You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Current Events Thread

monkeychow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

What about BLM is hateful?

It's so frustrating to me.

Most people who support BLM just support black rights and wanting a fair go for black people.

However, the organization itself rather than the grass roots movement, is much further left than that.

My understanding is several of the founders of BLM are actually marxist and even self identified as 'trained marxists' in a speech. Among the goals of the movement you would expect such as police reform...are goals more mainstream folks may not anticipate such as a fair bit about gender identity politics, and also comments such as a willingness to "disrupt the nuclear family" model of society.

This frustrates me as being nice to black people is a logical mainstream idea, but getting into marx's philosophies and being against traditional families is not exactly for everyone in the same way.

There's similar problems on the right wing. Basically extremists taking up moderate views and using them to campaign a wider platform.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

If you don’t think there is a system of oppression in the USA that keeps black people in a pervasive, disadvantaged state, I don’t know what to tell you. Black Lives Matter isn’t about Marxists, it’s about fundamentally changing the aforementioned point through unity. That means it’s not just black people saying BLM it means white Americans have to share responsibility for where we are, acknowledge our inherent privilege in this country, and advocate for change.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

FlashFlood wrote:

If you don’t think there is a system of oppression in the USA that keeps black people in a pervasive, disadvantaged state, I don’t know what to tell you. Black Lives Matter isn’t about Marxists, it’s about fundamentally changing the aforementioned point through unity. That means it’s not just black people saying BLM it means white Americans have to share responsibility for where we are, acknowledge our inherent privilege in this country, and advocate for change.

What kind of change? And who gets it?  I don’t believe in declarative statements about people solely on their skin color. Assuming someone is worse off because of their pigment is soft racism.

I’m all on board for social programs that educate and mentor at risk youth. But adults in 21st century America are able to reach the middle class if they’re average intelligence and avoid criminal activity. The only way to break the poverty to violence cycle is increased policing to remove the violent, criminal elements. They exists regardless of ethnicity, so efforts should be focus where it’s most prevalent. But my opinion is at odds with the BLM movement, and I’ll assume at odds with yours as well. But how else do you remove drugs and people willing to use violence, but through force?

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

So you don’t agree with the very first thing I said which is there is a system of oppression of black people in this country. You point to drugs as if to say “it’s their fault.”

Your second paragraph is a euphemism for “black people do it to them selves.” It ignores hundreds of years of context.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

FlashFlood wrote:

So you don’t agree with the very first thing I said which is there is a system of oppression of black people in this country. You point to drugs as if to say “it’s their fault.”

Your second paragraph is a euphemism for “black people do it to them selves.” It ignores hundreds of years of context.

I’m asking you to explain what “system of oppression” means. It’s a vague term. No, I don’t believe a legal system of oppression exists. But I do recognize a disparity in childhood environment.

To provide a solution, you need to define the problem.

I didn’t say anything of the sort. Poverty increases likelihood of less opportunity, and encourages criminal activity. You appear to want to have it accepted without qualification that people of color are inherently worse off by virtue of some oppression you’ve yet to define. If you feel so strongly this system exists, you surely have reasons that an objective party can independently verify.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I’m asking you to explain what “system of oppression” means. It’s a vague term. No, I don’t believe a legal system of oppression exists. But I do recognize a disparity in childhood environment.

To provide a solution, you need to define the problem.

I didn’t say anything of the sort. Poverty increases likelihood of less opportunity, and encourages criminal activity. You appear to want to have it accepted without qualification that people of color are inherently worse off by virtue of some oppression you’ve yet to define. If you feel so strongly this system exists, you surely have reasons that an objective party can independently verify.

Ok I’ll define it - Slavery. It started some 400 years ago but you ignore it and think everyone is on the same playing field now. Do you think everyone has had the same opportunity since the Emancipation Proclamation?

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Rocky forgets it was only a few decades ago they couldn't sit on a damn bus.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

BLM is a dangerous political group. They are nothing like Martin Luther King, they are extremists.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Rocky forgets it was only a few decades ago they couldn't sit on a damn bus.

In the 1950’s they sat in the back of the bus. Rosa Parks wanted to sit in the front of the bus. 1955 I think...

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1350848151058604037

Board footer