary to protect those rare and isolated populations.  I don't see us doing that, and I see far too many people acting fanatical in their support of lockdowns and isolationism unable to explain why they're so devout. 

No one wants to have a discussion and explain why shutting down bars or movie theatres indefinitely is acceptable or productive in combatting COVID.  They just link to a news anchor or a public official saying so, and never look at the underlying data to see if they draw the same conclusion.  It's a blind obedience and lack of individual thought and agency that scares me.   

I'm fine with disagreement.  And I'm fine with informed discussion.  But just because you didn't think to ask and research the question doesn't mean that it's not a question worth having.

How long does this continue?  When do we hold the governors of our states accountable for bungling who gets the vaccine?  Last I heard we'd made 11 million pfizer vaccines, but roughly 2 million had been administered.  How is this Trump's fault when states have had months to prepare for the eventual vaccine everyone accepted would ever manifest?  It's not brave to not think and question the road you're (we're) on.  And a lot of people feel very bold about their ignorance.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

At this point there is no excuse for the governments of the world having commissioned a study proving the efficacy of masks and social distancing.  Not some bull shit data sample with 5 data points with data from a unique environment back in April.  They should be able to explain why wearing certain types of masks work, and how likely a person is to be exposed in a specific, real-world environments.  They can't because no model shows a giant decline with the adoption of cloth masks alone, especially over a 6 month period they have no excuse for not monitoring at the county/parish level.   My own county leaked every positive COVID patients' PHI they're aware of by placing it unrestricted on a public facing website.  And this is in a major American city that's now had almost a year to get their shit together - one of the few counties able to act autonomously from the state. 

Social distancing and sanitization are the only things that are going to stop any kind of communicable disease.  We have people who wear the same gloves to touch every surface rather than use hand sanitizer regularly, infecting everything they touch with everything they've been in contact with.  We have people who wear a $4 cotton mask they haven't washed in weeks/months that they often keep under their nose.  And social distancing goes out the fucking window in any populated area.  The protests this summer told us what the governments of the world really think about social distancing. 

I wear my mask like a good little sheep because I don't like feeling like a social pariah.  I've mainly worked from home since March, so I have little reason to venture out with my governor keeping the entertainment and food industry sporadically and arbitrarily closed since March.  And I constantly washed and sanitized my hands long before COVID.  It's not that I'm not doing it, it's that I know I'm an educated and intelligent person, and I can't explain why we're doing the things we're doing.  I know whose most affected by COVID, and I know what the CDC says is necessary to protect those rare and isolated populations.  I don't see us doing that, and I see far too many people acting fanatical in their support of lockdowns and isolationism unable to explain why they're so devout. 

No one wants to have a discussion and explain why shutting down bars or movie theatres indefinitely is acceptable or productive in combatting COVID.  They just link to a news anchor or a public official saying so, and never look at the underlying data to see if they draw the same conclusion.  It's a blind obedience and lack of individual thought and agency that scares me.   

I'm fine with disagreement.  And I'm fine with informed discussion.  But just because you didn't think to ask and research the question doesn't mean that it's not a question worth having.

How long does this continue?  When do we hold the governors of our states accountable for bungling who gets the vaccine?  Last I heard we'd made 11 million pfizer vaccines, but roughly 2 million had been administered.  How is this Trump's fault when states have had months to prepare for the eventual vaccine everyone accepted would ever manifest?  It's not brave to not think and question the road you're (we're) on.  And a lot of people feel very bold about their ignorance.

I’m very concerned with what you’ve called research since the beginning of this...

I’m also concerned with your consistent pattern of blaming everyone except trump.

Every state in this country dealt with it differently based on politics. Long term consequences be damned.

Why pretend like this country is interested in science now?

Board footer